Time tries to rewrite history in defense of Obama

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
I really love people that set out to prove there is no media bias, they are so much fun to toy with. Here is what time is saying about Obama's ad where he gets the guy that dithered away a chance to kill bin Laden to talk about how hard it was to make the decision. They even go so far as to quote what Clinton said about Obama.

It’s true that by explicitly bringing Romney into the ad, the Obama campaign veers from the subtle to the unnecessarily heavy-handed. Yes, Romney said the things Obama says he said in the ad, like “It’s not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.”
Here, however, is the issue. Since at least 1968, Democrats have traditionally been more circumspect than their Republican foes in presidential politics. The lesson of the Clinton years and of Obama’s win of both the nomination and the general election in 2008 is that Democrats need to be as tough as JFK was (tough was a favorite Kennedy term). Is the bin Laden ad fair to Romney? No, not really. But politics is not for the faint of heart.
I take what President Clinton says in the ad seriously: “Look, he knew what would happen,” Clinton says of Obama. “Suppose the Navy SEALs had gone in there and it hadn’t been bin Laden? Suppose they had been captured or killed? The downside would have been horrible. But he reasoned, ‘I cannot in good conscience do nothing.’ He took the harder, more honorable path and the one that produced, in my opinion, the more honorable and best result.”

Jon Meacham: Why Barack Obama Owns Osama bin Laden | TIME Ideas | TIME.com

The problem, he left out two words that change the entire meaning of the sentence.

“Suppose the Navy SEALs had gone in there and it hadn’t been bin Laden? Suppose they had been captured or killed? The downside would have been horrible for him. But he reasoned, ‘I cannot in good conscience do nothing.’ He took the harder, more honorable path and the one that produced, in my opinion, the more honorable and best result.”

They then embed the very video they are misquoting right on the same page in the belief that no one will check their source and notice their mistake.

If the Party could thrust its hand into the past and say this or that even, it never happened-that, surely, was more terrifying than mere torture and death.
~George Orwell, 1984

What's to defend? I think you meant APPLAUD. If you think Clinton dithered, why all the "wag the dog" complaints back then? It's like the Reps wanted OBL to get away! BASTARDS!!!

Forum List

Back