There are only midget soldiers in North Korea

Discussion in 'Asia' started by bluesky79, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bluesky79

bluesky79 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So far, North Korean soldiers stationed near the border are reportedly selected from families known to be most loyal to the communist regime to try to prevent military defections that may embarrass North Korea. Moreover, in order to look stronger, soldiers who are at least 170cm tall are stationed. However, nowadays, soldiers who are tall enough and from a loyal family are very difficult to find. Due to the chronic food shortages, many soldiers are malnourished and very short. They now place just tall soldiers even if they are not from a loyal family. From this we can infer the gravity of the food shortage in North Korea.

(http://www.voakorea.com/content/article/1545328.html)v

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    Bonzai!...
    :eusa_eh:
    Wave of nationalism sweeps through Northeast Asia
    December 26, 2012 - Both Koreas soon will be governed by the progeny of Cold War strongmen. China is in the hands of the son of one of Mao Zedong's revolutionary comrades. The incoming prime minister of Japan is a long-standing hawk and the grandson of one of Japan's war cabinet leaders.
    See also:

Japanese man becomes oldest in recorded history
    Sat, Dec 29, 2012 - STAMINA: Jiroemon Kimura broke the record for male longevity when he turned 115 years and 253 days old yesterday, and is also the world’s oldest living person

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  3. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,685
    My son recently went on a business trip to Korea and visited the DMZ. He said that within 2 hours of his visit some North Korean shot two officers and defected to the South, in the exact same area he was just at!

I've been stationed in Korea and been there 9 times but I never went to the DMZ, one of my only regrets in life. :frown:

When I was stationed there a North Korean was captured on Base, right in front of the Theater. And if you believe the story, a North Korean jet buzzed our runway. This was all back in 1988.

4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,894
    His new wifey must be givin' him some Pyongyang to soften him up...
    :tongue:
    Kim calls for ‘radical’ economic shift
    Wed, Jan 02, 2013 - SHIFT: Although the nation would turn its efforts toward building the economy, Kim made it clear it would not completely shift away from his father’s ‘military first policy