UN Urges US to End Cuba Embargo

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007

By EDITH M. LEDERER – 2 days ago

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. General Assembly voted for the 16th straight year Tuesday to urge the United States to end its trade embargo against Cuba, whose foreign minister accused the U.S. of stepping up its "brutal economic war" to new heights.

The 192-member world body approved a resolution calling for the 46-year-old U.S. economic and commercial embargo against Cuba to be repealed as soon as possible.

"The blockade had never been enforced with such viciousness as over the last year," Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque told the assembly, accusing President Bush's administration of adopting "new measures bordering on madness and fanaticism" that have hurt Cuba and interfered in its relations with at least 30 countries.

Delegates in the General Assembly chamber burst into applause when the vote in favor of the resolution flashed on the screen — 184 to four with one abstention. That was a one-vote improvement over last year.

The vote came less than a week after Bush delivered his first major address on Cuban policy in four years, attacking the communist government and challenging the international community to help the island shed Fidel Castro's rule.

The United States has no diplomatic relations with Cuba, lists the country as a state sponsor of terror and has long sought to isolate it through travel restrictions and a trade embargo. This year, it stepped up enforcement of financial sanctions.

Castro, 81, temporarily ceded power to his brother Raul in July 2006 after undergoing intestinal surgery, and has not been seen in public for more than a year.

The Bush administration sees Castro's failing health as an opening for change. Little is different under Raul Castro, 76, and Bush said in his speech that the U.S. will make no accommodations with "a new tyranny."

"It is long past time that the Cuban people enjoy the blessings of economic and political freedom," U.S. diplomat Ronald Godard said just before Tuesday's vote.

"We urge member states to oppose and condemn the Cuban government's internal embargo on freedom, which is the real cause of the suffering of the Cuban people," he added.

Perez Roque accused the United States of violating international law, depriving Cuban children of medication, and even preventing Cuban writers from participating in a book fair in Puerto Rico.

He expressed Cuba's solidarity with U.S. movie producer Oliver Stone, who was attacked by the U.S. government for filming in Cuba, and activist director Michael Moore, who is being investigated for visiting Cuba.

"It is McCarthyism of the 21st century," Perez Roque said.

"Without doubt, as you well know, the brutal economic war that has been imposed on Cuba hasn't only affected Cubans," he added, pointing to banks and companies in many countries that have been hurt by the U.S. financial measures.

Perez Roque accused the U.S. of ignoring the 15 previous resolutions "with arrogance and political blindness."

"Cuba will never surrender," he said. "It fights and will fight."

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gsrftsLzidsgfjOWheBaOgbnVCgQD8SJM9M00

:idea:

The vote came less than a week after Bush delivered his first major address on Cuban policy in four years, attacking the communist government and challenging the international community to help the island shed Fidel Castro's rule.

The United States has no diplomatic relations with Cuba, lists the country as a state sponsor of terror and has long sought to isolate it through travel restrictions and a trade embargo. This year, it stepped up enforcement of financial sanctions.

Castro, 81, temporarily ceded power to his brother Raul in July 2006 after undergoing intestinal surgery, and has not been seen in public for more than a year.

The Bush administration sees Castro's failing health as an opening for change. Little is different under Raul Castro, 76, and Bush said in his speech that the U.S. will make no accommodations with "a new tyranny."

"It is long past time that the Cuban people enjoy the blessings of economic and political freedom," U.S. diplomat Ronald Godard said just before Tuesday's vote.

"We urge member states to oppose and condemn the Cuban government's internal embargo on freedom, which is the real cause of the suffering of the Cuban people," he added.

:idea:

I've never really understood this. Why the embargo of Cuba specifically? I'm aware of the missile crisis and the Bay of Pigs. I understand that it's a 'communist' state (though communist probably isn't the right word), and I understand the perceived threat of the country's proximity to the US mainland.

But I still don't get the hard line stance by administration after administration.

i agree.

especially since we have no qualms with dealing with commie china.

