University of Iowa Professor David Greene Assumes Muslims are Unamerican

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PLYMCO_PILGRIM, Sep 23, 2010.

1. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Professor -Racial Editorial -White Students Yelling USA!

There is no way the chant USA would offend muslims and there is no way someone could come to that conclusion unless they assumed Muslims hate america.

I think this professor has a very sad mindset if he really thinks this low of Muslim students in America.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,768
    could somebody please let the professor know that this could quite possibly be a "teachable moment"?

3. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    "We first kill people with our minds, before we kill them with weapons. Whatever the conflict, the enemy is always the destroyer. We're on God's side; they're barbaric. We're good, they're evil. War gives us a feeling of moral clarity that we lack at other times." Sam Keen

For some what he writes is hard to accept because it calls into question our superior moral position in a world in which morality has lost its meaning. How can one morally balance 'Shock and Awe' for instance with the evil others perform? Only, if one looks at oneself as Keen writes above.

"But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground."

Once Upon a Time...: Trapped in the Wrong Paradigm: Three Handy Rules

"I repeat: the entire war and occupation are immoral. If you criticize the Bush administration on the grounds that it "bungled" the war, this leaves one, and only one, inevitable implication: if they had prosecuted the war and occupation "competently," then you would have no complaints whatsoever. That is: you think the invasion and occupation of Iraq were justified and moral. If that's what you actually think, you belong in the Bush camp. You're arguing over managerial style, and about issues that are entirely trivial."

"A team of American and Iraqi epidemiologists estimates that 655,000 more people have died in Iraq since coalition forces arrived in March 2003 than would have died if the invasion had not occurred."

Once Upon a Time...: The Missing Moral Center: Murdering the Innocent

from article:

“The vast majority of 9/11 observances in this country cannot be seen as politically neutral events. Implicit in their nature are the notions that lives lost at the World Trade Center are more valuable than lives lost in Afghanistan, Iraq, Palestine and elsewhere; that the motives of the 9/11 attackers had nothing to do with genuine grievances in the Islamic world regarding American imperialism; and that the U.S. has been justified in the subsequent killing of hundreds of thousands in so-called retaliation.

The observance at Saturday’s football game was no different. A moment of silence was followed by a military airplane flyover; in between, students chanted “USA, USA. ” This was neither patriotism nor remembrance in any justifiable sense, but politicization, militarism, propaganda and bellicosity. The University is a public institution that encompasses the political views of all, not just the most (falsely) “patriotic.” Athletic planners should cease such exploitation for political purposes. They might at least consider how most Muslim students, American or otherwise, would respond to this nativist display; or better, Muslims and others that live their lives under the threat of our planes, drones and soldiers."

4. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    Indeed it is. I know many Muslim Americans and they are no different, in my experience, than any other "insert name" Americans....they love America as much as me and you.

Midcan, Interesting post I didn't click the links but I read it.....would you mind drawing the connection to the opening post in a more obvious way so people dont just gloss over your post.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  5. Ringel05

Ringel05 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,489
    :wtf: Your either a nut case (duh what am I saying of course you are) or you are professor Greene.

6. hipeter924

hipeter924 Not a zombie yet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,433
    I think there are enough 'ordinary' Americans more Anti-American than Muslims, to disprove this. :lol:

7. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    Interesting circumstance

Islamic fiqh has arrived at some opinions that touch on this to a degree.

Islam proscribes for muslims certain actions.

Islam Question and Answer - Judging by that which Allaah has revealed
    Islam Question and Answer - Judging by that which Allaah has revealed
    Islam Question and Answer - Should he turn to the human rights organizations to get his rights?
    Islam Question and Answer - Should he turn to the human rights organizations to get his rights?
    Islam Question and Answer - The kufr of one who rules according to other than what Allaah revealed
    Islam Question and Answer - The kufr of one who rules according to other than what Allaah revealed
    Praise be to Allaah.
    The basic principle is that it is not permissible for the Muslim to settle among the mushrikeen. This is indicated by evidence from the Qur’aan and Sunnah, and on the basis of common sense.
    Islam Question and Answer - Can Muslims settle in kaafir countries for the sake of a better life?
    Al-Haafiz Ibn Hajar said concerning the hadeeth, “I disown every Muslim who settles among the mushrikeen”:

This is to be understood as referring to those who are not safe to practise their religion there. Fath al-Baari, commentary on hadeeth no. 2825

In al-Mawsoo’ah al-Fiqhiyyah (20/206) it says:

Dar al-harb refers to every place in which the rule of kufr prevails. One of the rulings that have to do with dar al-harb is hijrah (migration). With regard to migration from dar al-harb, the fuqaha’ divided people into three categories:

(a) Those who are obliged to migrate: they are those who are able to migrate and who cannot practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is obligatory upon a female even if she does not have a mahram, if she thinks she will be safe when travelling, or if the risk of travelling is less than the risk of staying in dar al-harb…

(b) Those who are not obliged to migrate: they are those who are unable to do so, either because of sickness or because they are forced to stay in the kaafir land, or those who are weak, such as woman and children, because Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Except the weak ones among men, women and children who cannot devise a plan, nor are they able to direct their way”

[al-Nisa’ 4:98]

(c) Those for whom migration is mustahabb ( recommended )but not obligatory: they include those who are able to migrate but are also able to practise their religion openly in dar al-harb. It is mustahabb for such a person to migrate so that he can participate in jihad and increase the numbers of the Muslims.

8. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    I disagree with some of this, particularly the references to 9/11 being justified - it wasn't no matter what the real or perceived provocation. The only justifiable homicide is self-defense. But the point of moral relativism is very interesting. I'm not sure I'd say morality has lost all meaning, but it certainly doesn't mean what many seem to think it does. A point to ponder, indeed.

9. Bill O'Olberman

Bill O'Olberman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +124
    I agree that his point of view and conclusion are fundamentally retarded.

He would have to assume Muslims hate america or that all Americans who would chant "USA USA" are like Mr.Fitnah and others who constantly assume that all Muslims are evil, cant be Americans, want to kill all non muslims, muslims should be kicked out of America, etc etc etc.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,855
    :rolleyes:

He's a librarian.

More fauxrage...who cares what some random asshole thinks?