U.S.A. got warm reception at the Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by krisy, Aug 14, 2004.

1. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Did anyone watch the opening ceremonies for the Olympics last night? The U.S. probably got the loudest cheer of them all when their atheletes were anounced. Bob Costas and Katie Couric :puke3: were hosting the events. Of course,after the loud cheer for the U.S.,Costas proceeded to say that people are able to differ between the citizens and the government,making for the loud cheers. In other words,they aren't cheering for the U.S. as a whole,just those atheletes because they couldn't possibly be happy with the whole U.S. itself,including government. Iraq and Afghanistan were also warmly and loudly greeted. Afghanistan even had a woman I beleive. Who says Bush didn't do a good thing? Anyway,here is a link to some info on the Olympics:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/tvlistings/5016748/detail.html

2. UsaPride

UsaPride Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +198
    That's awesome!!!! :beer:
    Well, damn, I was wondering how they'd make this political and try and make Bush look bad. :blowup: We have a winner :finger:

3. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

It was a serious load of crap! I was on the phone with my brother and we were both watching it and thought it was so stupid the way he was talking. The ceremonies were great,but I hope no one thinks for a minute there won't be politics mentioned and thrown in here and there about different things.The media can't resist. I do wish our atheletes the best of luck though! Go U.S.A!!!!!!!!!

4. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Olympics is no time to boo anyone. Athletes train hard. The last thing they need is politics getting in their way. I mean that was the whole point of the Olympics in the first place. I was glad to see everyone cheered!

5. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

Agreed!!!

6. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    Oh please, the Olympics is a very political event. I remember when the Russians were threatening to pull out of SLC when they started losing some events they wanted to win. The olympics is a way for nations to play politics with sports.

7. Isaac Brock

Isaac Brock Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Politics at the olympics are played by the politicians. The only thing the athletes want to do is compete. They have no political motive. No athlete should have to be booed or not allowed to compete because of politics of their supporting country.

That's why the Olympic boycott of Moscow was wrong and why the Russians were wrong at SLC. As a former high level athlete myself, I know how much work goes into their training just to be best you can be and all you want to do is try. There has to be at least one international event that allows athletes to compete regardless of how polititians feel about what's happening in the world.

8. Sandy73

Sandy73 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I love Olympic time ! I have the swimming on now ! GO USA !! :thewave: :usa:

9. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    :beer:

10. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    My first time of more than about 15 minutes away from the TV all day, as NBC is taking a break for the news before Phelps' first final at 8 (central). I love the Olympics, and I know that what it feels like to do something that big can only be comprehended by athletes.

As for Costas' comment, I don't fully blame him. His brain has been so hardwired by the liberals that he fully believes that nobody in the world could possibly like President Bush except for stupid or corrupt Americans. He probably thinks a Kerry victory is a slam dunk. With that mindset, it's not entirely innappropriate to comment on how the fans distinguish gov't from citizen. What he needs is a change of perspective and understand that a large portion of the world loves us for what we do, in both political and athletic ventures.