Think you know US history? Think again

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Consider myself well-informed. Inquisitive, intelligent, prone to using google for any question I may have. And even I'm surprised by some of the things I've recently discovered.

For example: Did you know that in addition to the nuclear missiles in Cuba during the '62 missile crisis, Cuba had about 100 tactical nuclear weapons ready to use on any US invasion force? I didn't. Figured they had some medium-range 'city killers' ready to go, but never heard anything about a hundred tactical nukes. But it's true.

Another disturbing fact: Did you know it was a Soviet 'zampolit' or political officer talking down his submarine captain from firing a nuclear-tipped torpedo dring the Caban Missile Crisis after their sub had been depthcharge attacked by US naval vessels? If he hadn't, the sub commander would have fired (after being fired on) and in all likelyhood we'd have been in a hot shooting war with the Soviets. And probably not talking about it now.

I'd known about the KGB guy during the Cold War who prevented a nuclear exchange but I hadn't heard about the zampolit.

Reminds me of a line from the BBC "Hitchhiker's Guide" movie way back, "Scholars say this sort of thing is going on all the time, but that they're powerless to prevent it." :)

Number of times we've come WAY too close to using nuclear weapons is beyond disturbing. I'd known about many of them, but I didn't realize there were more. Lots more.

Wasn't just the US and USSR either. France had a close call when some French nuclear base in the Pacific was compromised, rebels or whoever got on base, got control of a nuclear weapon and only the quick thinking of one of the loyal officers detonating the weapon preventing a live nuke falling into rebel hands. Detonated the conventional explosives used to treigger the nuclear reaction so only a conventional explosion. But basicly it was what we now call a 'dirty bomb' or radiological dispersion device.

If you ever find yourself wanting to know more about what's gone on, and is going on, talk yourself out of it. "He that increseth his knowledge doth also increseth his sorrow." :)

Lucky for us there are neither cites nor a links to that information.

Did the far left know that there was a history to Iraq before 2003?

Did anyone know that before JFK was assassinated he planned to escalate the Vietnam war, it started with him increasing troops form 6000 to 18000 four months before he died..

Did you know that the Confederate Flag was used as a battle flag representing General Lee?

Beginning in 1909 (and continuing into the 1970s), the Australian government instituted a policy of removing Aboriginal children from their parents and teaching them to reject their Aboriginality.

And how many of these 10.7 million Africans were shipped directly to North America during the slave trade? Only about 388,000. That's right: a tiny percentage.

I thought the Confederate flag was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia.

The United States Census of 1860 was the eighth Census conducted in the United States starting June 1, 1860 and lasting five months. It determined the population of the United States to be 31,443,321, an increase of 35.4 percent over the 23,191,875 persons enumerated during the 1850 Census. The total population included 3,953,761 slaves, representing 12.6% of the total population.
Wiki

The dirty little secret about the "Cuban missile crisis"is that the Russians knew more about the clinically insane brother of the president who was appointed "attorney general" and spent most of his time hatching plans to murder Castro who was the legitimate leader of a sovereign country. The Russians knew that the Kennedy brothers illegally used the CIA to raise an invasion army which was abandoned at the Bay of Pigs. Most Americans weren't aware of JFK's antics because the liberal media acted as cover. The alleged Cuban missiles were nothing compared to Russian boomer subs which freely cruised off the coast of the U.S.just as American boomer subs cruised the North Atlantic but JFK found a way to save face after the Bay of Pigs and risked the U.S. in Devcon #2 when Cuba had limited communications with mother Russia and might have set off the big one by accident. The liberal media called "the Cuban Missile Crisis" a victory for the Kennedys but it was business as usual.

Consider myself well-informed. Inquisitive, intelligent, prone to using google for any question I may have. And even I'm surprised by some of the things I've recently discovered.

For example: Did you know that in addition to the nuclear missiles in Cuba during the '62 missile crisis, Cuba had about 100 tactical nuclear weapons ready to use on any US invasion force? I didn't. Figured they had some medium-range 'city killers' ready to go, but never heard anything about a hundred tactical nukes. But it's true.

Another disturbing fact: Did you know it was a Soviet 'zampolit' or political officer talking down his submarine captain from firing a nuclear-tipped torpedo dring the Caban Missile Crisis after their sub had been depthcharge attacked by US naval vessels? If he hadn't, the sub commander would have fired (after being fired on) and in all likelyhood we'd have been in a hot shooting war with the Soviets. And probably not talking about it now.

I'd known about the KGB guy during the Cold War who prevented a nuclear exchange but I hadn't heard about the zampolit.

Reminds me of a line from the BBC "Hitchhiker's Guide" movie way back, "Scholars say this sort of thing is going on all the time, but that they're powerless to prevent it." :)

Number of times we've come WAY too close to using nuclear weapons is beyond disturbing. I'd known about many of them, but I didn't realize there were more. Lots more.

Wasn't just the US and USSR either. France had a close call when some French nuclear base in the Pacific was compromised, rebels or whoever got on base, got control of a nuclear weapon and only the quick thinking of one of the loyal officers detonating the weapon preventing a live nuke falling into rebel hands. Detonated the conventional explosives used to treigger the nuclear reaction so only a conventional explosion. But basicly it was what we now call a 'dirty bomb' or radiological dispersion device.

If you ever find yourself wanting to know more about what's gone on, and is going on, talk yourself out of it. "He that increseth his knowledge doth also increseth his sorrow." :)
Why do you think the dumbing down of America has been so successful for Leftism? It can only thrive with an ignorant populace.

Cuba had about 100 tactical nuclear weapons ready to use

knew that thought everyone did common knowledge

Another disturbing fact: Did you know it was a Soviet 'zampolit' or political officer talking down his submarine captain from firing a nuclear-tipped torpedo dring the Caban Missile Crisis after their sub had been depthcharge attacked by US naval vessels? If he hadn't, the sub commander would have fired (after being fired on) and in all likelyhood we'd have been in a hot shooting war with the Soviets.

are you smarter then a 5th grader material

--LOL

the aides of JFK drafted his speech announcing the invasion of cuba

about a 100 tactical nuclear weapons remained in cuba for years after the crisis

Forum List

Back