Top general acknowledges Iraq mistakes

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 3 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military's top general acknowledged Friday that he made mistakes in his early Iraq war strategy but said he still has no doubt that invading the country was the right decision.

ADVERTISEMENT

Marine Gen. Peter Pace, retiring chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and one of the war's military architects, said he overestimated the ability of the Iraqi army to hold together after the invasion, and as a result underestimated the number of U.S. troops that would eventually be needed to fight the war.

Offering a blunt assessment of the decisions and recommendations he made back in early 2003, an introspective Pace told Pentagon reporters that with the aid of 20-20 hindsight, it's clear he made "errors in assumption."

"One of the mistakes I made in my assumptions going in was that the Iraqi people and the Iraqi army would welcome liberation, that the Iraqi army, given the opportunity, would stand together for the Iraqi people and be available to them to help serve the new nation," said Pace, who will leave the chairman's job on Oct. 1. "If I knew that the Iraqi army was not going to be available, then I probably would have made a different recommendation about the total size force going in."

In retrospect, he said, "you say you wish you knew, but you didn't know on the way in."

A Vietnam veteran who became the first Marine to chair the Joint Chiefs, Pace, 61, became another political casualty of the Iraq war, more than four years into the conflict.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates had planned to reappoint Pace for a second two-year term but in early June he changed his mind. Gates said he decided to replace Pace because the escalating discord — particularly in Congress — over the war would have triggered a bitter confirmation process, which would hurt the country.

On Friday, Pace offered his most extensive public self-evaluation of his Joint Chiefs tenure — which has included two years as chairman and four years as vice chairman.

Believing that the Iraqi army could be rebuilt, retrained and equipped by the end of 2006, Pace said that he did not — and never would think to — recommend in early 2006 that the size of the U.S. Army and Marine Corps be expanded.

But after the bombing of the revered Shiite mosque in Samarra in Feb. 2006, which unleashed widespread sectarian slaughter, it became clear that the U.S. would not be able to reduce force levels then and instead would have to beef up its own military to maintain troop rotations.

So, by the end of the year, Pace and other military were endorsing an increase in the size of both the Army and the Marine Corps.

Still, Pace said that after going back and reviewing his decisions, "I am comfortable in my own mind, with the things that I knew at the time, the recommendations that I made."

Further, he said, he has not wavered in his belief that the U.S. made the right call by invading Iraq.

Asked whether he still stands by comments he made several years ago when he said he had no doubts about the move, Pace did not hesitate.

"I absolutely do. Absolutely do. Absolutely do," he said.

"I'm proud of the fact that we stood and fought in Afghanistan and we are standing and fighting in Iraq. And did we make mistakes? Yes. But are we on the right path? Yes," he said, as Gates looked on. "Is it providing additional freedom for Iraqis and Afghanis, providing additional freedom for us at home? You bet. The more free people around the world, the stronger our democracy is and the safer our democracy is."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070915/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/pace_iraq_mistakes

And?

You will not find ANY military operation or grand strategy that didn't have mistakes or problems using hindsight.

Agreed--I just liked his attitude and honest assessment. He still thinks we need to hang in there and so do I. Besides--democrats are always begging to hear an admission of fault.

The only mistake we made was leaving them with running water and electricity. These animals can actually sit at home every night with a bowl of pilaf and watch Al Jizera after a hot bath. I prefer my enemies to be wiping their ass*s with leaves. We shouild have planned for large refugee camps and then given all rebuilding contracts to Americans first. Like the Marshall Plan.

Conservatives are not allowed to make mistakes.;)

Gunny, if this bunch was in anyway truly conservative, I might have some sympathy with that.

Let's see what's posted down in the squad bay.

attachment.php

Attachments

• $america_is_not_at_war.jpg
    $america_is_not_at_war.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 140
Gunny, if this bunch was in anyway truly conservative, I might have some sympathy with that.

Let's see what's posted down in the squad bay.

attachment.php

Some in this bunch are NOT hanging out at the mall. You gonna lump all the righties in one group as all talkers but no action?

Some in this bunch are NOT hanging out at the mall. You gonna lump all the righties in one group as all talkers but no action?

You seem to have created the divide and sorted the guilty.

What specifically is your contribution at the moment? I do Saturday and Sunday visits to VA hospitals. Are you of military age? Have you served?

I just like asking hard questions?

I AM

that this pic is in a Marine squad bay, obviously in Irag or Afghanistan, and the young man you see in the door way is in uniform.

I just thought you might have needed a bit of schooling.

I AM

The first paragraph of the article is nothing but a goddammed lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Marine Gen. Peter Pace, retiring chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and one of the war's military architects, said he overestimated the ability of the Iraqi army to hold together after the invasion, and as a result underestimated the number of U.S. troops that would eventually be needed to fight the war."

