Two cops and me!

JQPublic1

Gold Member
Aug 10, 2012
I was sitting in a restaurant minding my own business this morning when two White cops walked in. I hoped they wouldn't sit anywhere close to me and they didn't. Instead both sat near a window several tables away from my position. I wondered if they were "good" cops or "bad" cops. In either case I superimposed the faces of these two young officers in my mind over the faces of the heroic cops killed in Dallas.

When the waitress came to take my order, I asked her to put their tab on my bill. I can't explain why I did that, I just did.

When the two cops finished their meal and went to pay, the cashier pointed in my direction and told them I paid their bill. They nodded, smiled and I gestured back with a salute. I felt good and still do.

You know, I pulled into an Arby's today and there was a patrol car parked by the door. So I went in and the officer was in line ahead of me and I thanked him for his service to the community ... and his face lit up like a Christmas tree! We ended up eating lunch together and it was really nice to just sit and talk to a human being for a change. Of course, he had a black band across his badge ... and I told him the madness needed to stop. I wished him a good and safe day when he had to leave to go back on duty. These days I'm feeling like I need to treat police officers the same way I treat active duty and military veterans ... thank them for their service.

I was sitting in a restaurant minding my own business this morning when two White cops walked in. I hoped they wouldn't sit anywhere close to me and they didn't. Instead both sat near a window several tables away from my position. I wondered if they were "good" cops or "bad" cops. In either case I superimposed the faces of these two young officers in my mind over the faces of the heroic cops killed in Dallas.

When the waitress came to take my order, I asked her to put their tab on my bill. I can't explain why I did that, I just did.

When the two cops finished their meal and went to pay, the cashier pointed in my direction and told them I paid their bill. They nodded, smiled and I gestured back with a salute. I felt good and still do.
If they knew about all the shit you post here daily, they wouldnt have accepted your offer to pay for their meal.

If they knew about all the shit you post here daily, they wouldnt have accepted your offer to pay for their meal.
I don't know if they would or not. Either way the exchange made my day brighter and theirs too. Perhaps that gesture may have influenced them later on in the day to be kinder to someone else. BTW actions speak louder than words. If I wasn't sincere in my offer I never would have made it. I just felt there is enough hate in the world and I did something about it. When will you do something positive for race/ethnic relations?

I don't know if they would or not. Either way the exchange made my day brighter and theirs too. Perhaps that gesture may have influenced them later on in the day to be kinder to someone else. BTW actions speak louder than words. If I wasn't sincere in my offer I never would have made it. I just felt there is enough hate in the world and I did something about it. When will you do something positive for race/ethnic relations?

He won't. His comment in what started out as a positive thread, makes a statement about him that speaks volumes.

He doesn't have any idea what those officers would or would not have "accepted".

He obviously thinks that everyones mentality dwells in the same toilet with his.

Here's what happened to me a few months ago.

I was behind two cops in a Starbucks line. I got the attention of the barista, pointed at them, pointed at myself, and mouthed, "I'll pay." And then I tapped my lips with my index finger a couple of times and she picked up I didn't want them to know it was me buying.

When she told them another patron was taking care of their bill bill they asked who, but she just kinda shrugged. They looked around at nearby folks including me, but I just gave them a 'it wasn't me look.' They smiled at one and all and walked out.

My turn, so I ordered a venti sized coffee, same as the cops had. With tax they're $2.69 each, but when she quoted me the bill amount it was only $7.38, so I reminded her she forgot to add my amount to theirs. She looked at me and said a patron was taking care of it. I smiled and asked who, but she gave me the same shrug she'd given the cops. So I smiled again and said, "Well, I thank someone," and exited the place.

I wondered though if someone really did pick up my tab or the barista was just being nice to me for buying the cops' coffee? Either way, they and I had a nice experience that day.

Forum List

Back