CDZ Thinking about equality among Americans

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Xelor, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Luddly Neddite

Luddly Neddite Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,549
    You ask some good questions.

Please tell us your answers?

What have you done?

I'm serious. I would really like to know. TIA

2. SeaGal

SeaGal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +553
    It's important to note that my questions were seeking clarification and deeper understanding of the op's statements...as of this posting unanswered save one.

However, what have I done you ask?

Very little by myself in the scheme of things grand or lofty sounding - I've spent the better part of my adult life in service to my community - some paid and much volunteered. From working with CDS on weekends fostering children who are unadoptable to role modeling with families 'at risk' - usually young single moms. Helping VOA with housing for homeless vets. Donated supplies and time to food banks and food kitchens. Screened applicants for Holiday help with meals and gifts. Coached soccer, sponsored 4H clubs, taught Sunday school and volunteered with Little League, on SAC committees and PTA. Those were my unpaid jobs. I got paid for 20+ years of working with mentally challenged youth, on the job training for same, and spent a short time working with delinquent youth fresh out of detention. I taught my children to think for themselves and to look deeper for the truth than headlines or survey results. I've paid my taxes and played by the rules.

Education - a broad-spectrum-all-of-the-above non-traditional approach is critical to build a path out of poverty. Who could deny that? Encouragement and equal treatment under the law is critical to building a path out of poverty. Self-respect is critical for building a path out of poverty.

It isn't sameness we should be seeking, except in the eyes of the law, for sameness is an impossibility. There always have been and always will be barriers and obstacles to overcome...some will face them more than others. We should look backwards now and again to celebrate how far we've come. We are a generous country and a generous people - perfect?, no. We all have our blemishes...so it is foolish to look in the mirror while patting one's back and only see the flaws in the 'others'.

3. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
  4. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    I do not agree. I don't because my own review of schools that become accessible as a result of vouchers don't appear to be any better than public schools. I've shared my thoughts about vouchers in elsewhere on USMB.

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,008
    The bigger problem is the availability of upward mobility. You can get a job. You can't get a career you can support a family on, accumulate family wealth that can be passed on, eventually retire

6. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    That's because nobody gives careers. A career is something workers creates for themselves. They do so by starting with one of the jobs or other opportunities they are given and building on it.

7. rightwinger

rightwinger Award Winning USMB Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,008
    Careers used to be a reward for good performance and loyalty

They would offer pensions, perks and vacation time in return for staying

Now they fire you at the first break in production

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Xelor

Xelor Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,508
    As long as you maintain that a career is something one is given by an employer and I maintain that a career is something one develops for oneself, there really no point to our continuing this line of discussion.

I can assure you that as I'm only the most recent person in a long line of family members, close friends and relatives who've created highly rewarding -- financially and personally -- careers for themselves, and having mentored other people in the development of their careers, I've too often seen the fruits accruing to individuals who build a career rather than wait for someone to give them one. Indeed, I've never seen anyone be given a career.

Accordingly, I'm not going to alter my position. One of my core principles is that each and every one of us must take responsibility for our lives and all we do in them. Even, say, the women of whom I wrote in the OP must do that, and forge on in spite of the inequities they face by dint of being female. Have they a harder way to go? Yes, but go they must. The disadvantage affects how far they can go and what roads they may take, not whether they must set out.

To have a career, one must say to oneself, "This is what I'm going to do with my life because it interests me to do it, and it needs or will soon need to be done. This is the contribution I am going to make to 'whatever' persons or things in the world." While that thing can be something momentous, it doesn't have to be. It does, however, have to be a thing of which the achieving it is something of which one never tires, something one would sooner do even if one weren't being paid to do it.

After determining what it is one will do, one sets about doing it, thereby creating a career, which, done effectively, consists of a series of goals and accomplishments, and, as new opportunities appear, new goals and new accomplishments, all focused around the central thing one initially determined one would do with one's life. In short, to have a career is to have taken ownership of one's life for a career is something that provides not only money in the pocket, but also a host of personal things not the least of which are self-confidence and the satisfaction that comes from achieving that which one set out to achieve. (If all one gets from one's work is money, well, that's just a job.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  9. task0778

task0778 Silver Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,594
    People make career choices, employers do not. An employer can fire you but he can't stop you from continuing your career at another place of employment. Or changing your career path if you want to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. rightwinger

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +58,008
    You are still not differentiating a career from a job