Uh Oh!

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
Hah looks like the good Pope was involved in some dirty business. Is there any way the cardinals can remove a pope from power? Because if these allegations are true then he doesn't need to be the voice of one of the largest religions in the world. This is indefensible if true.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBD3WLVHCE.html

It appears that he is legally immune however.

Powerman said:
Hah looks like the good Pope was involved in some dirty business. Is there any way the cardinals can remove a pope from power? Because if these allegations are true then he doesn't need to be the voice of one of the largest religions in the world. This is indefensible if true.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBD3WLVHCE.html

It appears that he is legally immune however.

innocent until proven guilty

manu1959 said:
innocent until proven guilty

Fuck that. He'll get legal immunity. You need to hold leaders to a higher standard. This needs to be looked into. You shouldn't get off the hook that easy.

Powerman said:
Fuck that. He'll get legal immunity. You need to hold leaders to a higher standard. This needs to be looked into. You shouldn't get off the hook that easy.

The Catholic Church has been corrupt almost since the beginning. Catholics must like it that way or they would have done something about it. Actually they did, those people are called Lutherans. It's just another colorful aspect of Catholicism. All the Catholics I know accept that the Church is corrupt but love it anyway.
:smoke:

nucular said:
The Catholic Church has been corrupt almost since the beginning. Catholics must like it that way or they would have done something about it. Actually they did, those people are called Lutherans. It's just another colorful aspect of Catholicism. <b>All the Catholics I know accept that the Church is corrupt but love it anyway.</b>

Their churches are corrupt? The ones they attend? And they're doing nothing about it? And you know this to be true? And you're doing nothing about it? Why?

Shattered said:
Their churches are corrupt? The ones they attend? And they're doing nothing about it? And you know this to be true? And you're doing nothing about it? Why?

"The Church". Catholics call Catholicism as a whole "the Church". Whether their specific church or basilica is corrupt varies. They may not know for sure about their church but they know "the Church" has been corrupt for centuries and accept it. Why am I not doing anything about it? I'm not Catholic, so I don't care. I was talking about my friends.
:chillpill

nucular said:
"The Church". Catholics call Catholicism as a whole "the Church". Whether their specific church or basilica is corrupt varies. They may not know for sure about their church but they know "the Church" has been corrupt for centuries and accept it. <b>Why am I not doing anything about it? I'm not Catholic, so I don't care.</b> I was talking about my friends.
:chillpill

I see.. So as long as you're not Catholic, it's ok for people you 'know' to molest small childen?

So how is your not caring because you're not part of it any more justifiable than them not doing anything about it?

Shattered said:
I see.. So as long as you're not Catholic, it's ok for people you 'know' to molest small childen?

So how is your not caring because you're not part of it any more justifiable than them not doing anything about it?

I don't think it's OK for priests to molest small children, but those are not my friends and relatives who are Catholic. I'm talking about the rank and file. When I say I don't care, I mean I am not a part of the Catholic Church, so I am not in a position to reform it. I don't think I have to justify that, do I? Are we responsible for organizations we don't belong to or relate to? I do contribute money to an organization that brings pedophile priests to justice. I don't see your point.

from the story:

The Vatican and the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops have insisted that the secret church procedures in the sex abuse case were not designed to cover up abuse nor to prevent victims from reporting crimes to law enforcement authorities. The document deals with church law - not keeping secrets from secular authorities, they say.

"To insinuate that this letter from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith is part of a Vatican conspiracy is a total and complete misunderstanding of the purpose of the letter," Archbishop Joseph Fiorenza said in a statement. He heads the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese and is also named as a defendant in the suit.

It sounds more to me as if they may have taken something out of context and exaggerated it, like good lawyers would do, in order to allege a larger conspiracy in an attempt to make more money. It would be interesting to see how the lawsuit would go, hopefully he isn't released from the lawsuit. I would love to see how a judge would rule.

nucular said:
The Catholic Church has been corrupt almost since the beginning. Catholics must like it that way or they would have done something about it. Actually they did, those people are called Lutherans. It's just another colorful aspect of Catholicism. All the Catholics I know accept that the Church is corrupt but love it anyway.

...shut up. That's about all I can say to something that assinine.

EDIT: Becuase I don't have alot of online time left and I know I'm gonna get some reply like "Oh Ho! Running from the truth!".

To clarify, its like hearing a KKK rally. When someone displays such a staggering level of ignorance and/or stupidity, no logical argument can penetrate their thick layer of bigotry.

And since I'm on a roll here, what are some other colorful "colorful aspects of Catholicism"? Are you talking about the fact that we take fresh newborn babes and feast on their flesh? Ooh, or how about how us scary Catholics (hisssssss) worship are actually a Satanic cult? Or about how we all get together every Sunday night for a gay sex orgy!

I used to think this kind of garbage died out in the 19th century. You no doubt veiw yourself as a super tolerant liberal, in truth you're a worthless hypocrite. Why MY religion has to be the only one left on the planet that still has Open Season on it, I have no idea. But whatever, honestly. Bigots will be bigots. But between your hate-filled garbage and the malignant bile that Powerman spews everyday, I tend to get a bit frusterated how otherwise rational people can be so perverse.

