TOEFL for Intl undergrads in US?

akiboy

Mar 28, 2006
Mumbai
Hey everyone! Sorry to bother you guys but I wanted to know whether TOEFL(Test of English as a foreign Language) is required for International students who are proficient in English and have studied in an English medium school since Grade 1.

I applied to the following colleges:-
Harvard , Princeton , Stanford , Williams , UMass AMherst , Northeastern , Duke , Oberlin , Dartmouth. And yeah also McGill in Toronto , Canada.

I have won prizes for excellence in English in high school. So is TOEFL really necessary for me?

Thanks!

Hey everyone! Sorry to bother you guys but I wanted to know whether TOEFL(Test of English as a foreign Language) is required for International students who are proficient in English and have studied in an English medium school since Grade 1.

Harvard , Princeton , Stanford , Williams , UMass AMherst , Northeastern , Duke , Oberlin , Dartmouth. And yeah also McGill in Toronto , Canada.

I have won prizes for excellence in English in high school. So is TOEFL really necessary for me?

Thanks!

My guess is that you would have to “test out of it” just so it is on record or prove, through past academic work, that you are proficient in English. Talk with the authorities. I have an associate’s degree in computer networking. Years after I received the degree, I wanted to get an associates degree in medical coding. The coding program required that I take a course in the use of common computer applications. My instructor wanted to know that I was still proficient in the use of standard computer programs, so I talked with her about my past academic history. That was enough for me to get credit for the “required” computer class without having to even take a test in the subject.

It is a form response. As adviced you need to talk individually with each school and provide evidence to show no need to test. But depending on policy at each school they may still require the test or an equivalant just for their paper work.

I did mention my academic achievments in English while submitting my application(i.e The Common Application). Also , I personally believe my application essay is well crafted and it clearly shows my fluency in Englsih.

But , I think i will get in touch with the colleges by mail and inform them.

Thanks a lot!

Thanks!

I'd stay on the safe side and take the TOEFL. I went to boarding school up in New England for high school, and we had a bunch of international students. Although they were all fluent in English and living in the United States they still took the TOEFL. If I were you i'd definitely sign up for the next possible testing date.

Thanks! I think I will write it (But its 4 hours long and I have my finals next month!).
Lets see. But lots of folks say its pretty easy.
Thanks again guys!

Forum List

Back