This Week It's Newsweek, But It's Really the MSM

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, May 22, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Per usual there are many links at site.

http://eddriscoll.com/archives/007122.php

2. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Mainstream media is dying a slow death, and the more they kick, scream, and blame others for their failure, they dig their own grave a little deeper.

The Newsweek story reminds me of the stories from the National Enquirer years ago. My mother would get one occasionally for entertainment. They would never quote anyone directly, it would always be "sources say" or "says a friend". It was always a give away that the story was bs. Looks like it still is.

3. nakedemperor

nakedemperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +150
    The mainstream media in its current form may be dying (*may* be, this is a veeeery broad statement to make, that the mainstream media, in all its forms and manifestations, is going away), but there will always be a mainstream media, in one form or another.

4. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Let me rephrase. The popularity of the mainstream media is dying a slow death. As an example, last year the average person could name the anchors of the big three news broadcasts, even if they didn't watch them. Who are the anchors today? Most probably don't know. Granted, the fact that there are many more options for getting news plays a part, but the current form of so called joarnalism certainly doesn't help.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I don't think the MSM is dying, but it is quickly, not slowly, losing any semblance of being a purveyor of honest information. While just glancing around the blogs I came across two example of WHY:

From Newsweek, one gets this, 'It's not OUR fault the Pentagon didn't tell us NOT to print. They then go onto make 'new rules' to prevent this from happening again, unless it's really, really necessary:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7937042/site/newsweek/

Then there's this from the NYT:

http://nalert.blogspot.com/2005/05/new-york-times-mea-culpa.html

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    While not claiming that they got the story 'right' they are trying to give it another go:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7937016/site/newsweek/

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Agreed. A decade ago, when I was in journalism school, they were proclaiming the death of newspapers tomorrow. Of course, newspapers are still around. So there's a lot of Chicken Little in this area.

But the MSM is being hit hard by the Internet. Chat boards like this, where conservatives gather, conservative blogs that blew up the Dan Rather memogate story... all examples. Now, instead of just fuming about the liberal media to your spouse, you can go into the den, log on to the Internet, and post with others -- and read others -- who agree with you. And that's great. It's democracy in the purest sense.

Of course, I like it for another reason, and that is that whites who are not pleased with the direction of America can gather and vent (and organize). This is quite worrisome to the liberal powers that be.

8. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533

Fascinating stuff! From Richard M. Smith, Chairman and Editor-in-Chief, Newsweek Magazine (emphasis mine):

"We have also offered a sincere apology to...anyone AFFECTED by violence that MAY HAVE BEEN RELATED to what we published".

A) I daresay the dead were "affected"....

B) "May have been related"???!! What a sniveling coward.

"Let me assure our readers and our staffers that NEWSWEEK remains every bit as committed to honest, independent and accurate reporting as we always have been."

Why do I find so little comfort in that statement?

9. Jimmyeatworld

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    To me, they are starting to sound a lot like the Democrats over the last few years.

"We did something wrong.... but it's all someone else's fault!!