UN Approves Ban Ki-Moon as New Secretary General

Discussion in 'General Global Topics' started by onedomino, Oct 13, 2006.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    [​IMG]

Today, the UN General Assembly approved Ban Ki-Moon, former South Korean Foreign Secretary, as the new UN General Secretary. He takes over on 1 January. Good luck to Ban. And goodbye to Kofi Annan, who cannot leave soon enough. There is no point in rehashing the UN’s very poor performance on the major issues of war and peace during Annan's tenure. We know that painful litany. To be fair, there is plenty of blame to go around. But who will forget Annan’s oil for food legacy of corruption? Think Kofi’s going to move back to Ghana? NYC should get ready for a wealthy immigrant.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    A moony?:D

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Just another illegal.

4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hands up, how many think the US will pull out of UN within the next 10 years?

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    GAWD I HOPE SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I think it's a real possibility. Really. I may be wrong, but from what I'm picking up the US may be returning to isolationism with a twist, miltary stays where they are, more or less troops, but no great shakes. We make the real players make choices and back or not.

I could be wrong, but it's what I read.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I feel it. For whatever that's worth.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Thanks, NK is test for the real dilemma, Iran. Those that are at risk must react, we'll back.

9. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Sometimes I think to hell with it: evict the UN and let it move to Paris, or some other city where appeasers and collaborators are welcome, and be done with it. But New York is the capitol of the planet and the UN should remain on First Avenue. Yes, the UN fails far more than it succeeds, but it is the most significant world forum that exists for resolving international problems and taking collective action. America should never give up any of it sovereignty to the UN, but that does not mean that America should withdraw. Ultimately we exist in a multi-cultural world, within which countries compete with ideas. America needs a forum to express its ideas and values. Clearly, the structure of the UN is going to evolve, particularly the UNSC, and hopefully for the better. It is more adaptive that America influences this change, than to pick up our marbles and go home. For example, in the future and much to France’s horror, the UNSC will probably consist of America, China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I say, let it or any replacement consist of
    China, EU, Russia, India, Japan, and the 15 revolving members. Just not the US. Truth is, we are funding nearly 1/2 of UN budget, not including the cost of housing and forgiving crimes and tickets via 'diplomats'; which is committed to destroying the position of US in the world. It's numbers versus right, at least from a US point of view. Seems none of it is reconcilable, so we should pick up our marbles and say, 'Go for it, just without us.'