Think You Drink A Lot?

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Think you drink a lot This chart will tell you. - The Washington Post

Do you drink a glass of wine with dinner every night? That puts you in the top 30 percent of American adults in terms of per-capita alcohol consumption. If you drink two glasses, that would put you in the top 20 percent.

But in order to break into the top 10 percent of American drinkers, you would need to drink more than two bottles of wine with every dinner. And you'd still be below-average among those top 10 percenters.

The top 10 percent of American drinkers - 24 million adults over age 18 - consume, on average, 74 alcoholic drinks per week. That works out to a little more than four-and-a-half 750 ml bottles of Jack Daniels, 18 bottles of wine, or three 24-can cases of beer. In one week.

Or, if you prefer, 10 drinks per day.

drinking.png

TEN DRINKS A DAY???

I wouldn't be able to function.

I'm pretty sure I don't drink enough...

Actually, I'm pretty sure I do!

I was married to a dry drunk for 25 years. Didn't have so much as a sip of wine during that time so I'm kinda making up for it now. :cheers2:

But, I have some rules that I never break. I never drink after 7pm because I don't want alcohol in my system when I go to bed.

I don't like alcohol. I drank a beer at a Christmas party last year and I don't even think I finished it. I had a shot of 100 proof peppermint schnapps at a Christmas party the year before that. It nearly knocked my ass over. I'm not used to it. I can live without alcohol though, so I do.

I finally figured out that buying a 1.75 liter jug of Jim Beam is half the cost of buying it a pint at a time. And I'm very careful to set my limit.

You want to see a "top 10%" drinker, watch Leaving Las Vegas with Nicholas Cage.

I don't effectively drink at all. When I go to my Mom's for holidays or the occasional dinner, if my brother and sister are along they might want strawberry daquiris. So I might have one of those. But I don't keep any booze at home or drink on my own out n about.

Drinking was more alluring when I was under 21. Once it was legal it lost much of its mystique. :)

I'm in the ninth decile

I have more work to do

During non-football season, i can average 8-10 drinks a week, usually done on one day in a weekend.

Football season means monday night football, so that ups to around 14-16 a week, over two days/nights.

I had a bottle of Gin I bought before Christmas last year and just finished it a couple of weeks ago.

Put wine in my Spaghetti sauce.

If I don't have booze around I learned that I don't crave it. Keep it around and eventually it gets drunk.

I can't buy in to 10% of the population having over ten drinks a day

It's ironic how much I got in trouble drinking before turning 21 by my Mom. Then once I was 21 and exhibited no interest in continuing to she keeps offering me wine and champagnes being a wine snob. :) Tease her about that all the time. :)

I had a bottle of Gin I bought before Christmas last year and just finished it a couple of weeks ago.

Put wine in my Spaghetti sauce.

If I don't have booze around I learned that I don't crave it. Keep it around and eventually it gets drunk.

I keep plenty of booze in my house, but rarely drink on my own. Alcohol to me is a social lubricant. Once in a blue moon I will have a single glass of a nice single malt to calm my nerves after a hard day of work.

Was stunned to learn that here in Missouri and presumedly some other states, minors are allowed to drink alcohol if at home with parental supervision. Was doing double-takes seeing people walking around drinking openly here (coming from California) so looked up the alcohol-related laws. Can do both it seems.

Forum List

Back