Turmoil at the National Security Council, From the Top Down

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
WASHINGTON — These are chaotic and anxious days inside the National Security Council, the traditional center of management for a president’s dealings with an uncertain world.

Three weeks into the Trump administration, council staff members get up in the morning, read President Trump’s Twitter posts and struggle to make policy to fit them. Most are kept in the dark about what Mr. Trump tells foreign leaders in his phone calls. Some staff members have turned to encrypted communications to talk with their colleagues, after hearing that Mr. Trump’s top advisers are considering an “insider threat” program that could result in monitoring cellphones and emails for leaks.

The national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, has hunkered down since investigators began looking into what, exactly, he told the Russian ambassador to the United States about the lifting of sanctions imposed in the last days of the Obama administration, and whether he misled Vice President Mike Pence about those conversations. His survival in the job may hang in the balance.

Much More: Report: Turmoil In Trump’s ‘Dysfunctional’ National Security Council

This seems like an incompetent and paranoid administration. Sounds scary.

WASHINGTON — These are chaotic and anxious days inside the National Security Council, the traditional center of management for a president’s dealings with an uncertain world.

Three weeks into the Trump administration, council staff members get up in the morning, read President Trump’s Twitter posts and struggle to make policy to fit them. Most are kept in the dark about what Mr. Trump tells foreign leaders in his phone calls. Some staff members have turned to encrypted communications to talk with their colleagues, after hearing that Mr. Trump’s top advisers are considering an “insider threat” program that could result in monitoring cellphones and emails for leaks.

The national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, has hunkered down since investigators began looking into what, exactly, he told the Russian ambassador to the United States about the lifting of sanctions imposed in the last days of the Obama administration, and whether he misled Vice President Mike Pence about those conversations. His survival in the job may hang in the balance.

Much More: Report: Turmoil In Trump’s ‘Dysfunctional’ National Security Council

This seems like an incompetent and paranoid administration. Sounds scary.

Hey moron....this has already been posted.

You guys actually think you are worth something ?

“I want one day without a CNN alert that scares the hell out of me, all right?"
--Cecily Strong on SNL​

And it would be great if one of your threads actually was meaningful.

This isn't a problem for Trump.

The NY Times article is indeed alarming. Shows how superficial Trump's decisions are, based on simplistic briefs ...

And while Mr. Obama liked policy option papers that were three to six single-spaced pages, council staff members are now being told to keep papers to a single page, with lots of graphics and maps.
“The president likes maps,” one official said.

We're screwed!

Dear Lakhota and PK1
I have an idea. With all the research you are finding and posting about the problems, why not invest that much into solutions?

Why not create a blog posting the solutions and policies for these various countries and foreign relations issues and conflicts.

And provide free consulting advice to the Trump admin?
Maybe Soros can pay you and others to compile all the research and background behind these issues.

if it's presented in "user friendly" format, where the average
citizen reading at 8th grade to high school level can understand,
that will also help the PUBLIC get up to speed on all these areas.

I'd rather see your energy and attention go toward a solution.
something that can help ALL citizens, not just Trump, become as knowledgeable as possible on all the areas where the US has a vest interest in foreign policies. Thanks!

Here's from the article:

This account of life inside the council — offices made up of several hundred career civil servants who advise the president on counterterrorism, foreign policy, nuclear deterrence and other issues of war and peace — is based on conversations with more than two dozen current and former council staff members and others throughout the government. All spoke on the condition that they not be quoted by name for fear of reprisals.

In other words, ANONYMOUS SOURCES are trying to make the Trump administration look bad. CAREER CIVIL SERVANTS, holdovers from previous administrations that never did their jobs, are now complaining that they actually have to work.

Boo hoo.

CAREER CIVIL SERVANTS, holdovers from previous administrations that never did their jobs, are now complaining that they actually have to work.
Have to work now?
You mean the assistants have to work LESS because Trump (vs Obama) wants LESS to read before making decisions.
Instead of 3-page briefs, Trump wants 1 page with pictures! Wow, what a deep thinker he is ... NOT!

Our country is screwed in the next 4 years.

Dear Lakhota and PK1
I have an idea. With all the research you are finding and posting about the problems, why not invest that much into solutions?

Why not create a blog posting the solutions and policies for these various countries and foreign relations issues and conflicts.

And provide free consulting advice to the Trump admin?
Maybe Soros can pay you and others to compile all the research and background behind these issues.

if it's presented in "user friendly" format, where the average
citizen reading at 8th grade to high school level can understand,
that will also help the PUBLIC get up to speed on all these areas.

I'd rather see your energy and attention go toward a solution.
something that can help ALL citizens, not just Trump, become as knowledgeable as possible on all the areas where the US has a vest interest in foreign policies. Thanks!
I appreciate your compromising views, but i already have a full-time job.
Trump & his followers need to hire & listen to smart experts in their fields, not gloss over intelligence because they simply disagree with the conclusions.

Forum List

Back