The wife and I are thinking about a Caribbean cruise

Discussion in 'Travel' started by miketx, Mar 11, 2017.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +34,817
  2. miketx

miketx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,163
    I just wanted opinions, that's all. We may not even go. Might buy a motor home instead.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Fueri

Fueri Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,431
    Abaco Islands

This is a small chain east of Grand Bahama. It's about an hour flight out of Fort Lauderdale or West Palm beach.

It has deserted islands east of great abaco island that you can hop out and explore. These are cays that form the eastern edge of the Sea of Abaco, which lies between Great Abaco and the cays. The Sea of Abaco is easily navigable on a DIY basis or you can hire a boat and captain to cruise you around either for the entire time or on a daily basis. We've always rented a house, but I know people do cruise it also.

This is one of the few places I've found that will actually allow you rent a boat, which is why I went there in the first place. This is due to the Sea of Abaco, which is fairly protected, uniformly shallow @ around 15ft, reasonably easy to navigate (plenty of maps available) and full of other folks if you get your ass in trouble (worst case, it's shallow so you can toss an anchor out and get on the radio). We rent a boat, fish, dive, island hop etc.

There are also great beach houses for rent both on Great Abaco and the outer Cays. If you don't care about being right on the beach housing gets less expensive. I've stayed at a few and could recommend a couple, based on what you are looking for in terms of location, atmosphere, proximity to civilization etc. For instance, Great Guana Cay is party Central, Lubber's Quarters is for fishermen (beaches suck, more like reef than sand), but super close to the deep stuff for marlin and other big daddy gamefish, Green Turtle Cay is a good balance wiith a small town, plenty of bars, restaurants, great beaches and easy access to fishing, diving, boating. We've stayed on Great Abaco also, but have kind of migrated to the outer keys.

I don't know what you guys are looking to do, but you can fish (DIY or hire), dive (great, clear water and a huge barrier reef), chill on some of the most pristine, deserted beaches you will find in this hemisphere, or party like a rock star.

we've done all of that, and then some in several trips to the Abacos at this point. High season is Juneish, with a sailing regatta going on or some such shit. It's also calmer in terms of wind and seas and the mahi and sailfish are running. December, Jan, Feb is low season. Less people, but more wind, which can be a bitch if you're looking to DIY cruise or fish or whatever.

see this forum abacoforum.com for more info. If you have questions just post them there. Someone will answer them, or PM me. I love the Abacos......

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 9:47 AM
  4. miketx

miketx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,163
    Thank you, I'll check it out.

5. Fueri

Fueri Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,431

Sure. Abaco is the shit. I found this place about 6-7 years ago when looking for a place I could rent a boat to diy fish and dive. Haven't gone anywhere else in the carribbean since.

I don't like crowds, but love the carribbean. I mean, who doesn't, but you get the best of both worlds here. We get a house, sometimes with friends, sometimes on our own, stock it with food and booze and it ends up being not all that crazy expensive. We're airline mile whores also, so normally we pay nothing on flights.

Decent beach house maybe 2500/week, food, booze another 1,000, boat another 1500 or so, daytrips, whatever can be more, car rental (or golf cart on the outer cays) another 300-400, throw in another 1,000 for who knows whats. All told I'd say the beach house route is about 5-6k per week, if you're renting a boat for the entire time and it's just the two of you.

Go with another couple, or an even larger group, and all that comes down quite a bit. If you don't stay on the beach, knock off about 1,000 from the housing. I've never done it cruiser style, so I don't know what that would look like but the folks on the forum could point you in the right direction to figure that out.

6. heil hitler

heil hitler Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Cruises never appealed to me. I have never been on one...trapped in a boat with a bunch of people...yich!
    I wouldn't worry too much about air ticket prices though. Fuel prices are one of the leading cost drivers for airline tickets. Oil is trading around $50/b keeping the tickets moderately priced.

CheapTickets Travel: Vacations, Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets & Airfares
    I have used this site at least 50 times...good prices. Always buy from a consolidator.

If you are ever interested in getting over to Asia let me know, I can give you a lot of pointers. If you want island hopping, next to Greece, SE Asia is island hopping heaven. Hire yourself a local fisherman or tour guide for $15-25 a day. Indonesia, Malay, Thai...gorgeous man. The wild east...that's traveling.

7. malnila

malnila Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Now getting a motor home sure appeals to me. Why not see our country. Also, I only see it getting more difficult to travel overseas in the next few years. It is what it is.