Uh Oh!

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Powerman, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hah looks like the good Pope was involved in some dirty business. Is there any way the cardinals can remove a pope from power? Because if these allegations are true then he doesn't need to be the voice of one of the largest religions in the world. This is indefensible if true.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBD3WLVHCE.html

It appears that he is legally immune however.

2. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    innocent until proven guilty

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Where have YOU been living the past 20 years? :)

4. Powerman

Powerman Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Fuck that. He'll get legal immunity. You need to hold leaders to a higher standard. This needs to be looked into. You shouldn't get off the hook that easy.

5. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    The Catholic Church has been corrupt almost since the beginning. Catholics must like it that way or they would have done something about it. Actually they did, those people are called Lutherans. It's just another colorful aspect of Catholicism. All the Catholics I know accept that the Church is corrupt but love it anyway.
    :smoke:

6. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Their churches are corrupt? The ones they attend? And they're doing nothing about it? And you know this to be true? And you're doing nothing about it? Why?

7. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    "The Church". Catholics call Catholicism as a whole "the Church". Whether their specific church or basilica is corrupt varies. They may not know for sure about their church but they know "the Church" has been corrupt for centuries and accept it. Why am I not doing anything about it? I'm not Catholic, so I don't care. I was talking about my friends.
    :chillpill

8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I see.. So as long as you're not Catholic, it's ok for people you 'know' to molest small childen?

So how is your not caring because you're not part of it any more justifiable than them not doing anything about it?

9. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I don't think it's OK for priests to molest small children, but those are not my friends and relatives who are Catholic. I'm talking about the rank and file. When I say I don't care, I mean I am not a part of the Catholic Church, so I am not in a position to reform it. I don't think I have to justify that, do I? Are we responsible for organizations we don't belong to or relate to? I do contribute money to an organization that brings pedophile priests to justice. I don't see your point.

10. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It sounds more to me as if they may have taken something out of context and exaggerated it, like good lawyers would do, in order to allege a larger conspiracy in an attempt to make more money. It would be interesting to see how the lawsuit would go, hopefully he isn't released from the lawsuit. I would love to see how a judge would rule.