Unemployment rate drops to 8.5%

The following link uses OMB and BLS numbers:
Unemployment Rates: Promised vs. Actual - By Veronique de Rugy - The Corner - National Review Online
In 2009, President Obama promised that the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act would “create or save” 3.5 millionover the next two years and that the unemployment rate would not rise above 8.5 percent. By the end of 2010, he promised, unemployment would have dropped to 7.25 percent. Furthermore, White House Economists forecast that without ARRA spending, the unemployment rate would increase from 7 percent to 8.8 percent.

It is always good to see some progress!

Yes it its, however the rate remains above 8 percent -- the level that Obama's team once promised would represent the ceiling on unemployment with the passage of the 2009 stimulus package.

Most of those new jobs were in the service sector, for the holiday rush. We will know more about the actual numbers in February, when the January unemployment numbers come out. Businesses traditionally hire many more workers in holiday and summer seasons.

Obama never made that promise.

Unemployment was already over eight percent when the Stimulus passed, so there was no way it could "keep unemployment below 8%"

Oh. Never mind. So you're saying she's just a lying liar?

That makes since.

Especially since unemployment was already over 8% on the day Obama took office.

Romer issued her report in November 2008 based on data that was available at that time. Between November 2008 and the time Stimulus passed in late February, we lost 2 million jobs and unemployment rose over two percent.

If Stimulus had passed when Romer made that prediction in Nov 08 there is a good chance unemployment could have been kept under eight percent. Given that Republicans chose to dick around for almost four months, we never had a chance

So let me see if I've got this straight...Romer completely misjudges the situation...the Keynesian progressive pork fest of a stimulus we ended up with doesn't do diddly...but if it had been passed QUICKER then everything would have worked out great? Well, all righty then!!!

And by the way...Romer made that prediction in early January of 2009...not November of 2008. Whoops... Spin? Moi?

My mistake...it was January

In Jan 2009 unemployment was at 7.5%. By late February, when Stimulus passed, more than 1.2 million jobs had been lost since the report was issued and unemployment had already risen above the magic 8% figure

Within weeks of the passing of stimulus, the rate of job loss reversed but we still peaked at 10.2%. If stimulus was larger and had been enacted sooner we could have kept unemployment much lower

So now you're admitting that this Administration's team of economists misjudged the state of the economy so badly that in less than two months their numbers were useless?

But for some reason you think the same team of idiots got the stimulus right? And you think that even though the President himself had to admit that there really weren't any shovel ready jobs? But spending MORE would have solved that? How, exactly do you figure?

Last edited:

Unemployment was already over eight percent when the Stimulus passed, so there was no way it could "keep unemployment below 8%"

Yeah, it was the head of his economic team, Christina Romer that made the promise...standing in front of the White House giving a press briefing. Funny how President Obama never contradicted her as he stumped back and forth across the country to get "his" stimulus passed.

The reason that it couldn't keep unemployment below 8% was that it was badly conceived and then carried out ineptly.

Romer issued her report in November 2008 based on data that was available at that time. Between November 2008 and the time Stimulus passed in late February, we lost 2 million jobs and unemployment rose over two percent.

If Stimulus had passed when Romer made that prediction in Nov 08 there is a good chance unemployment could have been kept under eight percent. Given that Republicans chose to dick around for almost four months, we never had a chance

The administration has acknowledged its projections were wrong.

PolitiFact | Will: Obama said stimulus would cap unemployment at 8 percent

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American employers stepped up their hiring in December, bringing the unemployment rate down again.

The economy added 200,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, closing out the year with 1.6 million jobs gained in 2011.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.5%, the lowest level since February 2009.

December jobs report: Hiring up, unemployment rate at 8.5% - Jan. 6, 2012

The ConservaRepubLitarians must be miserable. I'll bet they spin this as negatively as possible. After all, we wouldn't want to put Americans ahead of political agenda...

Yeah, it was the head of his economic team, Christina Romer that made the promise...standing in front of the White House giving a press briefing. Funny how President Obama never contradicted her as he stumped back and forth across the country to get "his" stimulus passed.

The reason that it couldn't keep unemployment below 8% was that it was badly conceived and then carried out ineptly.

So are you saying that the one month between inauguration and stimulus passing was the "wiondow" of do or die?

That one month was the difference between unemploiyment not going over 8 and unemplyment going north of 10?

One month??????

Wow...that is even better spin than the old "well, imagine if we did NOT have the stimulus"

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- American employers stepped up their hiring in December, bringing the unemployment rate down again.

The economy added 200,000 jobs in the month, the Labor Department reported Friday, closing out the year with 1.6 million jobs gained in 2011.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate fell to 8.5%, the lowest level since February 2009.

The ConservaRepubLitarians must be miserable. I'll bet they spin this as negatively as possible. After all, we wouldn't want to put Americans ahead of political agenda...

why would we spin it?

It proves we were correct when we said "take the fear of the Bush Tax Cuts expiring out of the minds of the job creators and they will creat jobs"

No reason to spin it.

So let me see if I've got this straight...Romer completely misjudges the situation...the Keynesian progressive pork fest of a stimulus we ended up with doesn't do diddly...but if it had been passed QUICKER then everything would have worked out great? Well, all righty then!!!

And by the way...Romer made that prediction in early January of 2009...not November of 2008. Whoops... Spin? Moi?

