Urban Legends?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
Everywhere's got 'em.

I grew up on Long Island which, for those who don't know, is east of New York City. It's about 123 miles long and about 21 miles wide at its widest point. I grew up in the eastern part, Suffolk County.

In Suffolk County is a town called Lake Ronkonkoma. It's called Lake Ronkonkoma because there's a lake there call Lake Ronkonkoma.

When I was growing up, we were always told that Lake Ronkonkoma was bottomless. It's also said that Princess Ronkonkoma, "The Lady of the Lake", calls young men out to the middle of the lake and drowns them, so that they may join her (legend says she, too, drowned in the lake). Another legend simply states that the lake takes one male every year as a sacrifice.

Any urban legends from where you grew up?

Around here legend has it that the local doctors are all quacks.

Bigfoots ...

More likely is a briefcase containing $200,000 sitting in the woods somewhere between Portland and Seattle ... although I'm not sure what kind of shape the bills will be in after 6 feet of rainfall per year for 50 years ... probably slug poop by now ...

Bigfoots ...

More likely is a briefcase containing $200,000 sitting in the woods somewhere between Portland and Seattle ... although I'm not sure what kind of shape the bills will be in after 6 feet of rainfall per year for 50 years ... probably slug poop by now ...

D.B. Cooper?

D.B. Cooper?

By all accounts, D.B. Cooper was human, or at least human sized ... Bigfoots are tall suckers, 9 feet average ... and they wear size 146 shoes (US) ... and they're covered in hair ... the biggest problem with this urban legend is that Bigfoots can magically disappear, no reason for them to have to jump out of an airplane to escape hijacking prosecution ... indeed I believe Washington State DOFW regulations prohibit keeping Bigfoots in captivity, so no jail time even if we could catch a magically invisible Bigfoot skyjacker ...

I live in NJ and we have the Jersey Devil that lives in the Pine Barrens. We also have Jimmy Hoffa buried somewhere in the Meadowlands

1587481320004.jpeg

We have mini Sasquach here. Even a book on it. Had a friend raised Caspian horses, she was scared to death of them or ever going in with them. The minis braided their manes, seen it many times and know she didn't do it.

The Hornet Spooklight...not so much an urban legend as an unexplained phenomenon.

"Several scientific theories have been put forward to try to explain the lights. Swamp gas and car lights have of course been mentioned. Other ideas include minerals in the air set to light, electrical or sub-atomic disturbances caused by the New Madrid fault, and heat rising from the ground at the end of each day. The trouble with these theories is that none of them can fully explain the bizarre behavior of the light. In 1946 the Army Corps of Engineers supposedly studied the Hornet Light and could not find a cause for it. They called it a “mysterious light of unknown origin.”

Forum List

Back