Unemployment rate at 22%?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by JBeukema, Mar 4, 2011.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    more

2. skeptic

skeptic BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Williams definition of unemployment is his own. The BLS actually does measure what Williams wants to call unemployment.

I am not sure why this is truly important. Esp since Williams himself seems to say that what he wants to call unemployment is in fact underemployment.

3. mnbasketball

mnbasketball Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I am not sure why this is truly important. Esp since Williams himself seems to say that what he wants to call unemployment is in fact underemployment.

It means that there are no jobs left for them as the corp's of America have seen fit to turn us into a low cost third world population that when completely accomplished they will then bring back enough work to fill the underemployment figures.

4. william the wie

william the wie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,605
    There is no good measure of unemployment just different definitions of it.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    this seems more realistic in general, given slow growth, increasing inflation, and most importantly energy costs:

Gallup Finds U.S. Unemployment Hitting 10.3% in February

6. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    It is important if you happen to be unemployed at the moment. The additional 14% (22%-8.9%) of our citizens who conveniently are not counted as being unemployed by the government are still seeking employment, discouraged or not, or at least many of them are. Therefore, things are almost 3 times as bad as the U.S. Government really wants you to know.

Immie

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. skeptic

skeptic BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sort of. Discouraged workers are doing something. Maybe they went back to school, became self employed, decided to retire, are working for cash or are staying home with the kids so they don't have to pay 2/3 of their salary into daycare.

Before this recession began I was telling people that unemployment would only recover when the baby boomers retired themselves out of the workforce. That is essentially what is happening.

Under employment is real, but I have never been hungry and stopped looking for work either. Quite the opposite.

8. Immanuel

Immanuel Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,224
    I will be 50 in two months, unfortunately I am pre-maturely grey and bald on top. I probably look more like mid 50's than 49. I have been unemployed for a year. It has been brutal out there over the last year. So, when we start talking about unemployment, I kind of get frustrated when the government tells me it is not as bad as it seems.

I'm working on a business plan and considering doing bookkeeping for small businesses where I live. It really may be the only hope I have to finding employment.

Immie

9. edthecynic

edthecynic Censored for Cynicism

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,696
    I love how CON$ only use the U3 rate for the GOP, but suddenly with a Dem as president, the U3 rate is worthless. Please show one time when St Ronnie's U3 rate was 10.8% that the CON$ insisted that that rate was inaccurate and they cited the U6 or Gallup or Shadow rates!!!

This time in Reagan's term the U3 was 10.4% so Obama is still doing better than Reagan.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  10. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,009