The Unsatisfying Truth About Hateful Online Rhetoric And Violence

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This doesn't sound very scientific to me, but is that really the point of the article?

Two angry men submerged themselves in the far-right internet. One committed murder. The other walked away. Why?

sierratall-v2-28972-1531920669-0_large.jpg

Joseph Bernstein
BuzzFeed News Reporter

Posted on November 24, 2018, at 11:32 a.m. ET

We call them warning signs, but we only seem to see them too late.

Before he murdered 10 people in Toronto with his car, Alek Minassian warned on Facebook of an “incel rebellion.” Before he shot to death 11 Jews in a synagogue in Pittsburgh, Robert Bowers announced his actions on the social network Gab: “I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.” Before he killed two women in a Florida yoga studio, Scott Beierle ranted about women and minorities in a series of YouTube videos.

In the weeks following the Tree of Life slayings, and after years of disinterest from law enforcement and the media, the dangers posed by far-right extremists have finally come to the fore of national attention. Much of the discussion has centered on chaotic digital spaces like Gab, where Bowers left a history of anti-Semitic posts. These are disturbing communities, where the culture war’s right-wing vanguard gather, and, we are told, hateful people radicalize into dangerous ones. The question here, one of the signal questions of the Trump age, is: Does hateful rhetoric lead to violence?

Who is the kind of person for whom saturation in far-right words and ideas poses an urgent risk — and who isn’t?

It’s a very good question for cable news, because it can be argued over tendentiously forever and never really answered. It’s also woefully simplistic. Of course hateful rhetoric can lead to violence. Of course hateful rhetoric doesn’t always lead to violence. A monofocus on hateful words and the communities that allow and encourage them ignores the simple fact that the vast majority of people exposed to them will never murder anyone, and conversely, that plenty of potentially violent extremists don’t post publicly on the internet. A better question, from a public safety perspective: Who is the kind of person for whom saturation in far-right words and ideas poses an urgent risk — and who isn’t?

Continued

This doesn't sound very scientific to me, but is that really the point of the article?

Two angry men submerged themselves in the far-right internet. One committed murder. The other walked away. Why?

Joseph Bernstein
BuzzFeed News Reporter

Before he murdered 10 people in Toronto with his car, Alek Minassian warned on Facebook of an “incel rebellion.” Before he shot to death 11 Jews in a synagogue in Pittsburgh, Robert Bowers announced his actions on the social network Gab: “I can’t sit by and watch my people get slaughtered. Screw your optics, I’m going in.” Before he killed two women in a Florida yoga studio, Scott Beierle ranted about women and minorities in a series of YouTube videos.

In the weeks following the Tree of Life slayings, and after years of disinterest from law enforcement and the media, the dangers posed by far-right extremists have finally come to the fore of national attention. Much of the discussion has centered on chaotic digital spaces like Gab, where Bowers left a history of anti-Semitic posts. These are disturbing communities, where the culture war’s right-wing vanguard gather, and, we are told, hateful people radicalize into dangerous ones. The question here, one of the signal questions of the Trump age, is: Does hateful rhetoric lead to violence?

Who is the kind of person for whom saturation in far-right words and ideas poses an urgent risk — and who isn’t?

It’s a very good question for cable news, because it can be argued over tendentiously forever and never really answered. It’s also woefully simplistic. Of course hateful rhetoric can lead to violence. Of course hateful rhetoric doesn’t always lead to violence. A monofocus on hateful words and the communities that allow and encourage them ignores the simple fact that the vast majority of people exposed to them will never murder anyone, and conversely, that plenty of potentially violent extremists don’t post publicly on the internet. A better question, from a public safety perspective: Who is the kind of person for whom saturation in far-right words and ideas poses an urgent risk — and who isn’t?

Continued

Yeah, I read that. BUZZFEED. Of course they focus on who they consider "the right", but really aren't. It is the left that most often acts on their basest impulses. Almost always. Of course, you're blind to lefty violence.

Why the stereotypes? I'm "far-right", heavily-armed, about as redneck as they come, and I don't feel an ounce of animosity toward those of the Jewish faith. I as most conservatives believe, that Israel is our most important ally in the Middle East. God bless 'em, we should arm them to the teeth. I might find the liberal ideology and the Democrat Party disgusting, but that doesn't mean I want to commit violence.

