The top 15 cities where you can live like royalty on $60,000 a year

I remember that. The Brenham salt dome explosion was pretty intense as well. I was on the west side of Houston 75 miles away and the walls actually shook.

Wayman Gordon out in Cypress; Union Carbide in Texas City. I had forgotten about the Saltdome. We were living at 290/Loop and I remember asking the person in the car with me if she heard it too.

We had a delivery guy who was over on Tidal Road in Deer Park when Phillips blew up; he thought it was a wind gust that nearly blew his truck off the road.

You referring to the Texas city explosion in 47?

You were living about 4 miles from where I was working at the time of the Brenham explosion.

Seem to remember UC having a blast circa 1994 or so. TC in 47 rang church bells in St. Louis (or so I heard).

You're thinking of the ammonia release.

Oh...is that all? LOL

I suppose we could just shut down all the petrochemical plants in the country.

I’ll be pondering that when I’m stuck on the 405 in a few months….”Bear said nobody can afford to live here????”

You do know a Difference between living and surviving

Well......I have spent time in Houston....and I live in San Francisco.

I do know the difference between living and surviving. No disrespect to those who love Houston, but you can have those long hot humid months- I will walk from my house down to the beach and stroll along watching ships going into the Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Its okay; those who live in Houston have no self-respect.

You're not even considering all the refineries, and chemical plants. I'll bet you just get fireworks on the 4th of July. Houston gets them every time a plant explodes. Very festive, and several times a year.

Lived not far from Phillips 66 along the channel when it took it's moonshot. Blew out our backyard facing windows. I remember the glass cut some holes in the shower curtain.

Explosions aren't the only fun things around there. Going west on 225 in Pasadena, look to your right toward the ship channel. There is a huge pile of dirt next to the channel, that goes on for a mile or so,and has been there a long time. They can't move that and take advantage of that prime ship channel acreage, because it's radio active, and they don't have any place to move it.
Touring the Scenic Phosphogypsum ‘Alps’ of Pasadena | Swamplot

You do know a Difference between living and surviving

I do know the difference between living and surviving. No disrespect to those who love Houston, but you can have those long hot humid months- I will walk from my house down to the beach and stroll along watching ships going into the Bay under the Golden Gate Bridge.

You're not even considering all the refineries, and chemical plants. I'll bet you just get fireworks on the 4th of July. Houston gets them every time a plant explodes. Very festive, and several times a year.

Lived not far from Phillips 66 along the channel when it took it's moonshot. Blew out our backyard facing windows. I remember the glass cut some holes in the shower curtain.

Explosions aren't the only fun things around there. Going west on 225 in Pasadena, look to your right toward the ship channel. There is a huge pile of dirt next to the channel, that goes on for a mile or so,and has been there a long time. They can't move that and take advantage of that prime ship channel acreage, because it's radio active, and they don't have any place to move it.

Hey, that big yellow pile of sulphur is a landmark for planes landing at Hobby. Move it and you may have planes landing on Highway 3.

Wayman Gordon out in Cypress; Union Carbide in Texas City. I had forgotten about the Saltdome. We were living at 290/Loop and I remember asking the person in the car with me if she heard it too.

We had a delivery guy who was over on Tidal Road in Deer Park when Phillips blew up; he thought it was a wind gust that nearly blew his truck off the road.

You referring to the Texas city explosion in 47?

You were living about 4 miles from where I was working at the time of the Brenham explosion.

Seem to remember UC having a blast circa 1994 or so. TC in 47 rang church bells in St. Louis (or so I heard).

You're thinking of the ammonia release.

Oh...is that all? LOL

I suppose we could just shut down all the petrochemical plants in the country.

Well, either that or make them run safely so they don't blow up random people every so often, and poison even more with their unexpected surprising gas releases and general pollution. Of course that doesn't sit too well with the anti regulation bunch.

Hey, that big yellow pile of sulphur is a landmark for planes landing at Hobby. Move it and you may have planes landing on Highway 3.

I've run my boat past that pile many times.
Houston is where you go to make money,you dont retire there.

