Time to cut the grass

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
First cut of the season is always the same. I've got some sections that are almost a foot high and then other sections are like three inches high.

Leftover leaves scattered in there. Edging needs done. I'm thinking about maybe just push mowing the higher spots and letting the short stuff catch up. I don't feel like messing around with the bagger.

Currently...

Wind increasing. A mix of clouds and sun. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 54F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.

First cut of the season is always the same. I've got some sections that are almost a foot high and then other sections are like three inches high.

Leftover leaves scattered in there. Edging needs done. I'm thinking about maybe just push mowing the higher spots and letting the short stuff catch up. I don't feel like messing around with the bagger.

Currently...

Wind increasing. A mix of clouds and sun. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 54F. Winds W at 20 to 30 mph.
I cut one small section in the only part of my backyard that is not zoysia. That stuff will stay mostly blond until closer to the end of the month. The fenced off side trash grass and Bermuda. The Bermuda was healthy but not that tall. It always amazes me, the trash grass and weed BS gets tall green and healthy first, every year, but mostly disappears after a few cuttings. Got lucky. Left mower with a full tank of gas over the winter after using it to suck up and bag leaves, yet it only took 2 pulls to crank like a champ.

Whatever happened to kids cutting lawns during the summer?

I have yet to have a kid come up to my door and offer to cut my lawn.

I contemplated getting a service last year but they wanted some ridiculous amount per month for their service.

Not that I can't afford it...but FFS...you're not resodding, you're just cutting the shit.

I just cut it myself.

Currently...

The last of the snow on the yard just melted a couple days ago. I've got about a month before I'll have to mow. Still have snow mold. I'll put the first fertilizer down next week.

Whatever happened to kids cutting lawns during the summer?

I have yet to have a kid come up to my door and offer to cut my lawn.

I contemplated getting a service last year but they wanted some ridiculous amount per month for their service.

Not that I can't afford it...but FFS...you're not resodding, you're just cutting the shit.

I just cut it myself.

Mexicans thats what happened.
I used to mow grass over 40 years ago when I was a kid,made $25 bucks a yard to mow edge and weedeat.
You can still get your yard mowed for $25 bucks,there are literally hundreds of mexican yard crews in Houston.

Mexicans thats what happened.
I used to mow grass over 40 years ago when I was a kid,made $25 bucks a yard to mow edge and weedeat.
You can still get your yard mowed for $25 bucks,there are literally hundreds of mexican yard crews in Houston.
I won't hire wets, and won't return to a business that does.

Then you'll be mowing your own grass.
Liberals have taught today's kids that mowing grass is beneath them.
Oh yeah...accepted that fate a long time ago.

By the time I am too old I will probably be living in a pod eating bug cakes like everyone else.

Don't need a lawn in a pod.

THE FUTURE IS OURS!

Oh yeah...accepted that fate a long time ago.

By the time I am too old I will probably be living in a pod eating bug cakes like everyone else.

Don't need a lawn in a pod.

THE FUTURE IS OURS!

I havent cut my own grass in around 20 years.
First was because I didnt want to waste my weekends and now I cant because my hip is screwed.
If I could find a neighbor kid to do it I would but thats not going to happen where I live.
All the kids are spoiled brats who's parents buy them BMW,s,Mustangs and the like.

I havent cut my own grass in around 20 years.
First was because I didnt want to waste my weekends and now I cant because my hip is screwed.
If I could find a neighbor kid to do it I would but thats not going to happen where I live.
All the kids are spoiled brats who's parents buy them BMW,s,Mustangs and the like.
Hey man...you do what ya gotta do.

No shame.

You got a bum hip, it is what it is.

Back when I had a lawn to tend, I would set the mower to its highest setting in the Spring for a few weeks until all the grass was getting trimmed. Then I would drop it to my desired level.

In my neck of the woods, I got a couple moles undermining my lawn when the soil was soft in the Spring, driving me crazy.

Back when I had a lawn to tend, I would set the mower to its highest setting in the Spring for a few weeks until all the grass was getting trimmed. Then I would drop it to my desired level.

In my neck of the woods, I got a couple moles undermining my lawn when the soil was soft in the Spring, driving me crazy.

Dont know where you live or what type of grass you have but here in the south it's Saint Augustine grass.
It needs to be cut at a certain level or weeds will grow in its place.
I couldnt tell you how many beaners I've fired because they always cut the grass to short.

I had moles a few years back. I can tell you those battery powered stakes are useless. They attract rather than prevent. I have found a granular deterrent that you sprinkle around the holes. It is called MoleMax and it works great--takes a few applications but they left three years ago and I haven't seen them since.

The last of the snow on the yard just melted a couple days ago. I've got about a month before I'll have to mow. Still have snow mold. I'll put the first fertilizer down next week.
Same here. Yard is mushy and wet still.
Still some ice in the shaded areas. In reality, while having warmer weather, we can still get significant snow in April, it just melts quickly.
I think my first mow last year was around the end of May.

Forum List

Back