Unhappy with my SAT

Discussion in 'Education' started by akiboy, Dec 3, 2006.

1. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I wrote my SAT 1 Reasoning Test a few days back and I am unhappy. I messed up one whole Math section and left quite a few Critical Reading questions. I was hoping for a good score between 2100-2200 out of 2400 but it looks as though my hopes are dashed. So , I am planning to take the SAT again. My query is wether taking the SAT again and then getting a a good score harms your chances to get into a good college (IVY League). For example , Lets say I get 1800/2400 in the SAT which I wrote 2 days back. i write the SAT again and get 2200. I heard that most prestigious colleges always consider your best SAT score. Is this true ? Will getting a good score in my second attempt on the SAT affect my application ? Please do let me know.

Akshay

2. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I, also, have heard that they consider your best score. But, of course, that was years ago. I sympathise with you Akshay... I was disappointed in my SAT score, too. Was sick on the day I took it, and I didn't retake it; my percentile ranking assured us that the test score wouldn't be a problem for any college to which I aspired to attend (I wasn't aiming for Ivy League! ;) ). Try again. I think they really do look at your best score, or your best 3 scores, or some such thing.

3. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks . I have hope now

Akshay

4. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    The admissions office will have on problem answering that question for you, as it's on a school by school basis.

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I know for an almost certain fact that Harvard and most Ivy League colleges don't frown upon multiple retakes of the SAT to a point. The general consensus is that you can take the SAT up to three times. After that, it starts looking strange. Fortunately for you, you've still got 2 retakes left, and if you pull up your math score to above a 700 (preferably abouve a 750 since you're an international applicant), you hopefully shouldn't have a problem in that department. That being said, SATs won't get you into the Ivy League. SATs are more of a prequalifier. Do you need good SATs to go to Yale? Yes. Will having good SATs get you into Yale? No. It's more about who you are.

In addition, it sounds to me like you're focusing too much on the Ivy League. I know that everyone thinks these colleges are great, but there are other, equally good colleges out there. Don't just go for prestige. Places like UMichigan, UChicago, Northwestern, Pomona, Harvey Mudd, NYU, Duke, Vanderbilt, Boston College, Georgetown and many others are all amazing school, and equal to, if not better than, their Ivy counterparts in many departments. Just remember the Ivy League is really nothing more than a sports conference. Try to find the school that's good for you, not the one you think has the best looking degree.

6. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I got a 2200 on my SAT. But I don't particularly care about the SAT as I see most colleges (well, ones I want to go to) care only about the ACT.

7. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I found it ironic that Mr. Conley wrote all this, even though it says "never trust a foreigner" underneat Mr. Conley, next to his avatar.

Anyhow, Mr. Conley knows his stuff. Listen to him.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Retakes are not a problem. Nearly every school asks only for your highest test score and I've never heard of one asking how many times you took it.

On a side note, I made about little below 1300 (the essay portion was added a couple of years after I graduate high school, so it's out of 1600), which was a little under what I had hoped for, but my 31 ACT score carried me quite far.

9. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I second that. If you can't do well on the SAT then try the ACT. I didn't take it because my SAT scores weren't too terrible, but I had several friends who took it and, like Hobbit, did very well. The ACT I believe is more about testing general knowledge then aptitude (not that the SAT really does that), and includes sections on science in addition to reading, writing, and math. I'd definitely give it a shot. The ACT is graded out of 36, with the average I believe around a 23. Looking at the College Board's conversion chart I'd place your presumed scores at around a 28. For the schools your looking at anything about a 30-32 is better, although as an international applicant I'd aim for a 33-34. Of course ideally you'd want to get a 35 or 36, but that's about as common as someone getting a 2400 on the SAT (around 100 out of some 2 million people annually or so), and, honestly, based on your presumed SAT scores, I doubt you'd see such a substancial raise. The SAT and ACT may be different tests, but people's SAT and ACT scores generally don't diverge by such extravagent amounts

In addition, you might consider just taking your SAT scores as is. An 1800 would definitely get you into a good tier 2 school. I believe Northwestern's SAT average is around 650-680 for each section, you'd be right on that.

Finally, don't worry about it too much. You've taken the test and for now that's all you can do. I remember when I took the SATs. Not fun, and I knew I bombed them. But a few weeks later I got my scores back, and the reality was much better than I had predicted. I know you're nervous now, but don't underestimate yourself. I'm sure you did quite well.

10. akiboy

akiboy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39

Thanks for your reply Mr Conley. You actually made my day. By the ways you must be wondering why I am specifically targeting Ivy League institutions. Thats because almost all international students (especially Indian students ) attend these prestigious colleges. Plus , the atmosphere in the Ivy League institutes is very multiracial and wide. According , to a survey Harvard was found as one of the most appealing college for Indians. It was always my aim to be an ivy league student. I know it is very , very tough to get into Ivy league especially Harvard but I do want to give it a shot. But , I won't regert if I don't get into Harvard. I have given my second , third and fourth choices as Princeton , Stanford and California College of Technology.

Anyways , thanks for your reply again.

Akshay

PS:- Forgot. What is ACT ? Do I have to to write it ?

Thanks again