CDZ Thinking about equality among Americans

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Xelor, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    The exact opposite is the case. The final paragraph of my post makes clear the difference in very simple terms, for those who don't comprehend the key difference of a job being something one receives from others and a career being something one creates for oneself.

2. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,194
    Narrow interpretation of a career

A career is a position that allows you to support yourself, your family, provide a decent standard of living you can eventually retire on

3. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    What you've provided is the narrow definition. It is the definition of a job or (series thereof) that one has and that happen to pay well enough to provide whatever one deems a "decent standard of living."

As for retiring, one can retire from any job. I'm semi-retired insofar as I've chosen to take on no new clients/projects, limiting my scope of work to overseeing the completion of the few I have that still have a few years left on their initial engagement scope and serving as a subject matter expert and/or adjunct as needed, whereafter I will transition fully to a non-client-facing role and upon reaching 62 and barring some calamitous happenstance, fully retire. I'm sure I'll do something after that, but whether it'll be "travel the world," charitable work, or something else is anybody's guess. Whatever it be, it, like the ~30 year career that will then be over, will be something of my choosing and that I control what I do and the nature and extent of how, when and where I do it.

Okay, so that said, I'm now bored with this discussion. As noted before, there is no point continuing. You are not going to rethink your conception of the differences between jobs and careers, and I'm not going to either. We're both adults, and I really don't have any interest in or concern for what you think about the difference between the two, and I should think you are of the same mind with regard to me. I care not whether you concur with me or don't. I don't even care to try swaying your mindset on the matter. Conceive of the two in whatever way you see fit and "run with it." It'll either serve you well (or has already) or it won't; either way is no matter to me. Thus, AFAIC, we're done with this part of the discussion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +564
    No, I didn't suppose you would agree. School choice - it's what's not on the menu at the DNC. ;)

PEPG Home
    D.C. Voucher Students: Higher Graduation Rates and Other Positive Outcomes
    School Choice Deniers

Education is the great equalizer - whether from trade schools and apprenticeships or college degrees - skills and knowledge have value. But our current, outdated system is not doing so well compared to other industrialized nations, despite outspending all but one.

There is of course more to financial success than education alone. It's the indefinable difference between Ben Carson and myself, for example. Both of us lived in Detroit - and I had all the apparent advantages - two parents both employed, white, attending a predominantly white school in a middle/middle class neighborhood, was never sideways of the law...yet look where he sits, while I opine on a message board.

...and women making less than men?...true, and here's why; Don't Buy Into The Gender Pay Gap Myth

I applaud your involvement in your community and no doubt many are grateful and have benefitted from your generosity and time, the sharing of your knowledge - however, your premises of the state of the nation sound an awful like Clinton/Sanders campaign slogans.

Rather than reopen those debates tho' - I'll focus on the following statement in this one...

Indeed.

5. Bonzi

Bonzi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,202
    I wasn't born rich, but, decent. I had my entire college education paid for.
    I don't utilize it now.
    I had opportunity to be whatever I wanted, but I was aimless and without ambition.

I still am but I'm OK with that, it's who I am.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +564
    Soooo...how do the folks who footed the bill feel about it? ;) (j/k)

Maybe you're just a late bloomer. :)

It seems you did make use of the opportunity to be what you wanted to be, you chose your path and as long as I'm not paying your tolls along the way - celebrate it!

7. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    You utilize it every day; you just don't realize it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Picaro

Picaro Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,931
    Few people are educated enough to make the right school choice for anybody, frankly, so that whole fad is just as doomed to failure; as we're finding out many of these schools are faking their results.

The point should be equal opportunity, not equal results, which is an impossibility, racial factors or not; quota systems in fact destroy equal opportunity, and end up dumbing down everybody else without making minorities any more educated or successful. Thanks for your sane post; I didn't expect to find one here. Reverse racism as a 'solution' is ludicrous on its face.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +564
    There is evidence to the contrary on both counts The voucher program is one of many options for school choice and is narrowly targeted...I consider it a well needed bandaid, Other options include, but not limited to, charter, virtual, trade schools etc. We need a broad spectrum approach that operates outside the box of the traditional school calendar and districting...not to destroy public education, but to enhance it and make it work for the people who matter most - the student, and secondly the folks footing the bill. (the nation)

Well said.

Thank you - I strive for sanity most of the time, and sometimes fail abysmally. :)

10. Bonzi

Bonzi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,202
    My mom's fine with it. I think she just likes the bragging rights. Of course, I'm 53 now so it's ancient history. I love to work, I jus don't like pressure