UK court to decide on Mallya's extradition

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
This guy stole so much money from people. I hope victims will be able to recover their money.

---

Mallya argues the case is politically motivated and has appealed against extradition citing the condition of Indian jails.

On Dec 5, Mallya has offered to pay 100 percent of the public money and also urged the government and bank to take it. The offer from the businessman came days prior to the UK court's verdict on whether Mallya can be extradited.

He tweeted, "I see the quick media narrative about my extradition decision. That is separate and will take its own legal course. The most important point is public money and I am offering to pay 100% back. I humbly request the Banks and Government to take it. If payback refused, WHY ?"

In an earlier tweet, Mallya said: "Politicians and Media are constantly talking loudly about my being a defaulter who has run away with PSU Bank money. All this is false. Why don’t I get fair treatment and the same loud noise about my comprehensive settlement offer before the Karnataka High Court. Sad."

Vijay Mallya, owner of the now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines who now lives in the UK, fled India in March 2016. He owes around Rs. 9,000 crore to banks and faces trial on different counts ranging from defaulting of loans and money syphoning.

On Nov 22, Bombay High Court dismissed a plea filed by Mallya seeking a stay on the Enforcement Directorate's request to declare him a fugitive economic offender and confiscate his properties.

The Enforcement Directorate wants Mallya to be tagged a "fugitive" under the the Fugitive Economic Offenders’ Act, 2018.

Once someone is named a fugitive economic offender, the prosecuting agency has the powers to confiscate properties of the accused.

UK court to decide on Mallya's extradition on Monday | Indiablooms - First Portal on Digital News Management

This guy stole so much money from people. I hope victims will be able to recover their money.

---

Mallya argues the case is politically motivated and has appealed against extradition citing the condition of Indian jails.

On Dec 5, Mallya has offered to pay 100 percent of the public money and also urged the government and bank to take it. The offer from the businessman came days prior to the UK court's verdict on whether Mallya can be extradited.

He tweeted, "I see the quick media narrative about my extradition decision. That is separate and will take its own legal course. The most important point is public money and I am offering to pay 100% back. I humbly request the Banks and Government to take it. If payback refused, WHY ?"

In an earlier tweet, Mallya said: "Politicians and Media are constantly talking loudly about my being a defaulter who has run away with PSU Bank money. All this is false. Why don’t I get fair treatment and the same loud noise about my comprehensive settlement offer before the Karnataka High Court. Sad."

Vijay Mallya, owner of the now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines who now lives in the UK, fled India in March 2016. He owes around Rs. 9,000 crore to banks and faces trial on different counts ranging from defaulting of loans and money syphoning.

On Nov 22, Bombay High Court dismissed a plea filed by Mallya seeking a stay on the Enforcement Directorate's request to declare him a fugitive economic offender and confiscate his properties.

The Enforcement Directorate wants Mallya to be tagged a "fugitive" under the the Fugitive Economic Offenders’ Act, 2018.

Once someone is named a fugitive economic offender, the prosecuting agency has the powers to confiscate properties of the accused.

UK court to decide on Mallya's extradition on Monday | Indiablooms - First Portal on Digital News Management

I'm not too familiar with this particular case, but a bank robber usually doesn't get off by just giving the money back.

---

I'm not too familiar with this particular case, but a bank robber usually doesn't get off by just giving the money back.
I am sure they would like the option.

---

I am sure they would like the option.

He was given plenty of opportunity to get his act together.

UK court orders Vijay Mallya extradition to India

A London court on Monday ordered extradition of liquor baron Vijay Mallya to India, where the now defunct Kingfisher Airlines boss is wanted for alleged in financial irregularities and loan default amounting to an estimated Rs 9,000 crores. The Vijay Mallya extradition case has been referred to UK Secretary of State Sajid Javid, who will pass an order based on the verdict.

In a setback to Mallya, Westminster Magistrates’ Court Chief Magistrate Judge Emma Arbuthnot ruled that that there was “no sign of a false case being mounted against him”, adding he could be extradited to India to stand trial on the charges brought by the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Department, a PTI report said.

“Having considered evidence as a whole. There is a case to answer,” said Judge Arbuthnot, who was said to be extremely critical of how loans were granted and then used.

Mallya can file for a permission to appeal in the UK High Court against the ruling.

The 62-year-old has been on bail since his arrest on an extradition warrant in April last year, and the high-profile extradition trial had been going on since December 4 last year. A series of hearings have taken place in the last more than a year, though only seven days had been initially earmarked for it.

Mallya owes Rs 9,000 (including taxes) to 17 banks in India.

London court orders Vijay Mallya extradition to India

Forum List

Back