Universal Healthcare Detrimental?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by lschs77, Dec 9, 2009.

1. lschs77

lschs77 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fellow Citizens of the United States of America and Those Concerned Citizens of Other Countries,
    With President Obama's campaign for change firmly in swing, the United State's degrading health system seems to not have escaped hasty progressive legislation. Almost without apprehension, some Americans are blindly demanding universal healthcare. I have always been one to listen intently to history's lessons, which has, in turn, raised a profuse number of concerns about universal healthcare. I was hoping that fellow American citizens and citizens of other countries, those on both sides of this pivotal issue, those that have experienced the advantages and disadvantages of our current system and universal healthcare, will converge upon this forum and either lay to rest my concerns or validate them. Listed below are my trepidations with questions for thought:
    1. Increase in Insurance Premiums/ Expense of Healthcare
    Will universal healthcare lead to an increase in insurance premiums?
    Will insurance companies still be able to discriminate against older citizens and/or preexisting conditions?
    Will the expense of healthcare really decrease?
    Will the states be able to control costs?
    2. Monetary Sustainability
    Will our country be able to maintain monetary sustainability?
    3. Supply of Physicians
    Will it really be easier for lower-income people to receive healthcare versus higher-income people?
    Will doctors accept the influx of new patients or even accept certain types of insurance?
    Will the supply of physicians be maintained when medical malpractice is such a liability?
    Will defensive medicine lead to higher costs of healthcare?
    4. Average Health of Citizen
    Ultimately, will universal healthcare increase the average health of an American citizen?
    5. Is healthcare a right or a privilege?
    Is healthcare a right or a privilege?

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks

2. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    While Americans will not get Universal Healthcare (the public option in the Congress' bill was extremely meager and watered down, now even that nominal option was removed from the Senate bill) it has proven to be remarkably beneficial, not detrimental.

It's not as though Universal Healthcare is some grand unknown entity we have to consider based on pure speculation or fears, many developed nations (most in fact) have adopted one form or another of universal care and across the board they cost considerably less money than a private system, have higher levels of satisfaction among both doctors and the public, are more sustainable, and lead to longer average lifespan, lower infant mortality, and better general health of the citizenry while also not leaving anyone out in the cold without care.

It is in no one's best interest to have anything but universal care except for insurance companies.

3. lschs77

lschs77 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Infant Mortality Rate seems to be the biggest argument for universal healthcare. European countries with universal healthcare have a lower IMF than the United States. The problem is with the statistical data and how it is represented. Other European countries only count live births when the baby breathes at birth. The United States does not do this. They follow the World Health Organizations guidelines, which say an infant exists when it exhibits independent signs of life, including breathing, voluntary muscle movement, or heartbeat. The United States counts these as infant mortalities at any month of gestation, whether breathing at birth or not. Stop using this as a reason for implementing universal healthcare.
    As for your other comments, I replied with actual facts in my other thread. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm not attacking you, I'm just sick of the IMF excuse.

4. Claudette

Claudette Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    I have European freinds who think we are crazy, with a capital C, for even considering univeral healthcare here in America. These folks outta know. Its what they have in their countries.

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    then they are the vast minority.

All of the facts point obviously in ONE direction.

Universal healthcare with a single payer provides cheaper and better care everywhere it is implimented.

Why is the right always on the opposite side of the facts?

6. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    I will edit in my opinions/answers in the thread using red

hope i helped.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  7. PLYMCO_PILGRIM

PLYMCO_PILGRIM Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,863
    England and Cuba don't count then?

8. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Eh...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732
    I have European friends, too. They think we're crazy for not having it, or at least something closer to it.

9. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Eh...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,732
    I don't know about Cuba, but it's my understanding that, despite whatever drawbacks critics point to, NHS is still popular in England and overall more preferable to the way our system is working here.

Also...

In Their Own Words: The NHS Rebuttal to the Associated Press (AP) : Hisham’s Blog

10. lschs77

lschs77 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    For someone with the name truthmatters you seem to be on the wrong side of the facts. Actually universal healthcare has not lead to decrease in costs everywhere it is implemented. Instead of taking a journey across the atlantic to observe european healthcare, lets just look at Massachusetts.

Spending for the Commonwealth Care subsidized program has doubled, from $630 million in 2007 to an estimated $1.3 billion for 2009, which, unfortunately, is not sustainable.

Massachusetts provides more than 96 percent of their population with health insurance. However, due to the failure to control costs (how much insurance companies pay hospitals and physicians), insurance premiums for most residents are increasing.

The difficulty in finding a provider was felt more among lower-income adults (29%) than higher-income adults (15%), and for those with public and other coverage (32%) than those with private coverage (16%).

One in five adults said they had been told in the last 12 months that a doctor or clinic was not accepting new patients or would not see patients with their type of insurance.