The Iraqi army was completely disbanded by the US Ambassador to Iraq Paul Bremer and Gen. Pace knows that. Just whose leg is he trying to piss on as evidence of his love and loyalty? The underestimation of troops required to successfully complete an American invasion and subsequent occupation was made by one each Secretary Of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Has General Pace already earned his pension and is now ready to take whatever fall the administration asks of him? For sure, he won't be going to prison or in any way subjugated to any civilian court system in the United States Of America. Maybe he is also assured that Lockheed Martin or one of another 1,000 or so multi-billion $ type defense contractors has already guaranteed his future with offers? It is obvious he is willing to lie for others to achieve his own goals.

The first paragraph of the article is nothing but a goddammed lie!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Marine Gen. Peter Pace, retiring chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and one of the war's military architects, said he overestimated the ability of the Iraqi army to hold together after the invasion, and as a result underestimated the number of U.S. troops that would eventually be needed to fight the war."

The Iraqi army was completely disbanded by the US Ambassador to Iraq Paul Bremer and Gen. Pace knows that. Just whose leg is he trying to piss on as evidence of his love and loyalty? The underestimation of troops required to successfully complete an American invasion and subsequent occupation was made by one each Secretary Of Defense Donald Rumsfeld.

Has General Pace already earned his pension and is now ready to take whatever fall the administration asks of him? For sure, he won't be going to prison or in any way subjugated to any civilian court system in the United States Of America. Maybe he is also assured that Lockheed Martin or one of another 1,000 or so multi-billion $ type defense contractors has already guaranteed his future with offers? It is obvious he is willing to lie for others to achieve his own goals.

Your an idiot. But we already knew that.

that this pic is in a Marine squad bay, obviously in Irag or Afghanistan, and the young man you see in the door way is in uniform.

I just thought you might have needed a bit of schooling.

I AM

Your inferance is just as wrong as the previous liberals here have made. As to me? I spent 16 years in the United States Marine Corps, was put on disabled list in 1995 and officially medically retired in 1999. Does that entitle me to an opinion? Ohh and are you going to ask our Liberal NON serving members for their service time before they are allowed an opinion?

Do you have anything to back that claim up? Is you "we"?

You're such a sucker for chain yanking, rsg.

Have you ever had a good, honest day in your life?

All you have is your attempts to silence anyone that disagrees with you. Your opinion is, to me irrelevent. I do though have a DD 214.... You post yours and maybe I will post mine.

I have more than one DD214. I will post none of them

All you have is your attempts to silence anyone that disagrees with you. Your opinion is, to me irrelevent. I do though have a DD 214.... You post yours and maybe I will post mine.

I have no ability and have never demonstrated any desire to silence you, rgs. Why do you insist on your lies and attempted innuendo?

Your inferance is just as wrong as the previous liberals here have made. As to me? I spent 16 years in the United States Marine Corps, was put on disabled list in 1995 and officially medically retired in 1999. Does that entitle me to an opinion? Ohh and are you going to ask our Liberal NON serving members for their service time before they are allowed an opinion?

Officially medically retired after 16 Years? Hm. I thought that was called a medical discharge with disability. (quite different than retirement) I spent twelve years in, and was discharged in that manner. The difference is that I requested "voluntary" separation.

I am beginning to wonder about you.

Officially medically retired after 16 Years? Hm. I thought that was called a medical discharge with disability. (quite different than retirement) I spent twelve years in, and was discharged in that manner. The difference is that I requested "voluntary" separation.

I am beginning to wonder about you.

Depends on the disability rating, less than 30 percent ( when I was in) you were discharged with a lump sum payment, more than 30 percent and you were placed on the Temperary Disabled listed. You remained on the list for 5 years, with 3 medical reviews during that time. If at the end you were still rated as disabled you are permently retired.

I was placed on the list on 1 June 1995. ( you receive retired pay while on the list and are temperarily retired) my final medical exam was in 1999 and I received my retired letter that year, though technically the 5 years wasn't up till May 2000.

The percentage may have changed since then on who gets lump sum and who gets on the list. Think I read it moved to 40 percent.

It appears to me that rgs is a medically separated sap with nothing to show for courage or patriotism.

But, that's just my opinion after many conversations with rgs. What is your opinion?

Depends on the disability rating, less than 30 percent ( when I was in) you were discharged with a lump sum payment, more than 30 percent and you were placed on the Temperary Disabled listed. You remained on the list for 5 years, with 3 medical reviews during that time. If at the end you were still rated as disabled you are permently retired.

I was placed on the list on 1 June 1995. ( you receive retired pay while on the list and are temperarily retired) my final medical exam was in 1999 and I received my retired letter that year, though technically the 5 years wasn't up till May 2000.

The percentage may have changed since then on who gets lump sum and who gets on the list. Think I read it moved to 40 percent.
I am in that position and left the service in 58 I have Never beenretired, but declared permanently disabled. Haven't had a VA examination in thirty years.

It appears to me that rgs is a medically separated sap with nothing to show for courage or patriotism.

But, that's just my opinion after many conversations with rgs. What is your opinion?
Frankly, I think he is full of Crap. Like I said, I have been in that self-same position for nearly forty years.

Forum List

Back