Trump flip flops on waterboarding. Add another lie to the list

NYcarbineer

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2009
Finger Lakes, NY
WASHINGTON, Nov 23 — US president-elect Donald Trump said today that advice from a Marine general renowned for his frank talk had convinced him to think again about authorising the torture of detainees.

The Republican tycoon had previously made bloodcurdling pledges to restore waterboarding and “far, far worse” in US detention centres, scorning President Barack Obama’s ban on the practice.

But last weekend Trump sat down with James Mattis, a retired general respected across Washington and the US military for his no-nonsense approach, to discuss naming him defence secretary.

Yesterday, in an interview with the New York Times, Trump said he’d been surprised to discover that such an uncompromising commander was opposed to allowing US personnel to torture suspects.

“He said: ‘I’ve never found it to be useful’,” he said, adding that Mattis advised building a rapport with detainees: “Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers and I’ll do better.”

“I was very impressed by that answer,” Trump told the Times, in a marked U-turn from his campaign mantra: “Torture works, OK? Believe me, it works.”

- See more at: Tough general convinces Trump to backtrack on torture

Looks like you Trumpbots finally got John McCain elected. lol

He has flip-flopped on almost everything he promised the RWNJ traitors. I do think he will keep his promises to Pooting though. After all, Pooting paid good money for his spot in the Oval Office.

WASHINGTON, Nov 23 — US president-elect Donald Trump said today that advice from a Marine general renowned for his frank talk had convinced him to think again about authorising the torture of detainees.

The Republican tycoon had previously made bloodcurdling pledges to restore waterboarding and “far, far worse” in US detention centres, scorning President Barack Obama’s ban on the practice.

But last weekend Trump sat down with James Mattis, a retired general respected across Washington and the US military for his no-nonsense approach, to discuss naming him defence secretary.

Yesterday, in an interview with the New York Times, Trump said he’d been surprised to discover that such an uncompromising commander was opposed to allowing US personnel to torture suspects.

“He said: ‘I’ve never found it to be useful’,” he said, adding that Mattis advised building a rapport with detainees: “Give me a pack of cigarettes and a couple of beers and I’ll do better.”

“I was very impressed by that answer,” Trump told the Times, in a marked U-turn from his campaign mantra: “Torture works, OK? Believe me, it works.”

All your tears will add salt to your Thanksgiving turkey, Turkey. LOL!!

He has flip-flopped on almost everything he promised the RWNJ traitors. I do think he will keep his promises to Pooting though. After all, Pooting paid good money for his spot in the Oval Office.

But his Secretary of State frontrunner is Mitt Romney, the guy who calls Russia the greatest threat in the world!!!

That's it, sonny, try to put a brave face on it. There's a good boy.

That's it, sonny, try to put a brave face on it. There's a good boy.

I fully intend to be happy while you will remain the butt hurt and whinning Loser..

It's such a pretty world today. Look at the sunshine. The future looks so bright I may be forced to wear sun shades.

Waterboarding wasn't/isn't classified as torture. Navy SEALs are trained with it and it's against the UCMJ to torture the troops. Where does it say he says waterboarding will not be permitted in his administration?

Add another lie? How many have you told to date?

Forum List

Back