True Grit 2010

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
Remakes are usually worse than the originals but in this case I think the 2010 Jeff Bridges was better than the 1969 Duke Wayne. In his later years the Duke became a caricature of himself but Bridges played Rooster Cogburn to a T. The dialog was great and Matt Damon was a great Texas Ranger. Bridges played a similar grizzled old character in RIPD and it worked.

Remakes are usually worse than the originals but in this case I think the 2010 Jeff Bridges was better than the 1969 Duke Wayne. In his later years the Duke became a caricature of himself but Bridges played Rooster Cogburn to a T. The dialog was great and Matt Damon was a great Texas Ranger. Bridges played a similar grizzled old character in RIPD and it worked.
I agree. I haven't read the book but heard this new one was much truer to the original storyline.

Bridges is a great actor & the whole thing was very well done.
We need more good Westerns.
Originals would be great but remakes are OK if they are that quality

Bridges was fantastic. One of the best roles I've ever seen.

I just watched this for the second time.

This movie has a fantastic script. Very, very well written. Kudos to the Coen brothers. I can't think of a single movie of theirs I didn't enjoy immensely.

The acting is very well done.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but it was well worth watching it twice.

The denouement was way too drawn out, though.

The starlet at the time was an unknown quantity. She became vastly more well known, later in. Singer. Model. Actress. But even as a kid she clearly had acting chops.

Hailee Steinfeld was very good in that role, too.

Last edited:
I thought the girl in the original 1969 movie played her character better than the girl actor did in the 2010 remake version.
I thought so too as did the critics. Wayne certainly didn't. He called her the spoiled brat during filming because he claimed she was rude to him and other cast members. Her stage name was Kim Derby. It was changed from Derby Zerby for obvious reasons. She only appeared in a half dozen major movies but played in many episodes in TV series including Star Trek, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Marty Tyler Moore, and many others. She admitted that her career took a downturn in the 70's due addiction to amphetamines. Later she taught acting in LA and got occasion role in TV or movies until her death this year..

Never saw the 2010 version. I think it's available on Paramount+ If so I'll have a look.

Last edited:
I just watched this for the second time.

This movie has a fantastic script. Very, very well written. Kudos to the Coen brothers. I can't think of a single movie of theirs I didn't enjoy immensely.

The acting is very well done.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but it was well worth watching it twice.

The denouement was way too drawn out, though.

Love the Coen brothers, I'll watch anything they make. Have you seen Hail Caesar? It was on Netflix last time I checked, and if not, I highly recommend.

Also, sorry I'm late to this corner of USMB, I love movies and plan on exploring this further now that I know it exists!

I thought so too as did the critics. Wayne certainly didn't. He called her the spoiled brat during filming because he claimed she was rude to him and other cast members. Her stage name was Kim Derby. It was changed from Derby Zerby for obvious reasons. She only appeared in a half dozen major movies but played in many episodes in TV series including Star Trek, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Marty Tyler Moore, and many others. She admitted that her career took a downturn in the 70's due addiction to amphetamines. Later she taught acting in LA and got occasion role in TV or movies until her death this year..

Never saw the 2010 version. I think it's available on Paramount+ If so I'll have a look.
I think it is as good, if not better than the original. It is a bit less comical but just as exciting. Kim Darby as Mattie was better in the 1969 version. However, I think Mattie as an older woman reflecting on the adventure was very effective, particular the ending. I think it is definitely worth seeing.

...was a fucking disaster. What a dumpster fire.
WRONG.gif

Forum List

Back