Trekkies Help

DustyInfinity

Platinum Member
Jan 6, 2018
Midwest
How fast can a star trek ship travel at full impulse power? Warp is beyond light speed, so is full impulse all the way up to light speed? I just started playing Star Trek Timelines on my phone, and the ships have an evasion skill. This got me thinking. How hard would it be to hit another ship in space? Are they hitting targets going full light speed? Now imagine, photon torpedoes are projectiles right, even though they have the cool glowing effect? So one ship can hit another with a projectile at light speed?

How fast can a star trek ship travel at full impulse power? Warp is beyond light speed, so is full impulse all the way up to light speed? I just started playing Star Trek Timelines on my phone, and the ships have an evasion skill. This got me thinking. How hard would it be to hit another ship in space? Are they hitting targets going full light speed? Now imagine, photon torpedoes are projectiles right, even though they have the cool glowing effect? So one ship can hit another with a projectile at light speed?

From the old TNG Galaxy class tech manual they can get up to around 0.75c (3/4 speed of light) but they try not to do so due to relativistic considerations.

Also remember that Star Trek orbital mechanics are nowhere near reality.

Warp 1 = c, the Speed of Light. Full impulse is just a bit under c. No exact speed has ever been specified, but it is a large portion of c, maybe 75%

In Star Trek (TOS) they can of made things up as they went. I can remember Spock trying to be impressive with his math skills talking about some number multiplied by 10 raised to the first power. Sometimes the tech-no-babble in the early Star Trek was rather stupid.

On the DS9 shows, the cruisers could never hit dominion fighters. I thought the idea of dodging in space to a bit funny. Sulu always gave the Klingon's heck, and it would make sense if high end maneuvers could literally rip your ship apart. 75% the speed of light would be an impressive torpedo shot.

Forum List

Back