UFC 74: Randy Couture v. Gabe Gonzaga

Who will win the Heavyweight Championship matchup?

• Total voters
You know, this kills me... I almost always root for the wrestler (unless it's a homo agenda extremist like Rampage) so I'd like for Randy to win, but I think Gonzaga will win by TKO. I think John McCarthy's going to have to stop this one. Randy's a warrior, but he's getting old, and Gonzaga isn't some fat slug like Sylvia. He's muscular and quick and an excellent striker.

You know, this kills me... I almost always root for the wrestler (unless it's a homo agenda extremist like Rampage) so I'd like for Randy to win, but I think Gonzaga will win by TKO. I think John McCarthy's going to have to stop this one. Randy's a warrior, but he's getting old, and Gonzaga isn't some fat slug like Sylvia. He's muscular and quick and an excellent striker.

Seems to me I heard this same stuff before his last fight. Age means nothing in a fight. It comes into play with recovery time. I can still go with same energy I could 20 years ago. I'm just going to hurt a lot longer from it.

I agree with you. I just think that Gabriel Gonzaga is head and shoulders above Tim Sylvia as a fighter. He matches up with Couture better. Gonzaga = Bigger version of Liddell with lethal kicks and slightly less refined punches. If this is a ground'n'pound, Couture's chances are a lot better. If it's a kickboxing match, I think Gonzaga wins.

Regardless of who wins, we can all agree that this never gets old:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkYcJV_3Pj8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkYcJV_3Pj8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

I am in complete agreement with you on this one. I'll be rooting for Captain America too, I just think Gonzaga is a fucking beast. His BJJ is incredible for a heavyweight. I was sold on his KO power after he knocked Crocop the fuck out. Plus Gonzaga's been training like there's no tomorrow. But hey, if we're wrong, this fight just adds to Randy's legend and a dream fight with Fedor becomes that much more exciting.

I got Gonzaga by TKO after some brutal GNP for 4 rounds.

Regardless of who wins, we can all agree that this never gets old:

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkYcJV_3Pj8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HkYcJV_3Pj8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Terrorists have been circulating this on the net just in case they run into Crocop.

The current betting odds for:

Randy "The Natural" Couture vs Gabriel "Napao" Gonzaga

Randy Couture --- +110
Gabriel Gonzaga --- -130

Georges "Rush" St-Pierre vs Josh "Kos" Koscheck

Georges St-Pierre --- -230
Josh Koscheck --- +180

Joe Stevenson vs Kurt Pellegrino

Joe Stevenson --- -240
Kurt Pellegrino --- +190

--------------------------
They have Randy as the underdog but not by much.

Just to explain how it works:
If you bet on Gonzaga to win, you'd need to put down $130 to win $100. If you bet $100 on Randy, you'd get $110 back if he wins. Koscheck looks like the best bet to make money, plus IMO he has a much better chance of winning that fight than the line suggests.

I came accross this quote today.... pretty funny..

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare

Hey snowman! Looks like he really is going to fuck Chuck...

"It’s been a deal years in the making, but finally, one of mixed martial arts’ unquestioned greats – former PRIDE Champion Wanderlei Silva - will be returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s Octagon this December for the first time in over seven years to take on the best 205-pound fighters in the world.

“Many fighters have a dream of fighting for the UFC, and as a champion for six years in Japan, my dream has always been to have the UFC belt,” said Silva. “Today, I’m one step closer to this goal.”

“As crazy as this sounds, this is the pinnacle of my seven year career in this company,” said UFC President Dana White. “I’m so excited to have this guy under contract. He grabbed my arm and looked me in the eyes like one of his pre-fight staredowns and he said ‘I’m gonna fight so good for you, you’re gonna see the best fights ever from Wanderlei Silva.’”

The signing of Silva, which took place in the Zuffa offices in Las Vegas Friday afternoon, is the culmination of years of pursuit and hard work by White, who weathered a series of ups and downs to get the Brazilian bomber in the UFC, where potential matchups with the likes of former UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Chuck Liddell await.