Not sulfur. Radio active Phosphogypsum. There are so many planes, till I wouldn't be surprised no matter where they might land.

I am not shocked to see my city high on the list. The cost of living here in Pittsburgh is insanely cheap.
Same here in Cleveland, although it is amazing to see Cleveland near the top of any list considering the last 40-50 years. If they could just do something about the schools it would be a great city to live in.

The public schools here in the city are nothing to write home about as well, but affordable housing in the suburbs/city is a major draw. Also, we many great parochial school.

I made lots of money there before retirement. Still no excuse to let them by with no more regulation than they have.

I think that's the official motto actually. LOL

I think that's the official motto actually. LOL

No doubt the scenery here sucks,but it's a relatively short drive to the Hill Country or Corpus.
And the one shining star in Houston is the restaurants,no matter your taste you'll find your place in Houston.
More restaurants than any city in the country.

Talk about hijackers of a thread..

But it's all good you guys are getting along

Just kidding of course.
giphy.gif

I am not shocked to see my city high on the list. The cost of living here in Pittsburgh is insanely cheap.
Same here in Cleveland, although it is amazing to see Cleveland near the top of any list considering the last 40-50 years. If they could just do something about the schools it would be a great city to live in.

The public schools here in the city are nothing to write home about as well, but affordable housing in the suburbs/city is a major draw. Also, we many great parochial school.

Again same here. You can literally cross one street and have excellent schools.

The housing blows my mind. I have a buddy that lives in Lakewood, Ohio first suburb west of Cleveland, who rented his home for the rep convention. He has a big house right on the lake. It's probably valued in the mid 300s. I helped him barbecue for his guests. The lowest estimate we got from the guests for that home, pretty much any where else, was 875. Some were talking 2-3 mil. What really blew their minds was that you could easily be on Public Square, downtown Cleveland in 15 minutes. You could have a boat in the water at a public launch in 20 min. The theatre district, half hour with parking.

I grew up there and as a kid we could get on a bus and be in the old municipal stadium for a baseball game(now the site of Browns stadium) in 11 min, we used to time it, and I do mean IN the stadium. Be on a highway out of town in 5 min, the airport 15-20. The cultural district, art museum, natural history museum, Case Western Res Univ, Severance Hall(Cle Orchestra) are waaay over on the east side 30-40min. These people couldn't believe it. I was talking fishing with one guy and showed him a picture of a 25" steelhead trout I caught the year before in a local stream, he said where, I said about 4-5 min away by car 10-15 by bicycle.

It was fun listening to them talk about spending 2-3 hours a day getting to work. My buddy runs his construction business out of the upstairs room in his garage. His wife is a lawyer and has an office in the basement. I enjoyed telling them that I lived way out west, it took me an extra 10-15 min to get to all of the above. Cleveland(and Pittsburgh for that matter) have been knocked for so long it's kinda fun to see others realize just how good we have it.

I do have to knock Pittsburgh though, it's a city ordinance, plus both of my parents are from Johnstown and family Steeler fans have not been kind over the years. I will say, however, that as Cleveland fans we LOVE hating Pittsburgh fans, not like Yankee fans that we just plain hate.

One other note I'm a firm believer in "parochial" schools. At least K-8. I'm a product as are my children. And my local schools are quite good. While I'm not even remotely religious, I have money put away to put my grandchildren into Catholic schools. I and my children went to public high schools and were light years ahead of the products of good public schools..

Note to libs: can you comprehend now that more money does not equal more wealth?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/top-15-cities-america-where-132920160.html

The best places are likely the ones where you can find a job, earn a good salary and buy a nice home. In a 2016 report, job-hunting site Glassdoor calculated the top spots where your pay will go furthest, based on salaries and home values. The jobs site came up with a cost of living ratio — a city's median base salary divided by its median home value. (A higher ratio number is better.)

Noticeably missing are some of America's biggest cities. While you can certainly earn more in hubs like New York and San Francisco, fewer people can afford to buy a house or an apartment there.

