US Case of Mad Cow Disease

Isaac Brock

Sep 28, 2003
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The first case of mad cow disease in the United States has been discovered in Washington state, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said Tuesday.

Further tests will be conducted in the UK to confirm the case, said Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman.

"A single cow has tested presumptive positive for BSE, commonly known as mad cow disease. Despite this finding we remain confident in the safety of our food supply," said Veneman.

"While this would represent the first finding of BSE in the United States we have worked hard to ensure our response is swift and effective."

Mad cow disease first appeared in the United Kingdom in the mid-1980s and resulted in the slaughter of millions of cattle.

Mad cow disease is believed to be linked to vCJD (variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease), a brainwasting disease in humans with no cure.

No disrespect to you guys at all and I can't stress that enough, but I hope Canada and others closes its borders to US cattle products just to show how silly it was when the US did the same to Canada. Sure, it may be tit-for-tat, but it certainly would be fair and a good lesson on knee-jerk reactions.

I think you may be surprised, I think that everyone here would expect just that. More to the point, it will definately hurt the Atkin's diet fad.

Maybe this is what the terrorist were warning about. we dotn think for one moment that our food wold be indangered.

MTN I agree. I also don't like how quick they are to say the food supply is 'safe.' I understand why, though I think it causes more worry over time than a little bit of caution and testing. Just MO

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I do not believe the USDA's decision to not premitt Canadian cattle into the U.S. was a "knee jerk reaction".

How else could it be described? The one animal never even got close to the meat supply. In fact all cattle at the ranch and ranches surrounding it for 5km were destroyed. It certainly couldn't be based on any safety concerns. There was one and only ever one case and it was isolated very efficiently. I have no doubt the same will be the case in the US. Media attention screams bloody murder if you ask me.

Originally posted by Kathianne
MTN I agree. I also don't like how quick they are to say the food supply is 'safe.' I understand why, though I think it causes more worry over time than a little bit of caution and testing. Just MO

In case you didn't know, US still does allow all cuts of meat from Canada. Only about 25% of all our product. It's been almost half a year! There's caution and then there's folly. I'm afraid, in my opinion it falls on the latter. Unfortunately, I think the US is about to find out what it feels like on the receiving end of this blow. I feel sorry for the ranchers, i really do.

Well I hope it is an isolated incident. I believe the USDA did not want to take any chances. All aspects of the situation had to be fully examined before resuming importation. I realize no Canadian beef is comming into the US as of now, but I have heard it may be sometime early next year. If Canada does not allow any US beef in I could certainly understand that. I really don't think it was knee jerk just standard operating percedure. If a beef plant is out of USDA compliance they shut them down no if- ands- or -buts about it. However the USDA does not have jurisdiction in Canada, so they have to stop imports. Nothing personal.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
In case you didn't know, US still does allow all cuts of meat from Canada.
Believe me, I know. Beef prices are at an all time high right now. Not being able to import Canadian beef is one reason why.

and Issac's point on the rancher's is true enough and lord knows they don't have it easy in the first place. Ironically this morning in the Chicago Tribune they had an article about how the ranchers were finally doing well, thanks in large part to the Atkin's diet.

Kathianne,
Your farmers are so well protected by subsides that the only way Aussie Cattle get to the U.S.A is by way of American owned companies.ie:Cargills.

Your country loves our beef, your the biggest consumer. But to get that cattle to the slaugther Aussie farmers do it without any Goverment help.

We do love you and will need in you in the future,just ask your local member to give a little.

The U.S. consumer may very well like Austrailan and Canadian beef. However most of the imported beef consumed is never known by the consumer that it is imported. If the consumer knew on certian cuts of meat( i.e. striploin or ribeye steaks) that is was not a domestic animal they may choose differently. However the consumer does not make that choice, there is no country of origin labeling required as of now.

Originally posted by Isaac Brock
Of course, I hope I wasn't coming across in such away!
No, not at all. It is just that government agencies do alot of things simply out of procedure, even if it isn't the best decision.

Graeme, I think I hear you. Australian beef is great, served mostly in the best restaurants, (saying beef, Chicago, and best restaurants may be redundant).

Our ranchers/farmers do have a hard time of it, the land here is so expensive, that they could just let housing or office buildings go up and they would be multi-millionaires. They do it cause that's what they do. So yeah, the government does subsidize, so that US and the rest of the world eats.

I live in a county that at one time was one of the most productive for corn, wheat and soy. About 5 years ago my parents sold their lot, 60x130' for more than $220K. That's not 1/5 of an acre. While land in Nebraska or Oklahoma or the Dakotas is not that expensive, it still makes the landholders cash poor.

I hope this story will shed life on the tragedy that is the Beef Industry, or rather what we should call the Beef Trust. Ranchers aren't doing well in America, b/c the 2 Beef companies in america make sure they sell their cattle at below average prices so they can buy dirt cheap.

Holy crap, beef prices are at an all time high. That is for live cattle not just processed! And what are the only two beef comapaines?

And so it begins: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...ap_on_re_as/japan_us_mad_cow&cid=516&ncid=716

Report: Japan Bans U.S. Beef Imports
11 minutes ago

TOKYO - Japan indefinitely banned imports of U.S. beef on Wednesday after a cow in Washington state tested positive for mad cow disease, the Agriculture Ministry said, depriving American beef exporters of their largest overseas market.

A ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the ban applied to beef and beef products and took effect immediately.

U.S. beef exports to Japan totaled US$842 million in 2002, according to the U.S. Meat Export Federation.

Japanese authorities have been especially leery about mad cow since the nation's herds suffered the first recorded outbreak of the disease in Asia in September 2001, causing meat consumption to plunge. Consumption, however, has since rebounded.

Tokyo moved ahead with the ban despite assurances from U.S. officials that the American beef supply was safe.

Mad cow disease, known also as bovine spongiform encephalopathy, eats holes in the brains of cattle. It sprang up in Britain in 1986 and spread through countries in Europe and Asia, prompting massive destruction of herds and decimating the European beef industry.

A form of mad cow disease can be contracted by humans if they eat infected beef or nerve tissue, and possibly through blood transfusions. The human form of mad cow disease so far has killed 143 people in Britain and 10 elsewhere, none in the United States. Blood donors possibly at risk for the disease are banned from giving.

Forum List

Back