The 31-year old Silva, known by fight fans as “The Axe Murderer” for his ultra-aggressive style and finishing ability, began his career almost 11 years ago in his native Brazil, fighting in Vale Tudo bouts that pushed him to the limit as he honed the skills that would soon make him one of the most feared fighters on the planet."
http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=7253

I wonder who'll get the title shot first, Shogun or Wandy?

08/26/2007
Naturally Disastrous - Couture Stops Gonzaga in Three to Retain CrownBy Thomas Gerbasi

LAS VEGAS, August 25 &#8211; This is starting to become a little redundant. A forty-plus fighter gets overlooked and doubted when facing younger foes, yet repeatedly turns the tables with performances that stun fight fans and overturn the odds.

Tonight, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center, the ageless Randy Couture did it again, successfully defending his UFC Heavyweight title against a dangerous foe 16 years his junior, Gabriel Gonzaga, and he did it in spectacular fashion, stopping the Brazilian in the third round in yet another timeless performance for the 44-year old known as &#8216;The Natural&#8217;.

It was Couture&#8217;s second victory of 2007 after a year long retirement, the first being his five round shutout of Tim Sylvia in March to win the heavyweight title a third time.

The question is, will anyone ever doubt him again?

With a quick 1-2 to open things up, Gonzaga announced his arrival in the match. A split second later, a left by Couture staggered Gonzaga to let him know that he wasn&#8217;t ready to give up his belt just yet. After that quick burst of action, the two clinched against the fence, but after a short stalemate, both resumed throwing bombs until Couture grabbed hold of his challenger and slammed him to the mat. Gonzaga quickly rose and fired back at Couture, but he was also now nursing a bloody and possibly broken nose from an apparent clash of heads. With Gonzaga&#8217;s mouth wide open looking for breath, Couture kept him pinned against the fence and fired away in brief spurts that drew roars from the packed house for the final two minutes of the round until a last second surge by the Brazilian that almost saw him lock in a guillotine choke as the bell rang.

Following perhaps the worst five minutes of his UFC career, Gonzaga tried to turn things around early in the second with a high kick similar to the one that earned him his title shot when he knocked out Mirko Cro Cop in April. Couture caught the kick though and drove Gonzaga to the fence. Moments later, Gonzaga apparently complained to referee Herb Dean about something with his eyes, causing a stop in the action and a visit from the Octagonside physician. After getting the green light to continue, things went from bad to worse for &#8216;Napao&#8217; as he was docked a point for grabbing the fence and then continued to get drilled by the champion with power shots as they clinched at close range.

Already down three points, Gonzaga looked to press the action in the third and he did score with a kick to the head that got Couture&#8217;s attention. Apparently though, it only served to make the champion work harder, and after pushing Gonzaga to the fence, he took him down and proceeded to rain blows down on the challenger, who, overwhelmed, was unable to defend himself, prompting a stoppage from Dean at 1:37 of the third frame.

With the win, Couture, a two-time light heavyweight and three-time heavyweight champion who defended the title he won in March for the first time, improves to 16-8. Gonzaga falls to 8-2.

Saw it at Hooters last night. What a great show all around. Too bad they didn't televise the undercard, I wanted to see what happened with Babalu. He'll be suspended or possibly banned.

I didn't think Randy could do it. Gonzaga looked like he had no cardio. Randy's takedown slam on Gonzaga was fucking wicked. They need to bring Fedor in NOW!!!!!!

Randy v. Fedor in February.

Hey Nate did you see Huerta throwing those elbows at Crane? I was LMAO.

well, the last UFC DVD I saw was the unifnished business (UFC 49). Couture kicked Vitor Belfort. (and "Iceman" Liddle was as usual, punchy).

I like Couture, even if his way of fight is less spectacular than Liddle or others who fight as thailand kickboxers.

I don't know what Couture done since this UFC, but I'm with him.

I have a question : did he fight against the champion of Pride, to unificate the crowns If yes, did he win ?

Forum List

Back