the Vietnam War and the American Revolution

Discussion in 'Military' started by elvis, May 9, 2009.

1. elvis

elvis BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,303
    It has been pointed out to me that the Viet Cong were terrorists during the Vietnam War. I agree with that. Their tactics were similar to what has been used in Iraq against Americans. If we believe the Patriot, it appears the Americans used similar tactics against the British in the American Revolution. However, if you call them terrorists, someone might crack your head open. Were the tactics really similar, and if so, why were the americans not terrorists, but the Viet Cong were?

2. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    The tactics were not similar, even if the goal was, independance.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Because one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter, in many respects.

Now clearly there are degrees of terrorism which are so far beyond the pale that nobody (probably) except the terrorists themselves supports them. The Berner-Meinhoff gang might be a good example of that kind of so called "terrorist"

But we live in an age where the struggle for the moral high ground is often fought on the battleground of semantics, don't we?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  4. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    its Baader Meinhoff, but yes, one mans freedom fighter is, was, and always will be another mans terrorist.

I dont know a lot about the revolutionary war tactics, but what the Vietcong did was fairly basic (and fairly well done) Guerillia stuff. A difference would be treatmeant of (same race, the continentals were not nice to Indians) prisoners, if I would be a German mercenary (there were quite a couple of them in the French phase of Vietnam, at that time the foreign legion spoke German) I would rather be captured by the revolutionary americans than by the Vietcong.
    On the defense of the Vietcong, treating prisoners well becomes more difficult against an enemy with air superiority and aerial mobility.

5. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    Show me a war that is not terrible or terrifying to someone involved and I'll show you a warrior who is not a terrorist to anyone.

-Joe

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Sad, but true.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Terrorism is a word like torture. It's all in the way the word is being twisted to suit one's argument.

The VC were in fact South Vietnamese who resisted Diem's government, and by extension, the US because we supported him. It should be noted that originally they were completely separate from North Vietnam and did no tshare the same goals.

The North used the VC to do its dirty work with little cost to its own military assets. They allowed the VC to be crushed from existence during Tet 68.

The VC was in fact, a group of insurgent rebels set on ousting the South Vietnames regimes which were made up of former French colonial puppets, and patterned their government after the French colonial governments.

Ideologically, we supported the wrong side in the Vietnam War based on fear of the spread of communism. That overrode any and all logic, facts and common sense.

Ho Chi Minh came to US first. He was labeled a commie and told to go pound sand. Only then did he turn to the Soviet Union for help. We instead supported a class bigot and snob, and ruthless authoritarian dictator against a nationalist who fought for independence and unification of his nation.

Not one of the US's brighter moments in history.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  8. mightypeon

mightypeon Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +83
    German Danish war, Austro Prussian war. (1862 and 1864 IIRC)

Both were "cabinett wars" between "equal civilised powers" where not that much (some real estate or some political power, but the national survival was guaranteed in both cases on both sides) was at stake. Both wars were carried out under significant international scrunity too. Also, both wars were very short.
    Last but not least, none of the war parties had any interest in leveling the countryside.

9. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Also, speaking of Ho Chi Minh...

We had a deal with him and we broke it, we shouldn't have. We told him we'd help Vietnam become independent of French rule if he helped us against the Japanese in WW2. He helped, and we handed Vietnam back over to the French when WW2 was over.

We should have kept to the deal. We would have had an ally in the region and the French haven't been much help to us since then anyway so it wouldn't have really mattered if we pissed them off. Besides they lost Vietnam to Japan, so why should they have got their colony back?

I've always felt the fear of communism was unfounded, but then I didn't live through those times so I don't know what it was really like. It seems to me if you just let communism run it's course it collapses on it's own. It's just not realistic, it looks so warm and fuzzy on paper but theory and reality are different.

10. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    If nobody was wounded it wasn't a war. If someone was wounded, someone was terrified.

-Joe