In Jan 2009 unemployment was at 7.5%. By late February, when Stimulus passed, more than 1.2 million jobs had been lost since the report was issued and unemployment had already risen above the magic 8% figure

Within weeks of the passing of stimulus, the rate of job loss reversed but we still peaked at 10.2%. If stimulus was larger and had been enacted sooner we could have kept unemployment much lower

So now you're admitting that this Administration's team of economists misjudged the state of the economy so badly that in less than two months their numbers were useless?

But for some reason you think the same team of idiots got the stimulus right? And you think that even though the President himself had to admit that there really weren't any shovel ready jobs? But spending MORE would have solved that? How, exactly do you figure?

With an economy losing 725,000 jobs a month........yes time did matter

I'm "happy" the economy is finally starting to grow and create jobs.

I don't think this President has done anything to make that happen. As a matter of fact I think his policies are responsible for the rather slow growth we've been experiencing. If Barack Obama is reelected next November I'm also quite sure that he will use the EPA and other Federal agencies to try to make fossil fuel use in this country as expensive as he can...something that will put a halt to any growth we would have been seeing.

Spin? You mean like this?:
Table A-15. Alternative measures of labor underutilization
U6 Unemployment Rate: 15.2%

California Unemployment Rate: 10.9%
http://www.calmis.ca.gov/file/lfmonth/countyur-400c.pdf
Yeah, the "recovery" is in full swing! :D

then why diod the administration give billions of dollars to organizations and companies that werent ready to spend it yet

why would we spin it?

It proves we were correct when we said "take the fear of the Bush Tax Cuts expiring out of the minds of the job creators and they will creat jobs"

No reason to spin it.

The Bush tax cuts have been in affect for ten years and we have lost four million jobs

So rushing a bad stimulus plan into place would have made things better? How does that work exactly?

I don't think this President has done anything to make that happen. As a matter of fact I think his policies are responsible for the rather slow growth we've been experiencing. If Barack Obama is reelected next November I'm also quite sure that he will use the EPA and other Federal agencies to try to make fossil fuel use in this country as expensive as he can...something that will put a halt to any growth we would have been seeing.

Obama DID help the economy.

He appproved continuation of the Bush tax cuts for the job creators.

One item in 3 years he listened to the GOP...and look at what resulted....positive signs.

Cool stuff.

why would we spin it?

No reason to spin it.

LOL! Cracks me up! There are still people gullible enough to think the tax thing was ever an issue. :lol:
So you think Obama was SO ALL POWERFUL that employers who experienced an increase in demand of product or services, wouldn't hire people because he existed! That's just hilarious! I'm hiring a new person in Apr / May. Guess what taxes has to do with that? Nothing. Guess what would happen if I get hit with a 2% bump? I would still hire based on that Supply / Demand thingy.
See junior, someday if you own or run a business, you'll understand that.

In the meantime, I'll turn on FOX so I can se what your opinions on today's events will be. For now, time to go back to work...

why would we spin it?

No reason to spin it.

The Bush tax cuts have been in affect for ten years and we have lost four million jobs

You need to understand economics....for if you did you would ot have said what you just said.

We hit a recession. We do every 4-6 years...market saturation is usually the cause.

To make matters worse, the housing bubble burst....but that did not cause the recession....but it contributed to the loss of jobs...

During a recession...profits are down....sometimes losses are commonplace.
Jobs will be lost....and that hapopened

But the real issue was....after the recession ends...to get those employers to hire again.

With the threat of the Bush Tax Cuts expiring for them, they were hesitant to hire.....for they just spent 3 years of liottle demand..

The threat was alleviated......and they are starting to hire.

It is not rocket science.

One item in 3 years he listened to the GOP...and look at what resulted....positive signs.

Cool stuff.

Bush tax cuts added $2 trillion and counting to our debt and resulted in a net loss of jobs

why would we spin it?

No reason to spin it.

LOL! Cracks me up! There are still people gullible enough to think the tax thing was ever an issue. :lol:
So you think Obama was SO ALL POWERFUL that employers who experienced an increase in demand of product or services, wouldn't hire people because he existed! That's just hilarious! I'm hiring a new person in Apr / May. Guess what taxes has to do with that? Nothing. Guess what would happen if I get hit with a 2% bump? I would still hire based on that Supply / Demand thingy.
See junior, someday if you own or run a business, you'll understand that.

In the meantime, I'll turn on FOX so I can se what your opinions on today's events will be. For now, time to go back to work...

You have proven time and time again to be naive as it pertains to business and economics.

I refuse to spend my time dealing with your regurgitation of talking points that have no concrete backing...just theory.

Grow up...learn about what you debate about...then get back to me.

Cool stuff.

Bush tax cuts added $2 trillion and counting to our debt and resulted in a net loss of jobs

Nowhere and no how can you prove that tax cuts result in a loss of jobs....it would make absolutely no sense,

the recession and the bursting of the housing bubble resulted in lost jobs.

I suggest you start with that basic premise.

The stimulus worked.

Course it did. It lined the pockets of Obama contributers just like it was supposed to.

Shame it didnt help the economy.

Correct! It lined the pockets of the millions who donated to Obama's 2008 campaign, by giving them jobs.

Nicely said, Avatar!
thumbsup.gif

Forum List

Back