Today 1/15 on the House floor

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
They are reading the Constitution of the United States in its entirety. Only second time in history if I heard correctly. :D

Did you know with a 2/3 vote a member of house can be expelled? :eusa_shifty:

Article 1, section 7 explains how to pass a bill. Maybe now that they have read the instructions they can actually do it a little more often.

Looks like according to Amendment 14, section 4 the debt ceiling has to be raised.

Looks like according to Amendment 14, section 4 the debt ceiling has to be raised.

Yeah, and there is also something about only gold and silver as being currency in there too. So we only follow which portions we like. :eusa_shifty:

that only applies to the states- they can't grant titles of nobility, either :lol:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility

article 1, section 10

fail

Article I, Section 8, Clause 5: The Congress shall have Power…To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

Article I, Section 10, Clause 1: No State shall…coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debt.

:eusa_shifty:

They may as well throw the thing out. It's been molested to the point of being essentially void.

Yeah, and there is also something about only gold and silver as being currency in there too. So we only follow which portions we like. :eusa_shifty:

Maybe you listen to the Constitution while they are reading it aloud. The bit about gold and silver is a restriction on the States. The federal government is given the power to "coin money" and to "regulate the value thereof". There is no gold and silver requirement.

Last edited:
The Constitution says the bills of the United States have to be paid. It does not mention borrowing the money to pay those bills.

The economy of the United States is not that much difference than your own. If you find yourself in a position where you cannot pay the rent every month do you borrow the money every month to pay the rent? No. You reduce your discretionary spending. Instead of getting season tickets to the theater you take that money and use it to pay the rent. Maybe you go out to dinner less often and let the date night babysitter go. Maybe you stop giving to charity. You cut down on the spending to make the bills. Which is exactly what the government should do.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 5: The Congress shall have Power…To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures.

Article I, Section 10, Clause 1: No State shall…coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debt.

:eusa_shifty:

They may as well throw the thing out. It's been molested to the point of being essentially void.

you should find a graphic novel that explains what a state is in the context of the constitution, ace.

The congress doesn't coin the money, and the states don't pay federal debts, or their burden to the feds in gold or silver.

But you go ahead and spin that bad boy however you like, del. It's a lost cause, the cosntitution.

January 15, 1863:

1st US newspaper printed on wood-pulp paper; Boston Morning Journal.

January 15, 1965:

The Who releases 1st album; "I Can't Explain".

January 15, 1973:

4 Watergate burglars plead guilty in federal court.

January 15, 1974:

Expert panel reports 18½-m gap in Watergate tape, 5 separate erasures.

Last edited:
I don't needa tissue. Just like I didn't need our attempt at correcting my understanding of the constitution, Ace. Find a rock, crawl back underneath. kthanxbia.

The Constitution says the bills of the United States have to be paid. It does not mention borrowing the money to pay those bills.

The economy of the United States is not that much difference than your own. If you find yourself in a position where you cannot pay the rent every month do you borrow the money every month to pay the rent? No. You reduce your discretionary spending. Instead of getting season tickets to the theater you take that money and use it to pay the rent. Maybe you go out to dinner less often and let the date night babysitter go. Maybe you stop giving to charity. You cut down on the spending to make the bills. Which is exactly what the government should do.

The founding fathers borrowed money to pay for the Revolutionary War

They set the example

Forum List

Back