Unfit to lead

3 litres of sterile salt water in bags???? Granted they are very nice bags that hang upside down and all, but seriously???? Does any of that include nurses labor or anything???

That's criminal.

3 litres of sterile salt water in bags???? Granted they are very nice bags that hang upside down and all, but seriously???? Does any of that include nurses labor or anything???

That's criminal.

Well, considering it probably takes all of a minute to scan the patient, scan the bag, enter it in the computer, hang the bag and reset the pump, I doubt the charge contributing that much to my pay lol.

That doesn't include the cost of infusion. That's $115 per hour (we used to call it "pump charges", what the hospital charged for the use of the IV pump). Just for the privilege of getting an IV. The $2500 is the charge for the IV bags themselves. At the rate she was getting the IV, that worked out to 3300 cc or 3 1/3 bags of fluid.

Whoops. I was wrong about the IV bags and pump. I just re-read the email (it wasn't too clear and neither am I lol)

The charge for IV hydration is $115 per hour. That's where the $2500 comes in. That's is just for the privilege of having an IV going, but that isn't the charge for the pump. That's a daily charge. I should have realized that, sorry. And it's not the cost of the IV bags themselves. That's not included in that figure. Those are charged separately from pharmacy when we take them from stock. I have no idea how much each individual bag costs.

Sorry for the confusion. But it actually totals MORE than $2500 in charges, once you add in pharmacy charges for 4 bags of IVs and the daily pump charge. Plus the room charge. She was also getting IVP pain and nausea meds every few hours. Those would also be included on a pharmacy billing, and not part of the $2500.

Holy crap.

ETA: and that is just a simple admit. Very little intervention on our part. Pain meds, IV fluids. No diagnostics. No other meds.

When I go in tonight, I'll see if I can get the scoop on how much it costs for a day's room and board, the pump, those IV bags and the two meds (x however many doses). Not sure pharmacy will give me that info, but I can try. I'm betting it probably totals 5k or more.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back