Three Occupy Oakland protesters charged with hate crimes

A common-sense assessment of this report must begin with the question of what identifies these three individuals as members of the Movement. Their mere presence at a rally or a protest?

During the Vietnam era the general public was led by the media to believe the protest movement consisted of pot-smoking long-haired "hippies" who gathered at airports to curse at and spit on homecoming veterans. But the fact is that spitting rumor was utterly false, that never happened, and the Jane Fonda cult of cursing long-hairs represented less than one percent of the overall Vietnam protest movement, which I took an active part in.

The vast majority of Vietnam protesters were very ordinary, respectable, law-abiding citizens, many of whom were Vietnam vets. Our activities consisted mainly of writing letters, attending meetings, rallies and peaceful demonstrations. The most aggressive things we did were picketing and occupying the offices of Congressmen and Senators.

Because we were relatively peaceful and ordinary the media paid no attention to us. Instead they focused on the long-hair hell-raisers at airports because it made for more interesting reportage.

I've noticed that much less media attention is paid to Ray Lewis, a retired Philadelphia police captain who showed up at an Occupy protest in uniform and allowed himself to be arrested in solidarity with the movement.

Ret. police captain: To be arrested in solidarity ‘was the proudest moment of my life’ | The Raw Story

Last edited:
Last edited:
A common-sense assessment of this report must begin with the question of what identifies these three individuals as members of the Movement. Their mere presence at a rally or a protest?

During the Vietnam era the general public was led by the media to believe the protest movement consisted of pot-smoking long-haired "hippies" who gathered at airports to curse at and spit on homecoming veterans. But the fact is that spitting rumor was utterly false, that never happened, and the Jane Fonda cult of cursing long-hairs represented less than one percent of the overall Vietnam protest movement, which I took an active part in.

The vast majority of Vietnam protesters were very ordinary, respectable, law-abiding citizens, many of whom were Vietnam vets. Our activities consisted mainly of writing letters, attending meetings, rallies and peaceful demonstrations. The most aggressive things we did were picketing and occupying the offices of Congressmen and Senators.

Because we were relatively peaceful and ordinary the media paid no attention to us. Instead they focused on the long-hair hell-raisers at airports because it made for more interesting reportage.

I've noticed that much less media attention is paid to Ray Lewis, a retired Philadelphia police captain who showed up at an Occupy protest in uniform and allowed himself to be arrested in solidarity with the movement.

Ret. police captain: To be arrested in solidarity ‘was the proudest moment of my life’ | The Raw Story
Yeah like they did with the tea party when there wasnt any news the MSM made it up and called them terrorist !:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back