Here are the top 15 places where an average paycheck goes a very long way and the quality of life is great (even without a view of the Golden Gate).

15. Atlanta

Cost of living ratio: 37%

Median base salary: $60,000

Median home value: $163,000

Number of open jobs: 90,739

14. Columbus, Ohio

Median base salary: $57,000

Median home value: $154,600

Number of open jobs: 30,728

13. Oklahoma City

Cost of living ratio: 38%

Median base salary: $50,000

Median home value: $132,500

Number of open jobs: 16,388

12. Houston

Median base salary: $65,000

Median home value: $172,100

Number of open jobs: 72,033

11. Buffalo, NY

Cost of living ratio: 39%

Median home value: $128,100

Number of open jobs: 13,599

10. Louisville, Ky.

Median base salary: $54,000

Median home value: $137,500

Number of open jobs: 22,693

9. Kansas City, Mo.

Median base salary: $58,000

Median home value: $147,500

Number of open jobs: 35,639

8. Birmingham, Ala.

Cost of living ratio: 40%

Median base salary: $50,800

Median home value: $128,000

Number of open jobs: 15,299

I am sure that many of those places are nice to live in.

But the reason why its cheaper to buy homes in those cities is because there is just much less demand for those homes.

Yes- it sucks that the cost of housing in San Francisco has skyrocketed(again- not the first time)- but that is the market at work- more people want to live in San Francisco than there is housing for.

And unlike a place like Houston- we can't just grow outward and build on and on.

The demand is the same, moron. The difference is that the state and local government doesn't regulate land use and housing to the point where the cost is driven into the stratosphere. Government is the reason for the difference in the price, and it's the only reason.

There is plenty of vacant land right near San Francisco, but no one is allowed to build on it.

Note to libs: can you comprehend now that more money does not equal more wealth?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/top-15-cities-america-where-132920160.html

The best places are likely the ones where you can find a job, earn a good salary and buy a nice home. In a 2016 report, job-hunting site Glassdoor calculated the top spots where your pay will go furthest, based on salaries and home values. The jobs site came up with a cost of living ratio — a city's median base salary divided by its median home value. (A higher ratio number is better.)

Noticeably missing are some of America's biggest cities. While you can certainly earn more in hubs like New York and San Francisco, fewer people can afford to buy a house or an apartment there.

Here are the top 15 places where an average paycheck goes a very long way and the quality of life is great (even without a view of the Golden Gate).

15. Atlanta

Median base salary: $60,000

Median home value: $163,000

Number of open jobs: 90,739

14. Columbus, Ohio

Median base salary: $57,000

Median home value: $154,600

Number of open jobs: 30,728

13. Oklahoma City

Median home value: $132,500

Number of open jobs: 16,388

12. Houston

Median base salary: $65,000

Median home value: $172,100

Number of open jobs: 72,033

11. Buffalo, NY

Median home value: $128,100

Number of open jobs: 13,599

10. Louisville, Ky.

Median base salary: $54,000

Median home value: $137,500

Number of open jobs: 22,693

9. Kansas City, Mo.

Median base salary: $58,000

Median home value: $147,500

Number of open jobs: 35,639

8. Birmingham, Ala.

Cost of living ratio: 40%

Median base salary: $50,800

Median home value: $128,000

Number of open jobs: 15,299

I am sure that many of those places are nice to live in.

But the reason why its cheaper to buy homes in those cities is because there is just much less demand for those homes.

Yes- it sucks that the cost of housing in San Francisco has skyrocketed(again- not the first time)- but that is the market at work- more people want to live in San Francisco than there is housing for.

And unlike a place like Houston- we can't just grow outward and build on and on.

I was going more for the wealth is different then more money angle on this thread..

Get sick of libs thinking higher wages means more wealth

I understand you being upset that your belief doesn't match with reality. More money does mean higher wealth, even if you don't think it should.

What it's to complicated for you to figure out?

What's the point of having more money if you can't afford the rent sport?
Leftwingers love paying $ 1 million for a three bedroom ranch.

Forum List

Back