But....don't Forget...it was AOK..when Jf Kenndy...
and Clinton/Gore carried it on...

It's just NOW....that it is a MAJORE PROBLEM....:eusa_whistle:

The Un...can go kiss some....They are not our keepers....

Time for us to get out of the UN, and kick them to the curb...where they belong...

I think they should be relocated in the Middle East somewhere...(Iran sounds good),I'm SURE they will feel safe and comfy there...

Time for us to get out of the UN, and kick them to the curb...where they belong...

I don't know whether you looked at the link in the first post, but it indicates that this is the 16th straight year that the UN has voted in this manner (for the end of the embargo), which actually takes us back to the first Bush administration.

Do you hate the fact that the UN voted this way, or do you just hate the UN? Why get out of the UN? What's your problem with ending the embargo?

I don't know whether you looked at the link in the first post, but it indicates that this is the 16th straight year that the UN has voted in this manner (for the end of the embargo), which actually takes us back to the first Bush administration.

Do you hate the fact that the UN voted this way, or do you just hate the UN? Why get out of the UN? What's your problem with ending the embargo?

Our ancestors didn't fight and die for this country, in order to have a body of countries(who happen to be hostile towards us, if you haven't noticed).... take ORDERS FROM....

yes I am hostile towards the UN....They DO NOT have anything that is good towards us....The United States of America...
I'd like to see them move to Cuba or Iran or North Korea
or Hell as far as I'm concerned....

The embargo could of ended Yrs ago....with the LEADER OF CUBA....
He is the reason for their suffering.............NOT US...
And leave it to the worthless UN, and people like you.... to try and make it like it was OUR FAULT...

And leave it to the worthless UN, and people like you.... to try and make it like it was OUR FAULT...

Er...I never said it was anyone's fault. All I said was I didn't understand it. I requested an explanation, you chose to be insulting.

You don't know what my opionion is about Cuba, or about the UN for that matter. You never chose to ask, you just assumed. I said that I didn't understand America's position on Cuba, you chose to think that this meant I did not support it. I suppose I don't support it, but only because I don't know what it is, not because I disagree with it.

If you tell me why there is an embargo, I'll tell you if I support it or not. I'll also tell you my opinion of the UN.

Or you can just continue to assume. From the tone of your post, it seems you have your mind made up already, but I could be wrong.

Er...I never said it was anyone's fault. All I said was I didn't understand it. I requested an explanation, you chose to be insulting.

You don't know what my opinion is about Cuba, or about the UN for that matter. You never chose to ask, you just assumed. I said that I didn't understand America's position on Cuba, you chose to think that this meant I did not support it. I suppose I don't support it, but only because I don't know what it is, not because I disagree with it.

If you tell me why there is an embargo, I'll tell you if I support it or not. I'll also tell you my opinion of the UN.

Or you can just continue to assume. From the tone of your post, it seems you have your mind made up already, but I could be wrong.

I apologize....I thought I was speaking to the person who posted the article...
My anger wasn't directed at you, it was at the article and the UN...

I will stand by what I said though about the UN and Cuba.....:cool:

I apologize....I thought I was speaking to the person who posted the article...
My anger wasn't directed at you, it was at the article and the UN...

I will stand by what I said though about the UN and Cuba.....:cool:

Accepted, and thanks for clarifying.

My only reason for wanting to know why there is an embargo on Cuba is that my wife and I were looking at places to go on vacation. We were watching a travel show and they had a feature about Cuba which looked quite beautiful.

But then my wife said she wasn't allowed to go there. I honestly thought she was joking.

Accepted, and thanks for clarifying.

My only reason for wanting to know why there is an embargo on Cuba is that my wife and I were looking at places to go on vacation. We were watching a travel show and they had a feature about Cuba which looked quite beautiful.

But then my wife said she wasn't allowed to go there. I honestly thought she was joking.

If you really don't know what it is all about, you'll have to read up on it....And as I mentioned it goes all the way back with JF Kennedy...

