This quirky traditional dinner with Hillary & Donald and hosted by the Bishop of New York

turzovka

Gold Member
Nov 20, 2012
After the final debate of every presidential election campaign the Catholic bishop of New York hosts these two combatants, the governor, mayor, "distinguished" members of the press and other high ranking officials at this dinner / roast. Both candidates speak and it is always mostly with jokes. I think it's the craziest, awkward thing but it always happens and usually the jokes are pretty funny.

So here is last night's review from the Washington Post. Note: I am sure the joke's are better when delivered than when read below. But this is what gets me. The Washington Post, who like the New York Times considers themselves to be highly esteemed by the world and a great journalism watchdog serving the public and the common good (pardon me while I throw up) ---- they stand in snooty criticism of this evening and based on these headlines and their review show almost shocking disdain for such behavior. Oh, give me a break! You think this is easy? You think they have a library of ideas to assemble jokes in short order? Have you not noticed this is exactly how it goes every four years? Can you not once give the Catholic Church a little credit for letting their "be kind and holy" guard down and hosting this event?

No, the Washington Post has to chime in like --- how distasteful can this all be? Meanwhile, it is ok with them to lie and deceive the world and lay waste to their duty and profession by becoming an unscrupulous enabler for their party --- all the while pretending to the world they are some kind of virtuous guardian of the truth.

The very bad jokes Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump told at the Al Smith dinner

Almost exactly 24 hours after they met in a testy third-and-final presidential debate, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton again found themselves on the same stage — although this time, the insults they traded were supposed to be for laughs.

At least, that was the idea.

The two were taking part in a longstanding New York City tradition, the Al Smith charity dinner. (For more on the festivities, see this scene-setter from the Times.)

And now, to the important stuff: The jokes. Below, we'll pull our favorites — and favorite clunkers — from each candidate('s paid joke-writers) and explain why they did — but mostly didn't — work. Trump's comments seemed unusually mean-spirited, given the forum, while Clinton's jokes often fell flat.

Donald Trump
The Good

“Oh this one’s going to get me in trouble — not with Hillary. You know the president told me to stop whining, but I really have to say the media is more biased this year than ever before. You want the proof? Michelle Obama gives a speech, and everyone loves it. It’s fantastic. They think she’s absolutely great. My wife, Melania, gives the exact same speech, and people get on her case! And I don’t get it. I don't know why.”
(Points for wife-deprecation. This was a very good joke -- and one that Trump should have concluded with. Instead, he kept talking.)

“We have proven that we can actually be civil toward each other. In fact, before taking the dais, Hillary accidentally bumped into me, and she very civilly said, ‘Pardon me.’ And I very politely replied, 'Let me talk to you about that after I get into office.'”
(Not great, but as you'll see, the bar is low.)

The Bad

“Last night they said that was the most vicious debate in the history of politics. … I’m trying to think back to Lincoln. I don’t know.”
(Do people really know what was said at the Lincoln debates?)

“I have no doubt that Hillary is going to laugh quite a bit tonight — sometimes even at an appropriate moment.”
(I have been following this campaign closely, and even I don't know what this means.)

“The truth is I’m actually a modest person. Very modest. In fact, people tell me that modesty is actually my best quality — even better than my temperament.”
(Negative points for a cliche premise — Trump as not humble. Even more negative points for the temperament addendum.)

“And Hillary was very gracious. She said if somehow she gets elected, she wants me to be without question either her ambassador to Iraq or to Afghanistan. It’s my choice.”
(This evokes some very real things that people may not want to revisit.)

The Even Worse

“I wasn’t really sure if Hillary was going to be here tonight, because I guess you didn’t send her invitation by email — or maybe you just did, and she just found out about it through the wonder of WikiLeaks.”
(Again, the addendum.)

“Hillary is so corrupt, she got kicked off the Watergate Commission. How corrupt do you have to be to get kicked off the Watergate Commission?”
(It is not true that Clinton was kicked off the commission, so negative points for a faulty premise. And the joke was meh.)

“We’ve learned so much from WikiLeaks. For instance, Hillary believes that it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy and a totally different policy in private. … For example, here she is tonight, in public, pretending not to hate Catholics."
(Besides being unfunny, this is also objectively unfair: it's a reference to a WikiLeaks email in which Clinton advisers — not Clinton herself — speak disparagingly about conservative Catholics.)

