This is awesome ...

Eva has a wonderful voice.

But as to making me cry?

Anyone who can sing that song even half assed can make me a tad weapy. Anyone ever hear Willy Nelson do it?

That song is genius, folks. Pure genius.

Well...pure two geniuses really... Harold Arlen (music) by E.Y. Harburg (lyrics)

FYI, Harburg wrote the lyrics first and Arlen wrote the tune that turned those words from sacarine sentimentalism into pure emotive gold.

I happened to see Arlen on 60 minutes(?) explaining how he struggled to make the tune work so well with the words.

You know how it goes "Some (low note) WHERE (extrememly high note) over the rainbow?"

He explained that it had to be that way in order to get people to emotionally go up that high with the song.

Here's a list of that man's major tunes. I've taken the liberty of emboldening those which are well known to me and probably to anyone whose musical memory includes the great tunes of the 30's and 40s.

Most of those I've emboldened are songs that the jazz greats tend to play with, typically sans the lyrics.

Eva has a wonderful voice.

But as to making me cry?

Anyone who can sing that song even half assed can make me a tad weapy. Anyone ever hear Willy Nelson do it?

That song is genius, folks. Pure genius.

Well...pure two geniuses really... Harold Arlen (music) by E.Y. Harburg (lyrics)

FYI, Harburg wrote the lyrics first and Arlen wrote the tune that turned those words from sacarine sentimentalism into pure emotive gold.

I happened to see Arlen on 60 minutes(?) explaining how he struggled to make the tune work so well with the words.

You know how it goes "Some (low note) WHERE (extrememly high note) over the rainbow?"

He explained that it had to be that way in order to get people to emotionally go up that high with the song.

Here's a list of that man's major tunes. I've taken the liberty of emboldening those which are well known to me and probably to anyone whose musical memory includes the great tunes of the 30's and 40s.

Most of those I've emboldened are songs that the jazz greats tend to play with, typically sans the lyrics.

Great post. I agree - there have been several people that have done "Somewhere over the rainbow" ... but I think it was her story that really got to me.

"But as to making me cry" - must be a 'girlie" thing. :)

I will have to check our your links. Thanks! :)

Forum List

Back