This article made it sound like it was WORSE because of this President, when it has been going on for both Democrat and Republican Presidents...

And I still stand my comments about the Un...and for Cuba and some people here in the United States for making it sound like the suffering of Cuba is because of us, instead of the Leader of Cuba, Fidel Castro...

Hope you find a nice place to vacation....

OK I must be having a dumb moment. Miami what?

This is all down to lobbying by anti-Castro activists in Miami?

Yes. I believe it does. There's no other rational reason for it. We deal with the former soviet states. We deal with China. We deal with every nasty dictatorhip in the world. But little Cuba????

And for the record, I thought it stupid when Bill Clinton didn't change it either. But as you might recall, he had other issues to deal with ... like pointless investigations, so didn't need the hassle of the Newt Gingrich types yelling about what a bad dude Castro is.

I hear Havana is beautiful, though. And it's also my understanding that all the financial groups, like the Carlyle Group, are all set to go down and exploit it as soon as Castro kicks and are probably already heavily invested. Wonder how much Haliburton has in. ;)

And don't mind Steffie... she;s an angry rightie... gets upset by people who don't agree with her sad little mindset. ;)

oh... last thing about Cuba. Technically your wife CAN go there. There's no State Department regulation keeping her out. It's a Treasury Department regulation and it prevents her SPENDING AMERICAN MONEY there.

Kinda silly that the Treas. Dept. is keeping that kind of ridiculousness going. The absurdity of it kills me. ;)

yea.. i get the feeling that ole stephie would refuse pennicilin from a liberal doctor.... and them blame him for her pneumonia!

yes clinton should have ended the embargo. does hearing that make your little conservative hemorrhoid a little less angry, stephie?

:clap2:

Yes. I believe it does. There's no other rational reason for it. We deal with the former soviet states. We deal with China. We deal with every nasty dictatorhip in the world. But little Cuba????

Selective sanctions. Every country does it. Britain bitches like crazy about the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe (rightly so) but is perfectly happy to push for trade agreements with China. Of course it's easier to rattle your sabre when the economic impact is minimal.

oh... last thing about Cuba. Technically your wife CAN go there. There's no State Department regulation keeping her out. It's a Treasury Department regulation and it prevents her SPENDING AMERICAN MONEY there.

Wow - I never knew that. Maybe we'll take another look at it then.

Selective sanctions. Every country does it. Britain bitches like crazy about the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe (rightly so) but is perfectly happy to push for trade agreements with China. Of course it's easier to rattle your sabre when the economic impact is minimal.

But think about it. There's really no where else in the world I couldn't get a visa and a plane ticket to go to. Kinda bizarre, IMO.

Wow - I never knew that. Maybe we'll take another look at it then.

These are the treasury department regulations with respect to Cuba. I'm not sure what your nationality is or where you're living, so I don't know what the effect of the regs would be. I do know people who have been there, though and said it is going to be an amazing place to go to once Castro dies and the government can take a deep breath and get over it.

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/cuba.shtml

I think they should be relocated in the Middle East somewhere...(Iran sounds good),I'm SURE they will feel safe and comfy there...

I agree. Lets see how long their overdue parking tickets go uncollected in Iran.

We continue sanctions on Cuba because we think it will be an easy one to topple. It isn't. But that doesn't change the sanctions. Cuba is too damn close to us for comfort being a communist nation friendly to every little third world, piece of shit dictator. If they had any money they could become dangerous fast, and that is why we continue sanctions.

This embargo is the most useless piece of foreign policy going. It has done absolutely nothing for the people of Cuba, and has had the perverse effect of keeping Castro in power since he can use it to beat up on the US when he has problems at home.

This embargo is the most useless piece of foreign policy going. It has done absolutely nothing for the people of Cuba, and has had the perverse effect of keeping Castro in power since he can use it to beat up on the US when he has problems at home.

And how is it exactly the reason Castro has stayed in power?

Forum List

Back