“Everyone knows, of course, Hillary’s belief that, 'It takes a village,' which only makes sense, after all, in places like Haiti, where she’s taken a number of them."
(This is about human suffering.)

Hillary Clinton
The Good

"I took a break from my rigorous nap schedule to be here. And as all of you heard, it's a treat for all of you, because usually I charge a lot for speeches like this."
(Solid self-deprecation.)

"Your eminence, you do deserve great credit for bringing together two people who've been at each other's throats — mortal enemies, bitter foes. I've got to ask: How did you get the governor and mayor here together tonight."
(Inside joke for those assembled — Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Democratic New York Mayor Bill de Blasio have feuded — but thoroughly decent.)

To Trump: "After listening to your speech, I will also enjoy listening to Mike Pence deny that you ever gave it."
(Topical. Timely. Even without knowing that Trump would go off the rails when the remarks were prepared.)

The Bad

"Just to be clear, I think the Cardinal is saying I'm not eligible for sainthood, but getting through these three debates with Donald has to count as a miracle. So I guess I'm up against the highest, hardest, stained-glass ceiling."
(Again, quit while you're ahead.)

"Now, I've got to say, there are a lot of friendly faces in this room -- people I've been privileged to know and work with. I just want to put you all in a basket of adorables."
(Sort of self-deprecating, given Clinton backed off her "basket of deplorables" comment, but a little short on execution.)

"And you look so good in your tuxes -- or as I call them, formal pantsuits."
(Pantsuit jokes should have been retired eight years ago.)

"I'm not boring at all. In fact, I'm the life of every party I attend. And I've been to three."
(The execution was just...off. Hard to put it into words here.)

The Even Worse

"People look at the Statue of Liberty, and they see a proud history of a nation of immigrants — a beacon of hope for people around the world. Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a 4. Maybe a 5 if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair."
(Some will love this. It was roast-y and semi-clever. It also was one sentence too long.)

"Every year, this dinner brings together a collection of sensible, committed mainstream Republicans. Or, as we now like to call them, Hillary supporters."
(Too self-serving for our taste.)

"Come to think of it, a good number for a woman: 45. But I digress."
(It's because she would be the 45th president. Do you get it?)

Last edited:
After the final debate of every presidential election campaign the Catholic bishop of New York hosts these two combatants, the governor, mayor, "distinguished" members of the press and other high ranking officials at this dinner / roast. Both candidates speak and it is always mostly with jokes. I think it's the craziest, awkward thing but it always happens and usually the jokes are pretty funny.

So here is last night's review from the Washington Post. Note: I am sure the joke's are better when delivered than when read below. But this is what gets me. The Washington Post, who like the New York Times considers themselves to be highly esteemed by the world and a great journalism watchdog serving the public and the common good (pardon me while I throw up) ---- they stand in snooty criticism of this evening and based on these headlines and their review show almost shocking disdain for such behavior. Oh, give me a break! You think this is easy? You think they have a library of ideas to assemble jokes in short order? Have you not noticed this is exactly how it goes every four years? Can you not once give the Catholic Church a little credit for letting their "be kind and holy" guard down and hosting this event?

No, the Washington Post has to chime in like --- how distasteful can this all be? Meanwhile, it is ok with them to lie and deceive the world and lay waste to their duty and profession by becoming an unscrupulous enabler for their party --- all the while pretending to the world they are some kind of virtuous guardian of the truth.

The very bad jokes Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump told at the Al Smith dinner

Almost exactly 24 hours after they met in a testy third-and-final presidential debate, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton again found themselves on the same stage — although this time, the insults they traded were supposed to be for laughs.

At least, that was the idea.

The two were taking part in a longstanding New York City tradition, the Al Smith charity dinner. (For more on the festivities, see this scene-setter from the Times.)

And now, to the important stuff: The jokes. Below, we'll pull our favorites — and favorite clunkers — from each candidate('s paid joke-writers) and explain why they did — but mostly didn't — work. Trump's comments seemed unusually mean-spirited, given the forum, while Clinton's jokes often fell flat.

Donald Trump
The Good

“Oh this one’s going to get me in trouble — not with Hillary. You know the president told me to stop whining, but I really have to say the media is more biased this year than ever before. You want the proof? Michelle Obama gives a speech, and everyone loves it. It’s fantastic. They think she’s absolutely great. My wife, Melania, gives the exact same speech, and people get on her case! And I don’t get it. I don't know why.”
(Points for wife-deprecation. This was a very good joke -- and one that Trump should have concluded with. Instead, he kept talking.)

