US Case of Mad Cow Disease

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Isaac Brock, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    No disrespect to you guys at all and I can't stress that enough, but I hope Canada and others closes its borders to US cattle products just to show how silly it was when the US did the same to Canada. Sure, it may be tit-for-tat, but it certainly would be fair and a good lesson on knee-jerk reactions.

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think you may be surprised, I think that everyone here would expect just that. More to the point, it will definately hurt the Atkin's diet fad.

3. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I do not believe the USDA's decision to not premitt Canadian cattle into the U.S. was a "knee jerk reaction".

4. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Maybe this is what the terrorist were warning about. we dotn think for one moment that our food wold be indangered.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    MTN I agree. I also don't like how quick they are to say the food supply is 'safe.' I understand why, though I think it causes more worry over time than a little bit of caution and testing. Just MO

6. Isaac Brock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    How else could it be described? The one animal never even got close to the meat supply. In fact all cattle at the ranch and ranches surrounding it for 5km were destroyed. It certainly couldn't be based on any safety concerns. There was one and only ever one case and it was isolated very efficiently. I have no doubt the same will be the case in the US. Media attention screams bloody murder if you ask me.

7. Isaac Brock

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    In case you didn't know, US still does allow all cuts of meat from Canada. Only about 25% of all our product. It's been almost half a year! There's caution and then there's folly. I'm afraid, in my opinion it falls on the latter. Unfortunately, I think the US is about to find out what it feels like on the receiving end of this blow. I feel sorry for the ranchers, i really do.

8. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Well I hope it is an isolated incident. I believe the USDA did not want to take any chances. All aspects of the situation had to be fully examined before resuming importation. I realize no Canadian beef is comming into the US as of now, but I have heard it may be sometime early next year. If Canada does not allow any US beef in I could certainly understand that. I really don't think it was knee jerk just standard operating percedure. If a beef plant is out of USDA compliance they shut them down no if- ands- or -buts about it. However the USDA does not have jurisdiction in Canada, so they have to stop imports. Nothing personal.

9. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Believe me, I know. Beef prices are at an all time high right now. Not being able to import Canadian beef is one reason why.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and Issac's point on the rancher's is true enough and lord knows they don't have it easy in the first place. Ironically this morning in the Chicago Tribune they had an article about how the ranchers were finally doing well, thanks in large part to the Atkin's diet.