The Value of Free Speech

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
If you are an American, this is one of the most valuable rights afforded to you a citizen of the United States. Freedom of speech. It has been throughout history tested and tried, but it stood the test of time. People say, "My government infringes on my right to freedom of speech!" well, I would count my blessings if I were you. China does not value that right, and will without hesitation take it from you. It is getting to that point here, with the NSA watching what you do on the internet and who you call on the phone. Our freedom of speech is now in danger, in China it's gone. A chilling reminder of our future if we allow it to happen.

BEIJING—A forceful campaign of intimidation against China's most influential Internet users has cast a chill over public debate in the country and called into question the long-term viability of its most vibrant social-media platform.

In an offensive that some critics have likened to the political purges of the Mao era, Beijing has recently detained or interrogated several high-profile social-media figures, issued warnings to others to watch what they say and expanded criminal laws to make it easier to prosecute people for their online activity—all part of what one top propaganda official described on Tuesday as "the purification of the online environment."

China Intensifies Social-Media Crackdown - WSJ.com

If you are an American, this is one of the most valuable rights afforded to you a citizen of the United States. Freedom of speech. It has been throughout history tested and tried, but it stood the test of time. People say, "My government infringes on my right to freedom of speech!" well, I would count my blessings if I were you. China does not value that right, and will without hesitation take it from you. It is getting to that point here, with the NSA watching what you do on the internet and who you call on the phone. Our freedom of speech is now in danger, in China it's gone. A chilling reminder of our future if we allow it to happen.

BEIJING—A forceful campaign of intimidation against China's most influential Internet users has cast a chill over public debate in the country and called into question the long-term viability of its most vibrant social-media platform.

In an offensive that some critics have likened to the political purges of the Mao era, Beijing has recently detained or interrogated several high-profile social-media figures, issued warnings to others to watch what they say and expanded criminal laws to make it easier to prosecute people for their online activity—all part of what one top propaganda official described on Tuesday as "the purification of the online environment."

It’s more a chilling reminder of your ignorance of First Amendment jurisprudence and the shameful propensity by you and others on the right to engage in demagoguery.

Our freedom of speech is in no way ‘in danger,’ and to compare the United States with China concerning free expression rights is ignorant idiocy.

There's a bill now deciding who really deserves freedom of the press and who is just a mere blogger. That is chilling in an of itself, but remember last year when it came out that the DoJ was tapping the phones and computers of the press?

That censorship is very much closer than we like to think.

the nsa is infringing on our privacy

our speech may be used against us later

It’s more a chilling reminder of your ignorance of First Amendment jurisprudence and the shameful propensity by you and others on the right to engage in demagoguery.

Our freedom of speech is in no way ‘in danger,’ and to compare the United States with China concerning free expression rights is ignorant idiocy.

And this is a post reminding us all of how the left is willing to put up with almost anything as long as the name has a "D" after it.

Our Freedom of Speech rights are not in danger from the government, thankfully, so we're not going to lose that right in the forseeable future.

Unfortunately, intimidation does clearly exist within what remains of our culture in the form of Political Correctness, which intimidates people into not saying what they're thinking because they don't want to lose their job and/or they don't want to be branded with certain labels. The threat of those labels is used to take the conversation off it tracks and control it.

On the bright side, however, PC has been overplayed and is beginning to lose its effectiveness. People are finally telling these people to take their phony indignation, fold it up, and file it. Excellent!

I want to know what people are thinking and who agrees with them. Unlike the PC Police, I'm not afraid to have people who disagree with me have their opinions heard. I'm not going to do anything to intimidate someone from speaking their mind, and the PC crowd can't say that, no matter how much they try to spin it.

political-correctness_puppet.jpg

Our Freedom of Speech rights are not in danger from the government, thankfully, so we're not going to lose that right in the forseeable future.

Unfortunately, intimidation does clearly exist within what remains of our culture in the form of Political Correctness, which intimidates people into not saying what they're thinking because they don't want to lose their job and/or they don't want to be branded with certain labels. The threat of those labels is used to take the conversation off it tracks and control it.

On the bright side, however, PC has been overplayed and is beginning to lose its effectiveness. People are finally telling these people to take their phony indignation, fold it up, and file it. Excellent!

I want to know what people are thinking and who agrees with them. Unlike the PC Police, I'm not afraid to have people who disagree with me have their opinions heard. I'm not going to do anything to intimidate someone from speaking their mind, and the PC crowd can't say that, no matter how much they try to spin it.

Question..

Are you familiar with the latest from the Congress.. where they are going to define who is a journalist and who isn't? Who has 1st Amendment protection and who doesn't.

