Thousands of refugees with Armenian roots are returning, hoping to start a new life in the shadow o

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
They are not waiting to happen to them what happened to their ancestors 100 years ago.

Thousands of refugees with Armenian roots are returning, hoping to start a new life in the shadow of Mount Ararat. 100 years after the Armenian 'genocide', Andrew Connelly, in Yerevan, speaks to some of the diaspora who have come home.
ThinkstockPhotos-178122170_620x310.jpg

Thousands of refugees with Armenian roots are returning, hoping to start a new life in the shadow of Mount Ararat. Photo / Thinkstock
In his flat on the outskirts of the Armenian capital, Yerevan, Hovig Ashjian squints through a microscope as he plucks a minuscule shard of diamond and gently sets it into a silver ring. Originally from Aleppo, the jeweller moved to Armenia when fighting between militants and government forces intensified.

"I came here with nothing," he recalled. "One day I saw the tanks outside my home and people shouting so I said to my wife: 'Come on, better run'."

They raced to the airport in a drive that was normally 25 minutes but took three hours as they navigated the myriad roadblocks. They were just in time to catch what proved to be the last direct plane from Aleppo to Yerevan.

Continue reading at:

Syrian Armenians flee war and return to land of their ancestors - World - NZ Herald News

They are not waiting to happen to them what happened to their ancestors 100 years ago.

Thousands of refugees with Armenian roots are returning, hoping to start a new life in the shadow of Mount Ararat. 100 years after the Armenian 'genocide', Andrew Connelly, in Yerevan, speaks to some of the diaspora who have come home.
ThinkstockPhotos-178122170_620x310.jpg

Thousands of refugees with Armenian roots are returning, hoping to start a new life in the shadow of Mount Ararat. Photo / Thinkstock
In his flat on the outskirts of the Armenian capital, Yerevan, Hovig Ashjian squints through a microscope as he plucks a minuscule shard of diamond and gently sets it into a silver ring. Originally from Aleppo, the jeweller moved to Armenia when fighting between militants and government forces intensified.

"I came here with nothing," he recalled. "One day I saw the tanks outside my home and people shouting so I said to my wife: 'Come on, better run'."

They raced to the airport in a drive that was normally 25 minutes but took three hours as they navigated the myriad roadblocks. They were just in time to catch what proved to be the last direct plane from Aleppo to Yerevan.

Continue reading at:

Syrian Armenians flee war and return to land of their ancestors - World - NZ Herald News

wish them the best.

Forum List

Back