Universal Background checks...not working after 2 years in Washington State...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Yep.....universal background checks...the necessary gun grabber step to get gun registration is working the way we said it would work.......

Proof the last anti-gun measure was oversold and misleading

First off, if only one case has been filed, it seems like I-594 proponents vastly oversold the number of times these guns were being sold to bad guys. Am I to believe only one bad guy aimed to purchase a gun without a background check in the last two years? If that’s the case, passing this law was hardly as urgent as proponents made it sound. But did the law suddenly stop the transfer of guns to bad guys? Probably not.

Which takes me to point two: I-594 doesn’t prevent bad guys from getting guns. It doesn’t force someone to conduct a background check. Indeed, Mercado allegedly transferred someone a gun without a background check. How’d he do that under I-594? This was supposed to be outlawed!

The law simply offers a mechanism to punish someone who doesn’t commit a background check. It doesn’t prevent it. Yet, the way it was sold was to fool you into thinking somehow as a result of this law, bad guys will suddenly be scared into following the law. It was a dishonest sell.

As I said two years ago, I-594 was never about stopping the sale of guns to bad guys. It was about inconveniencing gun owners while scaring you into thinking we live in a state with a “gun violence epidemic.”

The actual case....

First criminal case filed two years after gun background check initiative became law

Prosecutors in Island County have charged an Oak Harbor man in what is believed to be the first criminal case resulting from the gun background check initiative approved by voters nearly two years ago.

Prosecutors charged Mark A. Mercado with "unlawful transfer of a firearm" – a Phoenix Arms HP22 handgun.

In charging documents obtained by KING 5 and public broadcasting's Northwest News Network on Monday, prosecutors said Mercado sold his handgun on November 9, 2015.

It was used to murder 17-year-old John Skyler Johnson two days later.

“My grandson was murdered in my home here on the floor,” said Shari Mattson-Cooper, Johnson’s grandmother.

Sheriff''s investigators say Mercado sold the gun to 20-year-old David Nunez without seeking the required background check under Initiative 594.

That voter-approved measure requires buyers to receive a criminal background check when purchasing a gun from another citizen before a sale can move forward.

Nunez conspired with three friends to murder Johnson in an ongoing dispute. Nunez is now serving 25 years in prison.

Wow...that background check law sure did work....

Last edited:
Of course...with this crappy rate of return on universal background checks.....the next step will be to say...of course we aren't catching so many people..we need universal gun registration for this to really work....

Yep.....universal background checks...the necessary gun grabber step to get gun registration is working the way we said it would work.......

First off, if only one case has been filed, it seems like I-594 proponents vastly oversold the number of times these guns were being sold to bad guys. Am I to believe only one bad guy aimed to purchase a gun without a background check in the last two years? If that’s the case, passing this law was hardly as urgent as proponents made it sound. But did the law suddenly stop the transfer of guns to bad guys? Probably not.

Which takes me to point two: I-594 doesn’t prevent bad guys from getting guns. It doesn’t force someone to conduct a background check. Indeed, Mercado allegedly transferred someone a gun without a background check. How’d he do that under I-594? This was supposed to be outlawed!

The law simply offers a mechanism to punish someone who doesn’t commit a background check. It doesn’t prevent it. Yet, the way it was sold was to fool you into thinking somehow as a result of this law, bad guys will suddenly be scared into following the law. It was a dishonest sell.

As I said two years ago, I-594 was never about stopping the sale of guns to bad guys. It was about inconveniencing gun owners while scaring you into thinking we live in a state with a “gun violence epidemic.”

The actual case....

First criminal case filed two years after gun background check initiative became law

Prosecutors in Island County have charged an Oak Harbor man in what is believed to be the first criminal case resulting from the gun background check initiative approved by voters nearly two years ago.

Prosecutors charged Mark A. Mercado with "unlawful transfer of a firearm" – a Phoenix Arms HP22 handgun.

In charging documents obtained by KING 5 and public broadcasting's Northwest News Network on Monday, prosecutors said Mercado sold his handgun on November 9, 2015.

“My grandson was murdered in my home here on the floor,” said Shari Mattson-Cooper, Johnson’s grandmother.

Sheriff''s investigators say Mercado sold the gun to 20-year-old David Nunez without seeking the required background check under Initiative 594.

That voter-approved measure requires buyers to receive a criminal background check when purchasing a gun from another citizen before a sale can move forward.

Nunez conspired with three friends to murder Johnson in an ongoing dispute. Nunez is now serving 25 years in prison.

So no corresponding confiscation of guns? I thought you said that is what would happen.

The actual case....

So no corresponding confiscation of guns? I thought you said that is what would happen.

Asswipe....I have explained in detail how gun grabbers are going to operate....you asswipes are the ones who straw man door to door confiscation....Britain and Australia first enacted gun registration...then created mandatory turn ins.......and they simply wait for cops to find gun owners who did not comply...and destroy them...and of course the ending of the Law Commerce in Arms act and the left wing judges declaring local gun control laws constitutional.....moron...

We told you universal background checks are dumb and do nothing to stop criminals and mass shooters...Washington state is demonstrating that we are right......and it will also show in the next few years when assholes like you start to say that in order for universal background checks to really work...obviously we need to register guns....

The actual case....

Asswipe....I have explained in detail how gun grabbers are going to operate....you asswipes are the ones who straw man door to door confiscation....Britain and Australia first enacted gun registration...then created mandatory turn ins.......and they simply wait for cops to find gun owners who did not comply...and destroy them...and of course the ending of the Law Commerce in Arms act and the left wing judges declaring local gun control laws constitutional.....moron...

We told you universal background checks are dumb and do nothing to stop criminals and mass shooters...Washington state is demonstrating that we are right......and it will also show in the next few years when assholes like you start to say that in order for universal background checks to really work...obviously we need to register guns....

I know your spiel. You repeat the same crap all the time. You said background checks would result in gun confiscation. You are wrong again.

The actual case....

I know your spiel. You repeat the same crap all the time. You said background checks would result in gun confiscation. You are wrong again.

Fuck head....I have stated over and over what they will do....I have cited Britain, and Australia as how it will work....and how they did it in Germany...lie about what I said all you want...my posts are all over U.S. message......

Were you born this stupid...or did you have to practice?

The actual case....

Fuck head....I have stated over and over what they will do....I have cited Britain, and Australia as how it will work....and how they did it in Germany...lie about what I said all you want...my posts are all over U.S. message......

Were you born this stupid...or did you have to practice?

And yet, after 2 years, it didn't happen here.

I'm sure there would by now be the kind of confiscation you speak of were it not for the Second Amendment.

Instead, because of the specifications in the Second Amendment, what I believe will happen -- and is happening in such small stages that the intent is hardly noticeable, is the gradual diminution of allowable firearms configuration which will limit our right to keep arms to one single-shot, bolt-action .22 rifle, chambered for short, which we will be permitted to bear in a locked container only to and from a federally supervised range where we may purchase and will be permitted to either expend or surrender an allotted amount of ammunition.

Anyone who doubts such an obvious and probable potential is simply too young to have observed the gradually advancing imposition on the citizens' ability to exercise their Second Amendment rights.

I can remember (even in New York City) being able to buy any type of long-gun (except full-auto) with no ID requirement other than proof (draft card, driver license, etc.) of age 18+. There was no paperwork requirement and if you paid cash the receipt was made out to "Cash" unless you wanted your name on it. Compare that to what you're put through today and you can project what is coming tomorrow.

Forum List

Back