Thomas Friedman and Newt Gingrich on Meet the Press

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Inthemiddle, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    These two paint quite the interesting contrast of conservative speak in our nation at the time, don't they? Here's Friedman talking about how the GOP has been running obstructionist against the President and criticizing Obama by asking why didn't he "leverage the American people." He says that the GOP is mostly to blame for our current problems, citing how Bush led us into two wars which, for the first time in our history, weren't paid for by raising taxes.

On the other hand, here's Gingrich, talking about how Obama he sooo baaaaad!, reciting the common BS about how the very idea of Romney as President will drive the economy forward and how that alone will create great enough revenue, paired with some controls on spending, to balance the budget. Basically, he's doing nothing more than campaigning against Obama instead of actually addressing any issues.

It seems like most of the right has sold its soul. Why doesn't the right speak more like Friedman? The GOP could sweep this election if they were only focused on real issues, instead of anti-Obama talking points.

2. HUGGY

HUGGY I Post Because I Care Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,285
    Now you know why Gingrich ran in the GOPer primaries. To make himself relevant again. He has replaced Man Coulter as the GOP darling pundit on the tube.

3. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,855
    "During the War, Americans purchased approximately $186 billion worth of war bonds, accounting for nearly three quarters of total federal spending from 1941-1945."

How did America pay for World War II?

[​IMG]

4. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    This is the Friedman, whose words and thoughts, I listen to: Milton Friedman's.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsx1X8PV_A]Milton Friedman - Greed - YouTube[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,045
    It's like having George Jetson (Friedman) and Fred Flintstone (Gingrich) on the air at the same time.

The reason the right doesn't speak like Friedman is because it has archaic basic policies.

Lets look at Romney. It says on his website;
    The savings listed is $300,000,000. It will not prevent one abortion from taking place since it doesn't pay for abortion. It will remove one of the key funding sources--in most states the ONLY funding source--that helps prevent unwanted pregnancy. So it's a very small jump in logic to see that the $300M "savings" is ignorant of the costs that you'll experience later on in the form of more schools, more public assistance, and yes, more prison cells. Not to mention the degraded education in those overcrowded schools, degraded assistance since that pie certainly won't be getting larger too, and the human wreckage caused by crime.

The Governor's approach to saving $300M--it costs Americans about $1 each--is straight out of Bedrock and will do nothing to prevent abortions from taking place.

6. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,811
    Newt has been making the heavy audition pitch at MSNBC. He wants a job.

7. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,045
    He couldn't do worse than Al Sharpton. I think they should hire SE Cupp. At least she has a fresh voice to dusty old ideas.

[​IMG]

8. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,811

WHAT???
    A wingnut replacing a Liberal is a step up?

You must have not had your coffee yet. [​IMG]

Ummm... she already has a show on MSNBC called 'The Cycle'. She consistently makes dishonest arguments, and consistently gets proven wrong by the other hosts.

9. candycorn

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,045
    Her own show is more or less what I'm thinking of. As I understand, the Cycle is where there are rotating hosts/hostesses with panel discussions etc (I don't watch much MSNBC as you can tell :redface:).

As for being proven wrong; yeah and...

MSNBC and Fox are about entertainment. CNN is getting there themselves and the networks are moving that way too although the number of "news magazines" are dwindling--thank goodness.

You're right; the gig is old but at least she's a fresh face regurgitating long debunked blather. I guess I'll put it this way; I'd rather have her up there instead of Major Garrett.

10. Eaglewings

Eaglewings Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,642
    I have it taped on my DVR, will be sure not to eat anything to heavy before watching, thanks for the heads up!