Toyo Kogyo Series 31 Type 99 Jap. Rifle

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I picked up this Toyo Kogyo Series 31 7.7mm Type 99 Jap. rifle this morning.

tk 001 (2).JPG

tk 003 (2).JPG

Matching and in very nice shape.....Chromed bore and bolt face. As best as I can tell it was made mid-1941.

I came with the mono-pod, AA sights, and cleaning rod. Ground Mum. Missing the dust cover.

The "TK" rifles were made in Hiroshima. The factory survived the A-Bomb but 400 of their workers were killed.

Toyo Kogyo is now known as Mazda and is still located in Hiroshima.

Ground Mum....It means nothing to me....The series/manufacturer means more. It's just nice to have.

I've been buying them for years and have only found one with "the works".....Dust cover, aa sights, cleaning rod, sling, and mum......I still have it too. ;)

Sweet. Out of all the Arisakas I've owned in the past, I liked the Type 38 the best. That 6.5x50mm is accurate, even more so with handloads. 140 gr. Hornady Match behind 30.2 gr of IMR 3031 for 2402 fps was more accurate than the 2500 fps they loaded the military ammo at.

Wish I'd kept the last one, but traded it off. I've never loaded the 7.7 Jap, but I do have the dies and cases for when I find another one. I did find a Type 99 with the bayonet and signed capture papers at a garage sale 7 years ago for $100, but sold it. Oh well. There are more out there if you look hard enough.

Sweet. Out of all the Arisakas I've owned in the past, I liked the Type 38 the best. That 6.5x50mm is accurate, even more so with handloads. 140 gr. Hornady Match behind 30.2 gr of IMR 3031 for 2402 fps was more accurate than the 2500 fps they loaded the military ammo at.

Wish I'd kept the last one, but traded it off. I've never loaded the 7.7 Jap, but I do have the dies and cases for when I find another one. I did find a Type 99 with the bayonet and signed capture papers at a garage sale 7 years ago for $100, but sold it. Oh well. There are more out there if you look hard enough.
7.7 is easily formed of .30-06 brass.....I bought a case of 7.7 SP that Interarms had reloaded in Germany.....All made from LC M2 brass.....Great stuff, very accurate. Back then it worked out to $5.00 a box. ;)

Forum List

Back