Clayton, that post is a reminder to me that people like you would rather be deluded than educated in the facts of life. You rarely have arguments when you confront me. All you have are ad hominem attacks and weak points to make in your arguments; all of which are easily swept aside. Can you give me examples of how 'our freedom of speech is not in danger'?

You're pretty lame trolling my threads like you do.

Question..

Are you familiar with the latest from the Congress.. where they are going to define who is a journalist and who isn't? Who has 1st Amendment protection and who doesn't.

No, do you have a link for that?

Clayton, that post is a reminder to me that people like you would rather be deluded than educated in the facts of life. You rarely have arguments when you confront me. All you have are ad hominem attacks and weak points to make in your arguments; all of which are easily swept aside. Can you give me examples of how 'our freedom of speech is not in danger'?

You're pretty lame trolling my threads like you do.

Yeah, Clayton! How DARE you post in a thread started by the unemployed gamer! When will you begin to have an argument when you confront him? And..the arguments that you have (yes...I just said you do not have arguments) have only weak points!

When will you start to learn how to debate super hero anime style?

There is no ‘PC police.’

Private citizens are at liberty to speak out against the words and actions of other private citizens found to be offensive or inappropriate, regardless how subjective or capricious the grounds for the objection might perceived to be. That those who engage in the offensive or inappropriate speech allow themselves to be intimidated or shut down by those objecting to their speech is the fault of those engaged in the offensive speech, not the citizens objecting.

This is the nature of a free and democratic society, what Justice Kennedy refers to as the constitution with a lower case ‘c,’ the discourse, debate, disagreement, and dissent of a free people to determine themselves what speech is or is not appropriate, absent interference by legislative measures or rulings by the courts.

It is to be celebrated and encouraged, not ridiculed as being ‘PC.’

Question..

No, do you have a link for that?

[MENTION=34298]Mac1958[/MENTION]:

Here:

Bill to protect journalists clears Senate panel - latimes.com

There is no ‘PC police.’

Private citizens are at liberty to speak out against the words and actions of other private citizens found to be offensive or inappropriate, regardless how subjective or capricious the grounds for the objection might perceived to be. That those who engage in the offensive or inappropriate speech allow themselves to be intimidated or shut down by those objecting to their speech is the fault of those engaged in the offensive speech, not the citizens objecting.

This is the nature of a free and democratic society, what Justice Kennedy refers to as the constitution with a lower case ‘c,’ the discourse, debate, disagreement, and dissent of a free people to determine themselves what speech is or is not appropriate, absent interference by legislative measures or rulings by the courts.

Who came up with the term "man caused disaster"? Or who gets upset when you utter the term "illegal immigrant" and contend they are simply "migrating"?

Yes, you liberals are the PC police. Taking the "Christ" out of Christmas, having gender neutral bathrooms, multi-cultural displays instead of nativity scenes... don't get me started.

Who came up with the term "man caused disaster"? Or who gets upset when you utter the term "illegal immigrant" and contend they are simply "migrating"?

Yes, you liberals are the PC police. Taking the "Christ" out of Christmas, having gender neutral bathrooms, multi-cultural displays instead of nativity scenes... don't get me started.

It's doubtful this site has enough bandwidth to list all the words and phrases the PC Police have created and then enforced as they attempt to control the conversation.

They'll deny it to their last breath, which is to be expected. Denial is one of the primary tenets of ideology. But PC is losing its steam. Awesome.

There is no ‘PC police.’

Now THAT is a compelling argument. You have absolutely nailed it. I especially like the "man caused disaster" one. Since I have never even heard that term before, it is especially interesting.

Nobody gets upset by the term "illegal immigrant", dummy. There are some people who are offended when they are called "illegal aliens". You know....because they are not creatures from outer space. But nobody has ever been fired for using the term.

Have you ever been in a gender neutral bathroom? Have you ever seen one?

Christ out of Christmas? That is just silly.

Way to go!

By the way. You found that link for Mac. Did you read it? Do you agree with the way the bill was characterized by StephenR?

Last edited:

[email protected]

https://my.barackobama.com/page/s/report-an-attack

Oh, look: Two methods this Administration created to allow people to report their friends' and neighbors' expressing dangerous, unapproved opinions.

I never thought the United States government would stoop so low. It's the kind of attack on free speech that only progressive Communist nations -- like China -- employ.

Naturally, you have no problem with this, right?

OP is saying what happens in China could happen here, as well, if we allow it to happen.

So it looks like once again, you're full of crap.

Forum List

Back