“We have proven that we can actually be civil toward each other. In fact, before taking the dais, Hillary accidentally bumped into me, and she very civilly said, ‘Pardon me.’ And I very politely replied, 'Let me talk to you about that after I get into office.'”
(Not great, but as you'll see, the bar is low.)

The Bad

“Last night they said that was the most vicious debate in the history of politics. … I’m trying to think back to Lincoln. I don’t know.”
(Do people really know what was said at the Lincoln debates?)

“I have no doubt that Hillary is going to laugh quite a bit tonight — sometimes even at an appropriate moment.”
(I have been following this campaign closely, and even I don't know what this means.)

“The truth is I’m actually a modest person. Very modest. In fact, people tell me that modesty is actually my best quality — even better than my temperament.”
(Negative points for a cliche premise — Trump as not humble. Even more negative points for the temperament addendum.)

“And Hillary was very gracious. She said if somehow she gets elected, she wants me to be without question either her ambassador to Iraq or to Afghanistan. It’s my choice.”
(This evokes some very real things that people may not want to revisit.)

The Even Worse

“I wasn’t really sure if Hillary was going to be here tonight, because I guess you didn’t send her invitation by email — or maybe you just did, and she just found out about it through the wonder of WikiLeaks.”
(Again, the addendum.)

“Hillary is so corrupt, she got kicked off the Watergate Commission. How corrupt do you have to be to get kicked off the Watergate Commission?”
(It is not true that Clinton was kicked off the commission, so negative points for a faulty premise. And the joke was meh.)

“We’ve learned so much from WikiLeaks. For instance, Hillary believes that it’s vital to deceive the people by having one public policy and a totally different policy in private. … For example, here she is tonight, in public, pretending not to hate Catholics."
(Besides being unfunny, this is also objectively unfair: it's a reference to a WikiLeaks email in which Clinton advisers — not Clinton herself — speak disparagingly about conservative Catholics.)

“Everyone knows, of course, Hillary’s belief that, 'It takes a village,' which only makes sense, after all, in places like Haiti, where she’s taken a number of them."
(This is about human suffering.)

Hillary Clinton
The Good

"I took a break from my rigorous nap schedule to be here. And as all of you heard, it's a treat for all of you, because usually I charge a lot for speeches like this."
(Solid self-deprecation.)

"Your eminence, you do deserve great credit for bringing together two people who've been at each other's throats — mortal enemies, bitter foes. I've got to ask: How did you get the governor and mayor here together tonight."
(Inside joke for those assembled — Democratic New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Democratic New York Mayor Bill de Blasio have feuded — but thoroughly decent.)

To Trump: "After listening to your speech, I will also enjoy listening to Mike Pence deny that you ever gave it."
(Topical. Timely. Even without knowing that Trump would go off the rails when the remarks were prepared.)

The Bad

"Just to be clear, I think the Cardinal is saying I'm not eligible for sainthood, but getting through these three debates with Donald has to count as a miracle. So I guess I'm up against the highest, hardest, stained-glass ceiling."
(Again, quit while you're ahead.)

"Now, I've got to say, there are a lot of friendly faces in this room -- people I've been privileged to know and work with. I just want to put you all in a basket of adorables."
(Sort of self-deprecating, given Clinton backed off her "basket of deplorables" comment, but a little short on execution.)

"And you look so good in your tuxes -- or as I call them, formal pantsuits."
(Pantsuit jokes should have been retired eight years ago.)

"I'm not boring at all. In fact, I'm the life of every party I attend. And I've been to three."
(The execution was just...off. Hard to put it into words here.)

The Even Worse

"People look at the Statue of Liberty, and they see a proud history of a nation of immigrants — a beacon of hope for people around the world. Donald looks at the Statue of Liberty and sees a 4. Maybe a 5 if she loses the torch and tablet and changes her hair."
(Some will love this. It was roast-y and semi-clever. It also was one sentence too long.)

"Every year, this dinner brings together a collection of sensible, committed mainstream Republicans. Or, as we now like to call them, Hillary supporters."

"Come to think of it, a good number for a woman: 45. But I digress."
(It's because she would be the 45th president. Do you get it?)

The Even Worse

=====

Those were pretty funny.

New Topics

Forum List

Back