But hey, KKK guys can be nice sometimes too.

theim said:

EDIT: Becuase I don't have alot of online time left and I know I'm gonna get some reply like "Oh Ho! Running from the truth!".

To clarify, its like hearing a KKK rally. When someone displays such a staggering level of ignorance and/or stupidity, no logical argument can penetrate their thick layer of bigotry.

And since I'm on a roll here, what are some other colorful "colorful aspects of Catholicism"? Are you talking about the fact that we take fresh newborn babes and feast on their flesh? Ooh, or how about how us scary Catholics (hisssssss) worship are actually a Satanic cult? Or about how we all get together every Sunday night for a gay sex orgy!

I used to think this kind of garbage died out in the 19th century. You no doubt veiw yourself as a super tolerant liberal, in truth you're a worthless hypocrite. Why MY religion has to be the only one left on the planet that still has Open Season on it, I have no idea. But whatever, honestly. Bigots will be bigots. But between your hate-filled garbage and the malignant bile that Powerman spews everyday, I tend to get a bit frusterated how otherwise rational people can be so perverse.

The church does have a history of corruption. Are you denying that?

theim said:

Which part of my statement do you disagree with, that the church has been corrupt, or that my Catholic friends accept that? The first part of the statement is a fact, unless you care to disprove it, and the second part you can't know anything about unless you know the Catholics I know. I don't understand why you're flying off the handle. Must be stressful living in Madison with all those hippies running things.

Powerman said:

Actually I will go with the idea that there are bad folks in any place, at any given time. Much of what has been considered 'evil doings' of the Church, have been wrongs of individuals and otheres that were above them and should have stopped/prosecuted/removed them. Then again, being the Catholic Church, wrongs have been assigned that were not what they have been taught to be, I.E., the Crusades were not what we were taught.

Nor was Pius as bad as he has been accused of in WWII regarding the Jews:

http://www.enterstageright.com/archive/articles/0805/0805pius.htm

I am NOT a defender of what Catholics do wrong, but the Church, meaning what Christ taught, not what men do, is what matters to me.

Powerman said:

So what? You have a history of corruption. Are you denying that?
For that matter, even some saints have a history of corruption.

What's your real point P-man? (as if I didn't know)

ScreamingEagle said:
So what? You have a history of corruption. Are you denying that?
For that matter, even some saints have a history of corruption.

What's your real point P-man? (as if I didn't know)

I don't have a history of corruption. I find it funny that people around here hate me so much they will respond to a simple factual statement that I make just to blow off steam. It's hilarious.

But you asked what my point is? My point is that the Catholic Church has a dark past and they have seemed to turn things around until the whole child molestation thing came to surface. They definitely handled that wrong. Now that we find out that the leader of the Church might have been involved with some of this I would say that it is crucial for the Church to not go down the wrong path again on this one. If they just sweep this under the rug and ignore it they'll create some image problems for themselves.

Powerman said:
I don't have a history of corruption. I find it funny that people around here hate me so much they will respond to a simple factual statement that I make just to blow off steam. It's hilarious...

I don't hate you P-Man; that would be un-Christian of me. I do feel kinda sorry for you, though. May God shine His face upon you and bless you abundantly.

Powerman said:
I don't have a history of corruption. I find it funny that people around here hate me so much they will respond to a simple factual statement that I make just to blow off steam. It's hilarious.

But you asked what my point is? My point is that the Catholic Church has a dark past and they have seemed to turn things around until the whole child molestation thing came to surface. They definitely handled that wrong. Now that we find out that the leader of the Church might have been involved with some of this I would say that it is crucial for the Church to not go down the wrong path again on this one. If they just sweep this under the rug and ignore it they'll create some image problems for themselves.

No corruption whatsoever? Goodness, we have perfection within our midst. :halo:

Despite some dark spots the Catholic Church also has a glorious and bright history. It has done probably more good in this world than all the other various beliefs combined. The fact that men are fallible and that a church run by men is therefore also fallible (as with all organizations) probably eludes you because you are so perfect yourself. :rolleyes:

The left wing is in full open attack mode upon the Catholic Church in case you are not aware of this fact. The liberal press will play up any and all negative publicity they can lay their hands on. You are nothing but a gullible pawn dancing to their tune.

Oh, and I also don't hate you either. However, I do hate the left wing agenda that spawns fomenting fools.

"The left wing is in full open attack mode upon the Catholic Church in case you are not aware of this fact. The liberal press will play up any and all negative publicity they can lay their hands on. You are nothing but a gullible pawn dancing to their tune."

This is what I don't get. The Pope is the largest human icon of faith in the world and he is a defendent in a sex scandal. This is HUGE news. The fact that this has seen such little publicity completely ruins your idea that the left wing media is out to attack this man. If this were Tom Brady it would be all over the fucking news. Yet it's the freaking pope and you don't hear shit about it. Tell me that isn't weird. This is actually relevant news and it's getting underplayed if anything.

Forum List

Back