"Does hateful rhetoric lead to violence?"

Indeed it does. As in all these cases >>

th

th
th

th

th

Why the stereotypes? I'm "far-right", heavily-armed, about as redneck as they come, and I don't feel an ounce of animosity toward those of the Jewish faith. I as most conservatives believe, that Israel is our most important ally in the Middle East. God bless 'em, we should arm them to the teeth. I might find the liberal ideology and the Democrat Party disgusting, but that doesn't mean I want to commit violence.
Right, you only wanna shoot the brown folks.

RACE CARD ALARM! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Nope, he's in another thread right now talking about shooting immigrants at the border.

Quit being a racist moron. Or can you not help yourself?
I'm not the one threatening to shoot folks. In the kneecaps as I recall.

Idiot. Your union teachers neglected to teach you how to read. The exact quote was "A few snipers and some well-placed shots to the kneecaps would do the trick." How is anyone but an idiot like yourself, suppose to interpret that as a "threat"?

Actually, I think it would be a grand idea if our military used the same tactics the Israeli IDF do to the Palestinians: They use suppressed and scoped Ruger 10/22 rifles to pop the little suckers in the kneecaps.

Left, you only want to murder white folk. ALL white folk, as in eradicate every last white human on earth.

RACE CARD ALARM! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
Nope, he's in another thread right now talking about shooting immigrants at the border.

Quit being a racist moron. Or can you not help yourself?
I'm not the one threatening to shoot folks. In the kneecaps as I recall.

Idiot. Your union teachers neglected to teach you how to read. The exact quote was "A few snipers and some well-placed shots to the kneecaps would do the trick." How is anyone but an idiot like yourself, suppose to interpret that as a "threat"?

Actually, I think it would be a grand idea if our military used the same tactics the Israeli IDF do to the Palestinians: They use suppressed and scoped Ruger 10/22 rifles to pop the little suckers in the kneecaps.
You volunteered to do the shooting.

That was a threat. Now you are backing down like a coward.

Left, you only want to murder white folk. ALL white folk, as in eradicate every last white human on earth.
Wrong. I don't wanna murder anyone. There has been quite enough killing already.

Wrong. I don't wanna murder anyone. There has been quite enough killing already.

Tell that to the brothers in Chicago then. Or don't you have the balls to do something about it?

Tell that to the brothers in Chicago then. Or don't you have the balls to do something about it?
I don't want them killing anyone either, but I fail to see what that has to do with this situation. You are on record volunteering to shoot people, and you accuse me of wanting to murder folks with no evidence. That's where we are here, now stop trying to evade the issue.

Joseph Bernstein
BuzzFeed News Reporter

Continued
Of course, we’ve gotten to the point where the term ‘far right’ is no longer accurate; indeed, we see hate speech directed against immigrants, Muslims, and transgender Americans from all points on the right side of the political spectrum.

It is not at all unusual to hear conservatives advocate that immigrants seeking asylum should be ‘shot,’ that transgender Americans are ‘mentally ill,’ and to hear the usual hateful rhetoric that Muslims are ‘un-American’ and ‘terrorists.’

Hateful online rhetoric is not the sole purview of the ‘far right.’

"Does hateful rhetoric lead to violence?"

Indeed it does. As in all these cases >>

th

th
th

th

th
Ya left.out a few incidents. Like the parkland school.shootijg, Dylan roof's escapades, the MAGAbomber, the recent synagogue shooting, that incel type that shot up the yoga studio, I'm.sure I'm forgetting a bunch, the they happen so often these days.....

I don't want them killing anyone either, but I fail to see what that has to do with this situation. You are on record volunteering to shoot people, and you accuse me of wanting to murder folks with no evidence. That's where we are here, now stop trying to evade the issue.

Go back and quote my original post. If through your own inability to read plain English you somehow interpreted that as my wanting to "volunteer" to shoot anyone, you're not as well-educated as you'd like people to believe.

Trump's military will do a sufficient amount of "shooting" if the need arises.

Forum List

Back