Trust

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
Is trust a spiritual quality? I think it is. It seems related to faith and to doubt.

What allows trust to grow? Can trust be restored when it's shaken?

I trust in people that have earned my trust and people who feel I have earned their trust trust me.

I trust in gravity becuse it has not failed me yet.

I don't think it's spiritual in nature. Faith and doubt are also not exclusively connected to spirituality. Trusting someone is based on a foundation of familiarity, and knowledge. I've known one of my best friends for a little over three years, and I would trust that guy with my life, property, and family. That didn't happen overnight, though. It took at least a year for that level of trust and closeness to develop.

Maybe it's spiritual in the way that it's a developed bond between people. It really depends on how we're defining spirituality.

• Banned
I don't think it's spiritual in nature. Faith and doubt are also not exclusively connected to spirituality. Trusting someone is based on a foundation of familiarity, and knowledge. I've known one of my best friends for a little over three years, and I would trust that guy with my life, property, and family. That didn't happen overnight, though. It took at least a year for that level of trust and closeness to develop.

Maybe it's spiritual in the way that it's a developed bond between people. It really depends on how we're defining spirituality.

Faith and doubt are spiritual issues. I've had both in my life. Early on, I had many doubts. Faith has meant confidence to me. There certain spiritual things I have confidence in.

Trust is another story. Some people are trustworthy from the very beginning, and they never waver. Trust otherwise, like you say, takes time.

I think it's a choice.. like love is a choice.

1 Cor 13
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

All those things above are actions we can choose to do instead of carrying the burden, or carrying the grudge, or punishing others for how they hurt us. Or even punishing ourselves.

Easy to say and type yes - I fail at it big time. Recently alot, need some help, lol.

I think fear has alot to do with it too, deep, hidden fears, hidden hurts, self preservation.

This verse in the Bible is very interesting: It says fear has to do with punishment. I think if we analyse the times we are in fear; I mean really dig deep as to why we are fearing something or someone... perhaps it is to punish ourselves or others.

1 John 4:18
There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

• Banned

1 Cor 13
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

All those things above are actions we can choose to do instead of carrying the burden, or carrying the grudge, or punishing others for how they hurt us. Or even punishing ourselves.

Easy to say and type yes - I fail at it big time. Recently alot, need some help, lol.

I think fear has alot to do with it too, deep, hidden fears, hidden hurts, self preservation.

This verse in the Bible is very interesting: It says fear has to do with punishment. I think if we analyse the times we are in fear; I mean really dig deep as to why we are fearing something or someone... perhaps it is to punish ourselves or others.

There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

Some things are unforgiveable. All we can hope for is acceptance.

Which makes me think about when Jesus was talking about in the end times... when the love of many shall wax cold. (Matthew 24)

Matthew 24:10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

If we think of it opposite then of what the Bible says is love... If we choose not to love.... Then we may covet, or then we perhaps aren't being patient, then we may dishonor others, or we can get proud, or, we start keeping a record of wrongs....or perhaps we don't trust.

1 Cor 13
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

1 Cor 13

Hmm..name one thing you think would be unforgivable? I mean, that it's impossible to forgive? Or rather, not a choice.

Or....perhaps the only thing that is unforgivable is unacceptance?

I dont know...just learning as I go also..

Last edited:

1 Cor 13

Hmm..name one thing you think would be unforgivable? I mean, that it's impossible to forgive? Or rather, not a choice.

Forgiveness is a Christian concept. It makes no sense to me. Radical acceptance makes sense.

Acceptance is what makes sense. Accepting that the unacceptable happened.

Trust, in my opinion, is too freely given.

It takes years for someone to earn my trust and to date I can count those I trust on 2 fingers.

Forgiveness is a Christian concept. It makes no sense to me. Radical acceptance makes sense.

If forgiveness does not make sense to you, then how can you say that some things are "unforgivable"?

If you say that some things are unforgivable, you must have a sense of what forgiveness is?

If forgiveness does not make sense to you, then how can you say that some things are "unforgivable"?

If you say that some things are unforgivable, you must have a sense of what forgiveness is?

I'm saying that somethings that happen in life, rather than think it's appropriate to forgive, the best response is to accept whatever it is that happened.

Forum List

Back