Time for a new stance on Tibet

Vikrant

Gold Member
Apr 20, 2013
The U.S.
The recent Chinese incursion into India, the long stand-off, the fear and fury surrounding the brazen episode and the eventual resolution once again raises an old question : What about Tibet?

India’s security is directly linked to Tibet, as Lobsang Sangay, the prime minister of Tibet’s government-in-exile, told a Washington audience last week and he is right. “When China says that Tibet is one of the core issues, all the more (reason) that India should say, Tibet is a core issue for India as well,” said the eloquent bearer of Tibetans’ political hopes. He gently urged India to do “more” while profusely thanking it for its hospitality over the years.

Sangay must resurrect from the ashes of India’s Tibet policy whatever signs of life he can because he can’t stop fighting. As he once said the Tibetans are “genetically disposed to dealing with China” having done it for 2,000 years. But for Indians, China is relatively new, especially the new China, one that is flexing its considerable muscle all around, scaring its near and far neighbors into various combinations of confabulations.

“Tibetans have every reason to believe that China wants Tibet but not the Tibetan people,” says Sangay. Otherwise, why wouldn’t China apply the Hong Kong and Macao model of “one country, two systems” and give Tibetans the power to make decisions about being Tibetans, retain their culture and language. But what they get are Chinese crackdowns, most recently in 2008. China even tried to affect Sangay’s election by leaning on Nepal to prevent ballots of Tibetan exiles to be delivered to India for counting.

Contrast that with India holding regular local and state elections in Arunachal, Mizoram, Manipur and Jammu & Kashmir despite the much-hated Armed Forces Special Powers Act. India’s moral case over contested areas is stronger today because the people have a voice.

Time for a new stance on Tibet - Central Tibetan Administration

^ What Chinese have done in Tibet is tragic. Here is a good interview with Richard Gere on this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNW0AndXt5o]Richard Gere Talking About Tibet on Indian show - YouTube[/ame]

No need for a ham actor. I've spoken at length with many Tibetans - there, and many in the US seeking asylum. It's worse than the western media is 'allowed' to know.

Some things I've been told in confidence would turn your hair white.

Last edited:
No need for a ham actor. I've spoken at length with many Tibetans - there, and many in the US seeking asylum. It's worse than the western media is 'allowed' to know.

In that case you know the deal. I recall when the Olympic was being held in China, everyone was talking about how great the bird's nest stadium was but no one was talking about the plight of Tibetans.

I think Tibetans have very few friends left due to China's strong arming tactics. India has always supported Tibet in whichever way it can. The US was quite supportive during W's era but not so much now. France has turned its back on Tibetans. My respect for UK, particularly David Cameron has gone up for their support of Tibet even under intense pressure from China. Other than that, rest of the world does not seem to care what is happening in Tibet.

The more money China has to throw around the weaker many peoples' principles become, I'm sad to say. On top of that, people have the attention span of a goldfish these days. The PRC has always known that the longer they simply stay there the more of a fait accompli it becomes. Then, just bring in more and more Han Chinese, restrict the teaching of the language and transmission of the culture and traditional religious practices, and in a few generations...

The genocide looks to be complete. There are only six-million Tibetans left now. I just hope one day China will be defeated and Tibetans will return to Tibet to reclaim their land.

I was in a market in Lhasa once, looking at some traditional Tibetan robes and the vendor brought one out (this is right out in the street) and put it on me and showed me how it was traditionally worn, etc. Well, foreigners were still very much a rarity in those days and soon a small crowd of vendors, old women, and the generally curious had gathered to check out the curiosity - all in a very friendly, welcoming way. Less than a minute into this the PSB and a bunch of soldiers appear out of thin air and it's rifle butts to the head and ribs all around (excluding me - I got a lot of mileage out of the 'not sure what to do with a foreigner' thing). Being young and stupid, I tried to shout them back and then made a pointed display of staying right there and slowly buying the robe after the crowd had been dispersed - all under watchful eyes and loaded rifles. It was a surreal experience. Later, I nearly got myself into much bigger trouble, but that's a tale for another day.

I was in a market in Lhasa once, looking at some traditional Tibetan robes and the vendor brought one out (this is right out in the street) and put it on me and showed me how it was traditionally worn, etc. Well, foreigners were still very much a rarity in those days and soon a small crowd of vendors, old women, and the generally curious had gathered to check out the curiosity - all in a very friendly, welcoming way. Less than a minute into this the PSB and a bunch of soldiers appear out of thin air and it's rifle butts to the head and ribs all around (excluding me - I got a lot of mileage out of the 'not sure what to do with a foreigner' thing). Being young and stupid, I tried to shout them back and then made a pointed display of staying right there and slowly buying the robe after the crowd had been dispersed - all under watchful eyes and loaded rifles. It was a surreal experience. Later, I nearly got myself into much bigger trouble, but that's a tale for another day.

Please do share when you get a chance and if you feel comfortable. I am curious what brought you to fascinating Tibet, the roof of the world.

Forum List

Back