U.S. Loses Ally as Iraqi General Waits for Trial

Discussion in 'Iraq' started by High_Gravity, Jul 28, 2011.

1. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    U.S. Loses Ally as Iraqi General Waits for Trial

[​IMG]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/28/world/middleeast/28general.html?pagewanted=1&ref=middleeast

2. freedombecki

freedombecki Let's go swimmin'! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,935
    It always seems to happen that way. We help someone, then when power shifts, the allies we won under one administration gets murdered when the next administration, anxious to prevail its opposing power screws everyone the previous administration worked with. Then, as people forget, the administration heaps blame on the innocent administration.

Other countries are getting the impression that if they cooperate with the United States of America, they're going to die anyway.

It's Bizarro World politics, and we will not win when we have people over here more willing to sacrifice lives over there for political points over here.

We don't deserve to be the leaders of the free world any more.

We have dishonest elections punctuated by dozens of lawsuits after each election after one side repeatedly "finds" votes it "lost."

We're poison, and I am starting to hate it.

3. DiAnna

DiAnna Political Half-Breed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    What a mess. :(

Who could have predicted that by removing a tyrannical dictator whose bloody thumb was keeping rival groups from mass murdering each other would lead to religious and ethnic civil war even bloodier that what it was "rescued" from? Oh, wait... everybody could have predicted it, that's who.

I supported Afghanistan at the time... didn't dream it would turn into a bloody, decades-long quagmire... but the Iraqi invasion made me gnash my teeth and scream out loud. I could NOT believe my government would invade a sovereign nation that was of no danger to us based upon deceit, deception and political expediency.

That country will be at war with itself for decades to come, whether we are there or not... and I'm hoping "not".

Damn. Just damn. :(

4. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    Its a shame though this General really did try to help us out, maybe we should offer him asylum or at least help him leave Iraq? he will get butchered once we pull out completely, we gave all kinds of South Vietnamese Colonels and Generals asylum in the States.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. DiAnna

DiAnna Political Half-Breed

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I would hope that we would offer a straight shot to the USA for any and all Iraqis and Afghans who put themselves on the line for our troops... from interpreters to generals to informants who saved American lives.

It's the least we can do after basically ruining their country for them. :(

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I have no problem letting those folks in who put their lives on the line for us, although Iraq and Afghanistan were still a mess before we went in.