U.S. plans new safety rules for portable generators after carbon monoxide deaths

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
WTF.....If you are too stupid to run a generator given all the warnings in the operating manuals then you get what you get.

The U.S. agency responsible for protecting consumers announced this week that it intends to recommend new mandatory rules to make portable generators safer, saying manufacturers have not voluntarily done enough to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning deaths caused by their products.

The announcement, part of a 104-page staff report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is a key step toward regulating gas-powered generators, which can emit as much carbon monoxide as 450 cars and which kill an average of 80 people in the U.S. each year.

The commission’s move comes more than two decades after U.S. regulators identified the deadly risks posed by portable generators and two months after an NBC News, ProPublica and Texas Tribune investigation found that federal efforts to make portable generators safer have been stymied by a statutory process that empowers manufacturers to regulate themselves, resulting in limited safety upgrades and continued deaths.

U.S. plans new safety rules for portable generators after carbon monoxide deaths

WTF.....If you are
an "industry-friendly" "industry representative" -- carry on waving your hands in the air like you just don't care!
Based on tens of thousands of simulations of common generator carbon monoxide accidents, CPSC staffers found that the industry’s preferred solution of adding shut-off sensors without reducing carbon monoxide emissions would prevent about 87 percent of generator deaths, while still leaving some consumers exposed to CO levels toxic enough to require hospitalization.

CPSC staffers also tested a more stringent approach of equipping the machines with both shut-off sensors and engines that emit far less carbon monoxide, and found that the combination would eliminate “nearly 100 percent” of generator deaths and the vast majority of hospitalizations.

I almost feel sorry for your ilk that have to rely on the .gov to dictate every aspect of their daily lives....Nah, after pondering on it a bit I don't feel sorry for you people at all as deserves has everything to do with it.
Fascinating. Please do go on about how requiring the industry to supply only machines with both shut-off sensors and engines that emit far less carbon monoxide impinges upon every aspect of your daily life, super-victim?

WTF.....If you are too stupid to run a generator given all the warnings in the operating manuals then you get what you get.

The U.S. agency responsible for protecting consumers announced this week that it intends to recommend new mandatory rules to make portable generators safer, saying manufacturers have not voluntarily done enough to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning deaths caused by their products.

The announcement, part of a 104-page staff report by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is a key step toward regulating gas-powered generators, which can emit as much carbon monoxide as 450 cars and which kill an average of 80 people in the U.S. each year.

The commission’s move comes more than two decades after U.S. regulators identified the deadly risks posed by portable generators and two months after an NBC News, ProPublica and Texas Tribune investigation found that federal efforts to make portable generators safer have been stymied by a statutory process that empowers manufacturers to regulate themselves, resulting in limited safety upgrades and continued deaths.

This will help push the prices up more for one. So happy that I went ahead and got a portable one last year.

Fascinating. Please do go on about how requiring the industry to supply only machines with both shut-off sensors and engines that emit far less carbon monoxide impinges upon every aspect of your daily life, super-victim?
Government shouldn't have the power to determine how you make your widgets.

Consumers have a brain TRY USING THEM

Government shouldn't have the power to determine how you make your widgets.

Consumers have a brain TRY USING THEM
So paint could have lead in it, make brakes and seat belts optional in cars, elevators held up with thick twine,.. whatever appears to work at the point of use or sale, buyer beware..

Wait, "Consumers" you say? Huh, we could do with a "movement" or something.. every day!

So paint could have lead in it, make brakes and seat belts optional in cars, elevators held up with thick twine,.. whatever appears to work at the point of use or sale, buyer beware..

Wait, "Consumers" you say? Huh, we could do with a "movement" or something.. every day!
There's always a moron like you in every group.

You shouldn't be allowed to own a car and a garage at the same time I guess. You're CLEARLY too fucking stupid to recognize the "possible" deadly danger.

Fucking idiot

an "industry-friendly" "industry representative" -- carry on waving your hands in the air like you just don't care!
28 people per year die from using charcoal bbq grills indoors... Do we need to reengineer charcoal to burn clean?

Maybe we can do it... But charcoal might cost $100 a bag...

There's always a moron like you in every group.

You shouldn't be allowed to own a car and a garage at the same time I guess. You're CLEARLY too fucking stupid to recognize the "possible" deadly danger.

Fucking idiot
Your demeanor could use some serious remodeling.

28 people per year die from using charcoal bbq grills indoors... Do we need to reengineer charcoal to burn clean?

Maybe we can do it... But charcoal might cost $100 a bag...

Indeed, according to your source, "Twenty-eight deaths and 300 injuries each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning occur from using charcoal indoors." What's your solution again? Oh, that's right, you have none. Y'all be real careful-like and just say no to drugs, ya heeya!

If I were tyrant of the world, the first thing I'd do is bring back public service messages and channels bigly -- to regularly remind people about best safety practices and every day hazards such as these along with much much more.

Indeed, according to your source, "Twenty-eight deaths and 300 injuries each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning occur from using charcoal indoors." What's your solution again? Oh, that's right, you have none. Y'all be real careful-like and just say no to drugs, ya heeya!

If I were tyrant of the world, the first thing I'd do is bring back public service messages and channels bigly -- to regularly remind people about best safety practices and every day hazards such as these along with much much more.
I read there are about 5000 dollars of safety in vehicles. How much is enough? You cannot legislate total safety for people.

Forum List

Back