The Wizard of OZ

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Excuse me, the WONDERFUL Wizard of Oz. This is a 1910 silent film adaptation of the original 1901 book. AMAZING.

[youtube]GoRKha4fAjM[/youtube]

amazing...i have worked at the "land of oz" when they reopen the theme park in western nc...in october...i have never even heard of this silent film....i cant wait to see if fats cats has it....great thread

think of toto as the "people" etc...great political satire can be found...toto is always be rescued and dorothy is in search of something that doesnt exist

The original silent film is good, but it can't touch the adaptation directed by Victor Fleming. There are only four movies on IMDb that I have rated with perfect scores: The Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland's singing of Over the Rainbow is also my favorite vocal performance in a film. She was absolutely flawless.

I do like silent films, though. I watched City Lights tonight, actually.

The original silent film is good, but it can't touch the adaptation directed by Victor Fleming. There are only four movies on IMDb that I have rated with perfect scores: The Shawshank Redemption, Schindler's List, Pan's Labyrinth, and The Wizard of Oz. Judy Garland's singing of Over the Rainbow is also my favorite vocal performance in a film. She was absolutely flawless.

I do like silent films, though. I watched City Lights tonight, actually.

Excellent list to give perfect scores to and I agree with you completely about The Wizard of Oz.

Her performance in that movie is simply astounding and one of the best ever not just for an actress but overall.

Though I would rate a couple more movies perfectly, like The Godfather Part I and II. :lol:

Michael's character is actually what turns me off from the films the most. Vito was the man. Michael's just a wannabe.

Michael's character is actually what turns me off from the films the most. Vito was the man. Michael's just a wannabe.

Vito was the man. Michael was too though.

People identified with Vito because he was a man stuck because of fate. He never wanted to be Godfather and yet took up the reins because he had a starving family and to defend himself/friends.

Because of Godfather Part I, some people agree with Sonny that Mikey is just a simple college boy and a wannabe. He did never want to be in the family business though, but he stood up for his father when he felt it was necessary which I can identify with and see his reasoning for.

However, that is another debate for another time and I shall look at your list more tomorrow. I'm off to bed as I have to go shovel snow in a few hours. :lol:

Back on the topic of The Wizard of Oz. Has anyone else actually read the series of books? I've read them all, and not just the ones written by L. Frank Baum. The entire series is amazing. It's even better than the movie portrays, of course.

Back on the topic of The Wizard of Oz. Has anyone else actually read the series of books? I've read them all, and not just the ones written by L. Frank Baum. The entire series is amazing. It's even better than the movie portrays, of course.

I have three of the earliest editions of that series.

Grampa in Oz and Rinkidink in Oz and a very inferior (but older and probably more valued) version of the Road to Oz illustrated by Denslow.

I bought the first two (for $1 each) when I was 8 years old. They're valued at about $400, now.

Those two are on Rosetta...for free online reading.

I actually have. Amazing series, he really is an underrated writer.

I remember reading one when I was in Jr High. It was about the Tin Man and how he became a man of tin. Don't remember the title,but I remember it disturbed me back then at the tender age of 12. :tongue:

I remember reading one when I was in Jr High. It was about the Tin Man and how he became a man of tin. Don't remember the title,but I remember it disturbed me back then at the tender age of 12. :tongue:

The Tin Woodman of Oz?

Which is also currently being made into a 3D movie.

Yes, and I remember the illustrations scaring me as a kid. They were very vivid and creative from a child's viewpoint.

I loved the books!

Yes, and I remember the illustrations scaring me as a kid. They were very vivid and creative from a child's viewpoint.

I loved the books!

Well if you think about it, the movie was technically a horror movie.

Who DIDN'T have nightmares about those damn flying monkeys!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:lol:

Plus the Witch herself, houses falling on people, Glinda being a worse witch then The Wicked Witch of the West.

It only came out that way in the movie though for Glinda since they combined two characters (one being Glinda) from the book.

Forum List

Back