things are so good...i am waiting for the other shoe to drop

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
ok i grew up poor...no food and no gas for the car poor, had realy bad luck with women....figured i would never get married or have kids and be poor my whole life.....so i bust my ass to put myself through architecture school, make my career, find a great woman, have two great kids, find a cool house ...remodel it myself.....so now i have all i that i never thought that i would ever see......every day i work my ass off to make sure none of it is lost.....and every day i dread that something out of my control will take it from me....fear is a great motivator....

anyone else experience this?

Everyone experienes this... once you realize you deserve everything you went out and fought tooth and nail for, you will no longer be afraid of losing it, because you know you can always achieve what you set out for again, if need be. So relax, know you deserve the good things in life, and relish in it.

Comrade said:
Everyone experienes this... once you realize you deserve everything you went out and fought tooth and nail for, you will no longer be afraid of losing it, because you know you can always achieve what you set out for again, if need be. So relax, know you deserve the good things in life, and relish in it.

excellent point...all the material things can be replaced ..... don't care about any of that stuff....not even my job.....my wife son and daughter can not be replaced......i hug them every chance i get....that is what i stress about....

manu1959 said:
ok i grew up poor...no food and no gas for the car poor, had realy bad luck with women....figured i would never get married or have kids and be poor my whole life.....so i bust my ass to put myself through architecture school, make my career, find a great woman, have two great kids, find a cool house ...remodel it myself.....so now i have all i that i never thought that i would ever see......every day i work my ass off to make sure none of it is lost.....and every day i dread that something out of my control will take it from me....fear is a great motivator....

Similar situation for me Manu... I grew up dirt poor in Texas, went into the military and then after serving for 8 years got out, went to school and started my own business. I went through the "scared of losing it all phase" as well as the "I've gotta have more phase" but now I am content and know, as Comrade said, if need be, I can do it again. I also remind myself often that even if I lose some of the "material" things, I am still way better off than I was as a kid and I am way better off than lots of people in this world. So I don't worry as much as I once did about it all.

Said1 said:
Ever marvel at how truly ungrateful some people really are?
Yup. But I also understand how SOME (not all) go through that phase. There was a point where I didn't appreciate what I had gained. And then I realized one day...

I often tell people that are just starting out in business, etc., "don't let the money change you". They all say (and I said the same thing), "oh, it won't". But one thing you realize, whether you want it to or not, money DOES change EVERYBODY once they get it. It is just a fact of life. You start living in different neighborhoods, hanging out with different people, eating nicer foods, drinking better wines, etc. There is NO WAY you can avoid it changing you. So we have to take a step back and realize that and then control it so we don't become snootie jerk-offs!

Sometimes I worry that the gov will really start to turn on the "Big Bad Christians," and we will have things taken away. I don't see it happening soon, but.... I remember the bill that was tacked onto another bill. It said that peaceful pro-life protesters could not claim bankruptcy if legal action was taken against them. I know there are many in the government who feel that Christians have no place in this country, or the world, for that matter. The biggest thing I fear is having my kids taken away for "religious abuse," or just plain abuse, bc we spank them when they need it.

freeandfun1 said:
Yup. But I also understand how SOME (not all) go through that phase. There was a point where I didn't appreciate what I had gained. And then I realized one day...

I often tell people that are just starting out in business, etc., "don't let the money change you". They all say (and I said the same thing), "oh, it won't". But one thing you realize, whether you want it to or not, money DOES change EVERYBODY once they get it. It is just a fact of life. You start living in different neighborhoods, hanging out with different people, eating nicer foods, drinking better wines, etc. There is NO WAY you can avoid it changing you. So we have to take a step back and realize that and then control it so we don't become snootie jerk-offs!

I see your point. That's why I refuse to leave the hood. :D

I also think some are driven to succeed for the wrong reasons. Then shit happens, like it always does (sorry Manu, not an optimist this morning). Sometimes people need to be shocked into seeing the value of non-material things.

mom4 said:
Sometimes I worry that the gov will really start to turn on the "Big Bad Christians," and we will have things taken away. I don't see it happening soon, but.... I remember the bill that was tacked onto another bill. It said that peaceful pro-life protesters could not claim bankruptcy if legal action was taken against them. I know there are many in the government who feel that Christians have no place in this country, or the world, for that matter. The biggest thing I fear is having my kids taken away for "religious abuse," or just plain abuse, bc we spank them when they need it.

We're allowed to spank our kids in Canada......within reason. :tng:

Said1 said:
We're allowed to spank our kids in Canada......within reason. :tng:
We're allowed to spank, too, in most states, but....

When my sister was shopping for her wedding, she had her young son with her and Mom. The boy was tired of shopping, and he's very headstrong anyway. He kept pulling things off shelves, running away, etc. Mom and my sister kept warning him, and finally, my sister marched him into the bathroom. She didn't even spank him that time, but some lady had been following them through the store, and when my sis went into the ladies room, the lady took action. When they left the store, and two cop cars pulled up, took my nephew away, and questioned him. Mom and sis were in tears. Sis is a teacher, and she was afraid for her job. After examining the boy, the police returned him. They said there was a special on the news last night about child abuse, and they always get a lot of calls the few days after. But the fear of that incident has stayed with us all. Coming out of a store and being arrested, having your child taken away without even being able to comfort him or explain to him, not knowing what these people are telling him... It's one of my biggest fears.

manu1959 said:

An honest person person looking for the truth (like you) will always come to this realization. We all eventually will eventually "lose" everything. The illusion that we can somehow protect ourselves with things ,people ideas etc. is exposed. We tend to think we will collect all these things and they will protect us or comfort us until we die but reality or even honest thinking about reality with dash our sense of safety.
I SERIOUSLY recommend reading " The Wisdom of Insecurity" by Alan Watts.
It addresses this issue directly and I consider it to be one of the most helpful books that I've ever read.

Forum List

Back