U.S. Military Will Oversee Contractors

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Because it would be suicidal?

Quite possibly. Which is probably why the Iraqi government hasn't done so and it's probably why the Iraqi government is going to drop the ball each time the Coalition starts to make noises about pulling out.

But of course the US won't ever pull out, not as long as there's oil. So the Iraqi government is free to do it's broken wing act to ensure that US resources are expended in protecting it. Would the US be there if it weren't for Iraqi oil? Would the US be there to "extend freedom"? No bloody way. It's about oil.

If you want a job done cheaply, the American military is your source.

Even in Viet Nam, my very first war, I saw contractors making 4, 5 and more times my pay including combat considerations and only God, I guess, knows what their bosses were making. These good folks were doing only the same and in many cases far less than I was doing at the time for the ambitions of the United States Of America.

Prior to 1969, the election of Richard Milhouse Nixon and the subsequent lack of congressional oversight, this was unprecedented. It still bothers me even though I voted for Nixon in '68 and again in '72. What is it with Republicans? Have they no shame, honor or sense of fiscal responsibility?

My military bosses kept me on a shoestring budget and threatened me with all kinds of repercussion if I in any way exceeded their budgetary expectations. We NEED military oversight of the contractors. We'll not get so much a fair deal but at least a fairer deal under this administrative oversight. I hope the Generals are not somehow involved.

Forum List

Back